Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-24
 Golden Baton Bug Found?

Golden Baton was the first in the "Mysterious Adventures" series. I believe the original C16 (text only) version of this game contains a bug, which makes the game impossible to complete! Crown's converted version doesn't have this bug.

The bug is simply this: you cannot pick up the salt.

Try the following steps after you run the game: N, W, N, GO CABIN, EXAMINE BARREL (you find some salt), GET SALT

The original C16 version will always answer with "You can't do that just now!". Crown's version (and probably the C64 version too) just says "OK" and you have the salt.

I think inside the game there is a flag which is set once the player examines the barrel. If you go into the cabin, and try to get the salt without examining the barrel, the game will correctly reply "You can't do that just now!". However, it seems that in the C16 version, this flag is never set, not even after finding the salt... I'm saying this without looking at the code though.

Lando (or anyone else who has an original copy of this game): please verify on a real machine that this is in fact a bug, and not a problem of the crack.

If it is in fact a bug, that's strange and sad. How could they have released the game without trying to win it at least once? It reminds me of an email conversation I had with a C64 fellow. We were discussing how it's so common to have trainer menus at the beginning of C64 games. He said that was good, because the crackers added the trainers and fixed the bugs. To which I replied that I could not believe there were that many (major) bugs. I only found that one so far in Oblido. And now this? Wow.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-04-24

Yeah I've got an original kicking about here some where. I'm not sure if it will load or not, need to have a look and if so I'll work on making a TAP. If I get a mo I'll have a scan tomorrow.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-04-24

How is this Sars virus effecting you home town? I see Toronto on the news today

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-24
 Re: SARS, etc.

Yeah, a TAP would be good. If you do confirm that this is a bug, then I'll get busy and find a fix (otherwise we'll just make new cracks from the TAP version).

The SARS stuff is very sad. So far 15 people died, and they have about 200 suspected cases. It's contained, however, there is nothing to be afraid of. In fact over here everyone is pretty upset about what goes on around in the news all over the world - they are blowing it out of proportion. Everyone is cancelling stuff that concerns Canada, and they really shouldn't. I guess it's the unknown factor.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-04-25

Csabo. I've just loaded up the orginal on my trusty C16 and have the same.

"I can't do that just now!"

I tryed "take salt", same again. I tryed "eat salt" and it said "How revolting!" happy

I don't have a clue and honestly can't say if its a bug or not. Maybe there is something missing... A bag for the salt? I haven't played this title.

I'll make a TAP anyway just so you have the original code to play with. I'll get onto that ASAP, like now.. happy

Fingers crossed.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-25
 Re: BUG

It's a bug then. You're supposed to be able to take it without anything else, that's why I choose those few steps. It's so easy to get there and it's right at the beginning. Crown's version works fine.

Do the TAP file though, that'll be nice to have, and I'll see if I can fix this bug...

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-04-25

Intrested in finding out the truth I found the soluiton (atari) http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/solutions/baton.step

Yeah your right. Unreal they never tested it. I wonder if they had some computer doing all the basic code corrections between different machines and this is where the mistake has come from?

ok TAP coming wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-04-25

Here she is the_golden_baton.zip.

It has the blue screen of death, althought the first part (type RUN) of the load is only acouple of bytes and doesnt take to long.

Talking of bugged games Pin Point is one such game. Level 8 is the end of the game I sent Norbert a trained version so he could pick any level which made it easyer seeing as this game does'nt play as slick as it does on a real Plus/4 and would of been very hard to re-master all those levels wink I cryed at the time thinking maybe it did'nt load correct, so tryed side 2 and that was bugged aswell

Molecule Man has no joystick support even though the instructions state it does wink

On the C64 I only recall The Last Ninja 3 to have a bug. The second to last level. Most the time the trainers are for cheats, but some times they add cool features like High Score Savers eg.(Ikari Warriors C64) =)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-25
 Re: TAP

Good job on the TAP. And yes, it does in fact has this bug. Funny thing is, you can even pick up the barrel, and THEN examine it. The salt will still appear on the floor instead of in your inventory (even though you are holding the barrel). So there is no way to get the salt - which means you can't salt the slugs - which means you can't feed the crab - which means you can't go out to the lake to get the Baton.

I have the solution too (shorter than theirs), but it's saved under Crown's version for now.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-25
 Halfway there!

The byte that keeps track of the whereabouts of the salt is $045B. $FF means the player has the item, any other number represents the room number where the object is in.

So during the game typing >045B FF from YAPE monitor will magically pick up the salt, and the game can be finished. This is not a real solution, as it would only work with an emulator, but I'm getting there...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-04-25
 Good job guys

It's amazing how careless these companies were.... Releasing something without testing. No wonder very few people bought these titles (hence they are rare). Another factor is the price I guess. These adventures seem ridiculously expensive to me when you could buy a decent Mastertronic game for ~2 pounds these adventures cost like 8-9 pounds?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-08
 Re: Golden Baton Bug Found?

I've been working on this, but still haven't been able to fix it (or even fully understand why it happens). I'm closer to it though. However, I found this cool link where you can play Golden Baton online! And of course this version also lets you pick up the salt, no problem. Remember the steps are: N, W, N, GO CABI, EXAM BARR, GET SALT.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-09
 Re: Golden Baton Bug Found?

I am sorry to say but I also left a bug in TÉRVIHAR (parastorm hungarian version) but It is finishable, only a bit easier to finish than intended... But the English version is repaired...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024