Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-08
14:11:06
 The Pit!

The PitAfter 30 plus years, here's my next release for the Plus4! I wanted to revisit the game format from Icicle Works, and correct some of the mistakes I made. Most notably the lack of a smooth scrolling window. I also wanted to bring Prospector Pete along for the ride too, and so The Pit was born. It has taken me a long time to make this release, owing to a distinct lack of spare time and external 'real life' factors. I am truly grateful to everyone who has helped me on the way - MIK for some great tunes, Luca for his tunes, brilliant sound effects, testing and suggestions for improvements. I'm also deeply indebted to Degauss for his amazing music player, my work colleague Michele for his great level designs, Infin for his creative input early on, and MikeDX & Mad for their encouragement. And of course all Plus4 World patrons - this is for you.

Cheers,
Doug

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-08
14:11:06
 Re: The Pit!

I am not that big fan of Boulderdash games, but this is different: stuffed with weird foes and tremendous riddles to solve, The Pit offers 36 levels of frantic gravitational gameplay, being a sort of ultimate Boulderdash game, including elements from both the two major Doug's classics: Icicle Works and Prospector Pete. Magic pits to fill with stones, portals, warp holes, dynamite, spades and more will steal you from real life, have great sessions of play!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2020-08-08
15:14:35

Holy cow!!!! There goes my night! grin

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-08-08
17:53:30

Wow! Great! Just got a first score.. But seems I am not the best at handling dynamite.. A gem! happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-08
18:47:12

Just to prove that we're all human, there was a bug in that 1st release!
Csabo has kindly updated the PRG with the fixed version. If you had made it to level 20 you wouldn't have gotten out of it.

Enjoy! And if you do spot any bugs please let me know!

Doug

Posted By

aNdy/Cosine
on 2020-08-08
18:47:30

I'm rubbish at this game, but that's my problem. The game itself is fantastic! Great job! I'm loving the little touches like the screen fades, etc. Really classy!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-08
19:25:51

Wow, such a gem! It is so polished. Nice transitions and effects, fantastic music, and very fluid gameplay!
It is a masterpiece, thank you Doug!

I saw some Boulderdash type of games on PC, Amiga and Atari ST too, but maybe the Pit! is the best ever made. (OK, Supaplex is very close too happy )

Posted By

Verona
on 2020-08-08
20:32:13

"If you had made it to level 20 you wouldn't have gotten out of it."

I am so terrible, that I didn't get out from the first level. grin grin

But anyways, the game is very polished.

But I hope, there will be a picture-illustrated manual, too.

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-09
01:28:59

Verona oh well, expect an illustrated guide to the game elements to be added asap wink

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-08-09
03:40:52

Fantastic! Can't wait to play this one. The dedication in this community is superb, well done Doug! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-09
06:36:11

Interview with the author! <3

https://ramokromok.com/features/interview-with-icicle-works-programmer-doug-turner-plus-new-plus-4-game

Posted By

George
on 2020-08-09
08:20:34

Great game and great interview, Master Doug! Very interesting how got back to the commodore plus/4 and 16, after doing so many most challenging projects all these years. I still consider coding for 80's 8bit homecomputers most challinging, fun and rewarding. Waiting for your next masterpiece!

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-09
08:35:24

A weird tech note about ingame music: one music is a full 2 voices to be used in normal cases, one music is a short two voices jingle for very quick levels, one music is a one voice only to be used in levels with arguable massive usage of the sfx.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-08-09
09:19:15

Well, Christmas came early for the Plus/4 scene! I mean, this is the type of stuff that players used to pay good money for, when they bought games on cassettes. Okay, to be fair, this is much better than a lot of old commercial games. I mean, it's 2020, and The Pit is obviously a labour of love.

It oozes polish everywhere. Lots of personality, new twists on old ideas, great graphics, solid game-play, just... great in every way. Thank you Doug!

To everyone who got stuck on the first level (as I did on my first plays), you've only scratched the surface. Reading the manual should help (I had a laugh about block chain technology), but as a first hint, if you haven't figured it out yet: you can pull boulders happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-09
09:23:52

I really like the "In the Hall of the Mountain King" themed music happy

About the first level stuck:
I had it, after searching for a dynamit and could not find any, almost wrote, that the "pull function does not work for me", when I realized my key mapping is wrong for the Fire button (Shift instead of the usual Ctrl). Level done. Oooops :-)

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-09
11:18:35

Hints already Csabo???
Just to add - don't forget to watch the demo, and don't be afraid to use the gratuitous cheat options from the title screen. And if you're really really stuck you can always bale out of that level (pause and type CHEAT).

MMS - that tune, and the title screen tune are courtesy of MIK, with Luca providing the main in-game themes. I'm totally in awe of their abilities!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-08-09
12:32:45

I must check this one out, but your games are sometimes rock-hard mate, lol. Looks like this is going to be your best yet though. Did you use any of the same code from Icicle Works?

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-09
12:44:18

Baz no, that wasn't an option - source for that was lost years ago. It was a from scratch effort. I could kind of remember what I did in Icicle Works, but I took a different approach with The Pit (I've got a few more miles on the programming clock now!). The new game engine is way faster than the old one, as is the screen updater.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-10
01:13:44

The speed improvement is really evident.
I really like the "look around" feature...

Posted By

register
on 2020-08-10
13:53:30

Very very good game even if damn difficult for my skills!!!!
I don't get the reference about the two monsters: where do they come from?

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-10
15:13:33

register it does get easier with practice, I promise! The two monsters in question don't appear until quite a few levels in. When you see them you'll get it. I hope!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-10
17:29:32

well I stuck on Level 3, 1 gem is still missing. Retry happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-08-10
21:21:24

I’m on level 3 too. This game is incredibly well polished. Much smoother than Icicle Works. What great originality on a classic genre. Can you imagine if this was released back in the day? Hope you got more game ideas up your sleeve Doug. What with Berks Four last year, it’s always great to see the legends return and in better form than ever.

Posted By

register
on 2020-08-11
05:49:51

Well I am still stuck on level 1!!! And I already see the little green dragon and the other puple thingy there... However I cannot realize how to move to the bottom half of the screen after having collected all the gems there...

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-11
05:55:17

register enter the tiny horizontal path from the right side of the level and run like hell! grin Stuck on a level and burning too see some further ones? Type (something) at the titlescreen!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-11
12:51:36

yepp, it is pretty easy to die in this game, if you make a bad step, but with training it is a correct gameplay. In some ZX Spectrum games you just cannot prevent to be hit by the enemies.

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-08-11
12:52:55

The game is brilliant, great job Doug. I have just scratched the surface of this game, so much to do!

I made a short video on my channel to try and promote the community and the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAnAWjgoBpE

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-11
15:16:40

Retro Recollections Wow! Thanks for that video - it's awesome!

Also I just noticed that the description states 'PAL only'. Nope. Does PAL & NTSC,, or it should do! Anyone got an NTSC box to try it on?

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2020-08-11
20:39:57

This game is so good! I keep playing it and progressing a little further each time. So far I have managed level 9 and 9690 points with a straight play through. I'll keep persisting though.

Doug, based on the Game Over screen it looks like there are 38 levels, is that right?

As a side note Icicle Works, Fingers Malone and Prospector Pete were some of my favourite game back then. I rememeber the frustration of playing Fingers Malone and it to be so frustrating, but I kept coming back to it!

Posted By

Doug
on 2020-08-12
04:09:22

Hi AaronGale. Thanks! Really appreciate it! I'm impressed that you've made it so deep already - that's really encouraging. There are actually 36 playable levels in total. The final two are not playable - they are the demo level and the game over level. It was just convenient to keep all the levels in a single structure, hence why you see level 37 and 38 on those levels.

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2020-08-13
14:03:08

Just submitted the first score for this, I played really badly at the start but thought I would keep going.

Level 10 and 11080 is my best so far.

Getting to level 10 without spare lives makes it very hit and miss as the specific way to pass this level seems very dependent on the enemy mechanics.

Still loving the game though.

Posted By

MIK
on 2020-08-16
15:56:33

Nice to see folks enjoying Doug's new masterpiece The Pit!

As you can tell there is more to this game than meets the eye and so people get a better idea.... The Pit is more a Puzzle game that's in the style of Boulder Dash/Icicle Works. Think along the lines of Atari Lynx/C64 Chips Challenge and your be on the right path. While it's easy to dive straight in just as if your playing Rockman in that action arcade 'grab everything and go' style - just remember there is more than way one to skin a chicken and some things are like they are because it goes above and beyond the games from yesteryear. happy
If there is one thing to add that you may of missed, (more so if you have jumped straight in): Press Space Bar to pause the game, move the joystick to free view the level. wink

Well done Doug with all the hard work you've put into this Diamond, it was a 'gem' before it was even finished!! It's hard to put in to words but this is so awesome as it has that magic, quality and professionalism that we grew to love from all the top devs of the 1980's but at the same time it's so modern with all it's features, options, gameplay and music from Luca! Proper mind blowing. Who would of believed one of our coding heroes when we were kids would come back for more when we were scratching 50 years old (next month for me), no way!!! Man it almost brings a tear to the eye, a big lump in the throat any way! happy

Glad I could help in a small way with the title tune. A little something I came up with on a Yamaha PSS780 and it really was done for this game, just it was easier to know what I was going to do before taking on the mighty Knaecketracker which we give BIG thanks too as well.
And yeah the Manic Miner jingle, I presented it to Doug as some sort of Easter Egg, as a little nod to Manic Miner him self with the shared theme of being underground in a mine and all that... Cool that Doug liked it enough to add it to the game! As this jingle was borrowed I made it sound like a clock ticking to make it more unique to TED, glad you liked it MMS! And also hats off to Luca for his awesome tunes!!

Well done again Doug, lot's to see and do and one that will last the next 30+++ years and then some we hope! BTW it would not of mattered if it released in 2021 or even later but hey 2020 looks so cool on the title screen it just had to come out now. Cheers Doug and best wishes!!! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-16
17:37:01

@MIK: well said! and thank you for the great tune.
@Luca: thank you for the rest, I could clearly identify the style happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-09-02
10:31:38

Any news as to when the commercial release is out?
Link: http://www.psytronik.net/newsite/index.php/plus4/133-pit

Hope they are not stuck trying to play test it before release. wink

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-09-05
17:24:24

Hey MIK! Thanks for the nudge. In fact Michele was asking me the exact same thing earlier this week. The simple answer is 'nothing to report'. The last I heard from Kenz, he was planning to release it in July but given that that's long gone, I guess that didn't happen! I'll drop him a line and see what's going on. I'd like to make a down payment on a Lamborghini soon, so those royalty checks would come in handy! wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-09-06
01:59:29

Well, probably all the efforts of Kenz have been spent into the release of the most wanted Soulless II game for C64, and once the big wave will be gone, there should be more room for the rest of the releases wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-09-06
03:50:00

Thanks Doug, shame it's been delayed but yeah September just reminds you the days are running out for this year. I started some Xmas shopping last month just in case there is a mad covid rush to the shops. wink
No need to panic, just as long as it's coming home that's all that matters. happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-09-06
05:16:24

MIK the word from Kenz is that it's still "coming soon", and to keep the faith! I think it's been a busy time for retro releases - so whilst the delay is frustrating, it's also kind of encouraging!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-09-06
05:47:35

Hey great news. Will buy myself a copy ASAP.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2021-09-06
06:55:17

Really like the cassette cover!

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-09-06
08:03:37

Cool, plenty of faith here just not the George Michael type. grin

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-09-06
09:54:16

@Doug: Yeah I am also looking on that new Lamborghini. Not sure about the color, yet.. Let's see when Kenz finally prepared the game.. Btw.. I think if it's some sort of lockdown here, driving in a 5km radius should be ok. All t3h best..

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-15
07:38:53

Luca, having a nose on Lemon64 I see you posted the commercial version of The Pit is still coming home! :)

It wasn't easy to break the ice with the sad loss of Doug but knowing there is still hope for its release that's cool. Did Doug give you a copy of the commercial release? I never asked as I always suspected something was up with Doug and did not want to put any pressure on him from asking... If you do have a digital copy of the commercial release that is great! I'm not asking for a digital copy for my self, I just want to know someone out there has a copy for safe keeping.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-11-15
11:32:33

@MIK: luckily Kenz got the final version for the commercial edition, and probably he'd simply chosen to await due an understandable sense of respect. The game is TBA on the Psytronik site since one year now, so I guess it would be the next Plus/4 release after the dispatching of the very first batch of Lykia - The Lost Island will be completed.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-15
15:41:33

Nice one, glad someone has it! Cheers Luca.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024