Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-02
21:35:14
 Accents galore: Plus/4 World can...

Accents galore: Plus/4 World can finally handle the Hungarian long "ő" in program names (example). See forum for more details.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-02
21:35:14
 Re: Accents galore: Plus/4 World can...

First off, if anyone was checking the site in the past few hours, sorry for all the weirdness happy Plus/4 World is as amateur as it gets, and stuff like this should not be done "live". Anyway, seems like we're in business; year 2000 - here we come!

The technical details: the page's encoding has changed, along with the Programs table's default character encoding. What does this mean for you, the end user? The first part - hopefully nothing, but it is a big change, so I'm letting everyone know. In case you see something odd, please post it here. The second part: okay, so. Previously, as a compromise, we used the o + tilde (õ) for long ö. This of course is not in the Hungarian alphabet, but the actual character we needed never existed in ASCII. Then Unicode came along, and eventually became widespread. Without making all these changes (to both the site's code and the database), we could technically save long ö into the database, but it was actually saved as an HTML encoded character. (So, instead of being one letter, it was five, therefore; we could NOT use the like operator for searching.)

Apparently now we can happy

I did some tests on temporary tables, and everything looked okay, plus I backed up the Programs table, so I don't think we will run into any problems. If no-one sees anything broken, I will make the same change to all tables (including the forum).

That's it in a nutshell.

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-08-03
13:29:32

Very well done!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2017-08-03
14:22:44

I second that, a long awaited feature! happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-08-03
21:16:50

Awesome!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-04
08:44:24

Yeah, slowly getting there. I converted more tables (and then data).

To expand what I said above about the LIKE operator: so, thanks to the database, searching for "mos" would automatically match "mos", "mós", "mös", and even "mõs" - but not "mős", since that was stored as something like "m######s" (a 5 character sequence representing that letter). This is particularly useful for all of us, as no-one here speaks all the common Plus/4 languages (English, Hungarian, German and Italian), so we don't always know which accent is used in a name.

The reason I brought this up is that currently looking for anything with a simple "á" is broken Searching for "csavargas" produces a hit, but searching for "csavargás" (which is the correct spelling!) does not. It does throw a lot of errors in the back-end ("Illegal mix of collations"), which will be fixed once I convert all the tables, but it's still worrying. Maybe I messed something up in the search code. We'll see. Anyway, please keep your eyes open and test for stuff, let me know if you find anything else broken or behaving odd.

Edit: the issue with á is definitely a problem with the code, not the database. Stay tuned.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-08-04
14:11:03

őőőő... cool. To appreciate this new feature my new demo will be called Hőzöngő Őrzővédő.

Translate this with Google. wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-04
14:29:31

Árvíztűrő Tükörfúrógép

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-08-04
14:35:37

http://numlockholmes.blog.hu/2010/07/15/tavtarto_kep_es_arvizturo_tukorfurogep

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-07
16:38:09

Search is fixed, and so are a lot of other issues (thanks to Lacus for the bug reports). It should be mostly good... Let me know if you see anything odd related to accented chars.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-08-08
04:27:42

Thanks for the great work guys, much appreciated.

Posted By

SVS
on 2017-08-10
08:39:06

A good work!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024