Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-31
10:59:59
 Zombie Calavera Prologue released

Hi everyone,

I have ported the speccy game : Zombie Calavera Prologue to the Plus/4. The port is done but now I need some tunes and sound effects.

demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qqdr6oO-k

Is there a musician out there who would want to help ?

I need:

tunes:

-title
-ingame
-victory
-game over

sound effects:

-player shoots
-player's bullet hits enemy
-player's bullet kills enemy (small explosion)
-player picks up crucifix
-player picks up life potion
-player collides with enemy
-player hits ground (after falling)

I first converted it to the C64, I can provide the GoatTracker tunes and sfx made by Uctumi.

Many thanks.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-27
05:09:29
 Re: Zombie Calavera Prologue WIP

Exactly as I've just written before, and answered directly to the involved persons: I really would do that so much, but I can't
You can run an attempt of rough conversion by playing a bit with MConv V1.6 directly on the original C64 SID file to figure out what's the output you gain, and then decide to inoculate the converter in the source code eventually...

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-10-27
09:35:01

Wow, that game I saw some years ago on Youtube as "best modern games for Spectrum" and I was totally immersed by this game's style and gameplay.
I've never believed it will appear on Plus/4 too. Really, really good news happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-27
17:04:20

Wow, very nice game, well done!
I appreciate that you want native TED sounds, but I hope that we will have the SID version too. You already have the SID from c64 anyway.

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-28
04:59:17

Thanks guys ! happy

@Luca : sad to hear about your coming difficulties, hoping that everything will be solved in a not too long time.
the MConv V1.6 routine outputs pretty good sound ! I think it is approved for my CPlus4 projects first ported to the C64 !

@bubis : I don't have a SIDCard (looking for one...) but I just have to play the C64 music normally (writing to $D4xx) to make use of it ?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-10-28
06:06:02

For information on programming the SID cards please refer to BSZ's user manual compiled for his extension at the following link:http://bsz.amigaspirit.hu/nae/NST_SIDcard-20140607-En.pdf. It covers the relevant topics for both NAE and Solder's cards, and those two are them most widespread such products.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-28
09:18:52

As for SID on Plus/4, in most of the cases the base address is $fd40 and that's all.

You can find SID card detection code that is part of Bitfire+4 here:

https://github.com/dotscha/bitfire/blob/master/bitfire/detect.asm

You will also need

https://github.com/dotscha/bitfire/blob/master/bitfire/config.inc

for the defines.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2018-10-28
09:34:26

/BSZ will run a 3rd batch of his sid cards if enough orders collected (10+)/

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-28
10:14:19

Majikeyric: thank you, only time will tell. I'm quite happy it works for you, of course you have to waste those additional $0400 bytes and the SID addresses area, but playing with the multiplexor in MConv 1.6 often takes to very good results.

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-29
10:22:59

I guess I am on BSZ's list for a sidcard...

Thanks for the info, I gave a try to the SID card detection code in YAPE, it detects a card but no SID... :/
in Vice, it detects nothing grin

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-10-29
11:01:19

VICE currently is only a little bit more than a steaming pile of that in terms of accurate emulation. If I were for you I'd give it a try in plus4emu too. When I'm playing around with programming, I check my code both in YAPE and plus4emu.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-29
11:14:24

Majikeyric: Forger Vice, not even badlines are emulated correctly. For more accurate emulation I would go for Plus4Emu.

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-29
11:44:01

Thanks, yes with Plus4emu, it works! => Sidcard + 6581 detected!

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-10-29
14:55:29

I have one SID card+SID chip, very rarely used. I just bought an SD card device, first time able to really test it since years.
If Zombie will use it, it will definitely change to a must to have device happy

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-29
15:28:31

It already uses it wink

waiting for feedback from Luca for real hardware testing happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-29
17:18:35

So, is it using MConv if SID is not present then?

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-30
01:51:57

absolutely!

Luca reported that SIDCard support on real hardware is ok!

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-30
05:17:05

Please credit BSZ for the SID detection code.

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-10-31
11:01:08

Happy Halloween everyone, the game is released!

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=78690

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-10-31
15:56:08
 Re: Zombie Calavera Prologue released

wow very cool timing. happy And the game is very enjoyable. I had a slight taste of resemblance with Magician's Curse and it's sweet!!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-11-01
09:13:00

I'm so glad to see a new Plus/4 game released happy

I've been playing with it for a while, and I really wanted to "get into it", but I found that to be hard. So there's a few minor(?) complaints that I have. The style definitely gets a "plus" point for looking the way it does, fits thematically, etc., but I found that it really strains my eyes to be able to see where my player is. Even worse are the screen switches, which sometimes occur very rapidly. The map is... not great. Well, to be more specific, the hallmark of a good game in my opinion is a smooth learning curve. The first few rooms/areas are easy and give the player a chance to learn the basics. Then, more elements are introduced and the difficulty slowly ramps up. Here, all rooms are essentially the same thing and the same difficulty throughout, no new puzzles or elements appear. I couldn't really find a logical flow to the map - seems like if someone can actually make it all the way through without dying, they would be forced to revisit old areas and backtrack quite often. But my biggest complaint by far is the controls; the way the player/enemy collision works seems unpredictable to me, and I really struggled to try and use that to my advantage. With the unlimited energy cheat I could get around a bit more, but it's just hard to navigate in general.

Well, I'm not much of an action gamer though, so perhaps I'm not the perfect target audience happy Regardless of any issues, it looks like a solid release and I'm still glad that you guys took the time to port it to the Plus/4 as well.

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-11-01
12:22:40

This is the 100% exact port of the original ZX Spectrum game from The Mojon Twins, address your critics to them instead of demotivating people to spend lots of time on your beloved machine to create new free games, thanks.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-11-01
12:27:33

Yes, exactly as Majikeyric wrote, is actually a straight conversion happy Anyway, I'm absolutely persuaded it was not Csabo's aim to demotivate you in any way wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-11-01
16:05:46

Upon closer inspection it turns out that the game is absolutely perfect, and sharing any kind of criticism about a Plus/4 game on a Plus/4 forum is completely out of place.

I really should have written something like "I'm happy to see the game" or "glad you guys put your time into this" to make my message clear, but it's too late for that now, what can you do.

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-11-01
20:25:36

This game would have been a blast many years ago.. As written, technically very impressive compared to some of the old masterpieces. It's sad that there is no possibility to give these kind of games to such a big audience like when the 8 bitters actually ruled... I know that one person can put some demotivation to a coder after doing such a big task.. But however Csabo didn't write "the coder should be shot", what actually happened to me (not by Csabo) in a forum many years ago.. Don't let people demotivate you if you stay focused you will make a lot of progress! You know it's not just one people seeing the game. I think Csabo's critique actually was aimed at the spectrum game then happy..

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-11-01
19:47:37

Well, we don't have too much games of this quality on this platform, right? And this is a quality game, a perfect conversion and very enjoyable. I can only praise it.
Every new prod for this platform is a reason to celebrate and this is a really good one!

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-11-02
05:45:50

Very well done! Not tested on real "iron" yet, but runs fluently well on Plus4Emu.
The atmosphere is there, nice fitting music, and the graphics is very stylish.
The gameplay is fluent and very fast paced.

On the other hand I give (together with my daugther) a 9, because the unforgiving gameplay (little too fast for my age), and hate especially the killer bats, appearing when you cleanesed the screen from enemies happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-11-02
06:47:07

After map and unlimited lives, I've just added a no collisions cheat, just to see the ending in a comfortable way for all ages grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-11-02
12:27:09

Thank you!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-11-02
15:20:13

Yeah I hate the darn bats! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-11-05
07:27:44

Oh well guys, if you liked the game, cast a vote here too wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-11-05
13:46:25

Did it! Now comes the highscore. Certainly with unlimited life and no collision cheat, haha! grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-12-27
19:06:43

Zombie Calavera Prologue has just been reviewed on Retro Gamer 189 receiving a juicyful 87%, congrats Majikeyric! wink

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-12-28
03:37:04

Hooo great to hear! Thanks !

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-12-28
06:07:32

Congratulations Majikeyric!