Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-04-15
09:01:25
 Arok 2017

I just saw that the date for this year's Arok party is out: August 11-13.

Which really sucks for me, I'll be in Hungary this July and I was hoping to be able to attend. I emailed the organizers back in December to ask about the date, but they never replied. Oh well.

Anyway, who is going? Any releases planned? I'd love to hear some rumors happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-04-15
11:46:35
 Re: Arok 2017

It's very hard to plan ahead for the summer with my family in the background shouting WE WANT SEA! happy

But it would be cool to attend.

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-04-15
15:59:55

Not sure if I could attend. However, if Degauss is choosing to drive to Arok this year, perhaps I could join. The trip from germany to Arok seems to be rather complicated. And most probably we don't have a release then!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2017-04-15
17:04:57

The middle of August is a lot better for me so perhaps I can attend after such a long last.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-04-16
02:16:13

I am invited this year to Silesia party (ooh it is getting so close, and my release is nowhere...) and I will see if I can manage two parties in one summer.
And my boy wants to go to Krakow (the city of dragons happy ) this year, too. So I will see.

Posted By

siz
on 2017-04-16
08:27:05

I'll attend Arok for sure but no promise for any prod.

Posted By

carrion
on 2017-04-17
07:00:39

@siz
well for me the other way around wink
I'm 90% sure that I'll provide some small production, but even though the August works for me this year I don't plan to go (for now).

BTW:
I don't remember from previous years, but is there separate compo for C+4 gfx or is it mixed with C64 + Atari + ZX?

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-04-17
10:57:15

Probably mixed.

Posted By

siz
on 2017-04-17
12:49:09

It's mixed and always won by Leon. :/

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-06-22
14:56:51

OK guys,

I sent in the last minute my stuff for the GFX compo of Silesia Party. Unfortunately I cannot go there now.

It is a HFLI picture created from an original C64 Cassette cover scan, edited in Paint.net, converted to HFLI by IstvanV's converter, then edited (a lot) in Abcug's Pixelshop tool. Then the P4S picture converted to a runnable HFLI by (again) IstvanV's P4Sconv program.

Pixelshop is more useable than though originally, unfortunately the last release is not available on the internet.

My HFLI is not extraorinary great, kind of oldschool stuff, and will be probably compete with more advanced C64 pictures (better tools to work with, but eh, it is just an excuse, hehe).
I saw no other Plus/4 release yet, but there are still some minutes left happy

I also send the VDC challenge to WILD compo, though I asked, even if they close it out, just show it on the projector for the guys.
Some GFX men may find the Plus/4 platform more interesting after that demonstration.

Not hoping to win, but it was fun to make a new release happy

Update: maybe it will start in wild too, if no other Plus/4 release. And as I sent it 10 minutes before deadline... I am that WILD! :-D

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-06-22
00:48:29

Wow nice! Looking forward to the competitions, then!

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-06-22
18:08:00

August 11-13 seems OK for me for Arok 2017. So most probably I will go his year and loose my laziness.

Not too much time left to do anything useful... Maybe something crazy simple and WILD
But if you are from Zala region or on the way to Ajkarendek, please let me know if you need a pick up.

BTW There are some tough rules, and Police station is just next to them,

Posted By

siz
on 2017-06-23
01:14:20

An important thing about Árok: this year the party place will be at a different location due to a new local regulation at Ajkarendek which prohibits multi day events at the school premise. (definitely made against Árok without telling the organizers their complaints) :/
You can read about it on the official homepage of Árok.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-06-24
12:20:53

That sucks about the old location not being available. I wonder what went wrong - wasn't the school getting some income? Perhaps the attendees left too much of a mess, or damaged something? Who knows.

BTW, the link they put up to the new location (http://www.banki.ajkaiszik.hu/) gives me a 403 :-/ I'm not going, so this doesn't affect me, I was just curious about the new place.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2017-06-24
15:09:49

The Arok page hinted that residents complained about the racket.

Anyway, here are a few photos:
http://arok.intro.hu/2017/

BTW, the winner of the demo compo gets an SD1541 hardware 1541 emulator...!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-11
10:56:17

So... party is starting today. Any news? Rumors? Live streams to watch?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2017-08-11
11:31:26

There's the live stream link in the 'Party Features' section in the page linked by Gaia.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-11
16:36:58

i can provide nearly realtime photos, sent a few already to Luca.. grin

Me and Siz is there grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-11
17:08:36

How is the new place? What I saw on the stream looked much, much smaller than the previous locations. Perhaps it was only a room used for presentations.

How's the mood? Any excitement about Plus/4 prods and such?

Posted By

siz
on 2017-08-12
03:51:06

It's about half the size of the previous one with the space in the center for presentations. There are tables all around the presentation space and one level above. The ground level tables were already occupied when we arrived yesterday evening but most of the tables (about 70%) on the first level are still free.
Edit: according to the organizers about 80-90 people are here and they expect more for today.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-12
10:43:00

Ah, I was right then, it is smaller. Did Csio or MMS show up? Those are the 4 people I see on the visitor list, plus "Epy", but listed under C64, so probably not "our" Epy.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-12
13:50:17

Gaia, TLC, Bsz, MMS, Epy, Larry, Edhellon showed up and of course us Siz and me. Csio didnt come this year.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-12
16:05:38

Thanks, front page updated!

Guys, be sure to take a group photo and also ask Epy and MMS if they'd mind being added to the Faces of the Scene page. Csabo's request happy

And of course waiting for all those new prods to drop...

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-12
17:38:44

No group photo this year sry, but i have a few pictures...

Arok plus4 releases:
----------------------------------
- Petsci pic by MMS (i cannot remember the title sry)
- Dreamtime 2k17 by Larry (Profik label)
- Creative Lameness, demo by Absence (Made entirely at the party)
- Carry me to the clouds, multicolor pic by me, Chronos of Absence

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-12
18:00:03

It's all up on the Plus/4 FTP, get your fresh hot releases happy

Cool demo, big respect for party coding - oh, how I miss that stuff.

The guinea pig is super cute. One of your best so far, Krona! Hope it ranked well.

Looking forward for the other two!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-08-12
18:46:47

I stayed up to catch the releases. grin

Thanks so much for all the cool stuff!!

Posted By

Ati
on 2017-08-13
15:38:27

Wow, Larry & Dale comeback to coding! And Larry used an Sld music on c64, hihi profik.
Guys, big respect for partycoding, and grat for pic to Chronos!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2017-08-13
16:11:59

The fact that this was partycoding ruled big time and should have received some extra bonus votes! happy It was really cool to be there, albeit very briefly, it's a real shame I could not stay longer to see the compo but maybe next year.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-13
16:46:23

Awesome stuff all around, and best of all, I love the increased scene activity.

Anyway, MMS' piccy just went up to the FTP, so be sure to check out Rainbow eye. I personally love this one!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-08-13
16:59:52

MMS, WOW! happy

If they would threaten to kill me, I'd never be able to draw a relatively recognizable anything with petscii. grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-08-13
17:27:23

Yeah, it was the first time I joined the party, and it was a fantastic event!
I was really happy to meet these guys the very first time, I am glad that I could be a part of such a great team.
SO THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT GREAT DAY!

I think all the releases were very good (and I will work next time a little harder too).

Though team photo was not made, it was a real teamwork there!
Let me give some insight happy

While siz and Chronos worked like hell to be ready, they still gave technical and moral support together with Gaia to Larry. Gaia sacrificed his virgin (never opened!!!) Plus/4 to able to install Siz's modified kernal to able to catch the loading failure. Larry and Bsz were running up and down between us and the organisers, try to to tests his demo on different setups.
During the time I successfully drank my beers, and loaded Bsz and Levente with a lot of silly questions. Could buy a pair of C16 joystick adapter. Installed and deinstalled several times the SFD-1001+IEC2IEEE setup, and used up all the free places around us with them.

Larry needed to test his Demo on different machines, as on the Party organizer's Plus/4 and C64 both his demos hanged up. As turned out during the tests, the Krill loader works prefectly on "unmodified" machines, but with modified 1541s, and the modified KERNAL machines hanged it up. Certainly the official party demo machines were heavily modified. (paralell port on 1541, JiffyDOS, etc)
So after the crosstests Larry and the team finally analyzed the issue, and I offered my "virgin" 1541/II to the organizers, to "have a normally working floppy drive for showing the demos" grin. We almost got no mains connector happy
(just kidding, all guys were very supportive and helpful)

I was really happy to contribute this small way to show this fantastic slideshow made by Larry. I can say, the Amiga guys were almost speechless...

I made a really small presentation about the IEC2IEE interface, but I think it was not 100% clear (sorry, was not so prepared), I decided that I will create a small presentation for the Arok team (and we may add here to the HW section), as with the C16 Joy adapter it works perfectly with a Plus/4 too. (as Bsz mentioned, maybe the cassette port would be better to get the 5V power, but both him and Levent though that it will not hurt the TED in this way)

The compo part was fantastic, most of the releases (even most the Wild category ones) were enjoyable or fun.

There were a lot of nice discussions during the day about different hw and sw stuff. I learned a lot, while everyone was very kind and patient with me despite I had some really lame questions.

There were several more Plus/4s visible all around, some were in use, and I think the team's last releases will increase the focus on this machine.

So, it was my view.
I will try to be there next year too. (please don't cry! happy )

Posted By

George
on 2017-08-13
18:00:22

@MMS: At first glance i thought your pic is a standard multicolor picture, and wonderd why you choose a rather simple motiv compared to your demos in the past. Then i realized that is made in Petscii. Great work, MMS! A masterpiece, i love it!

Congrats to all the other master-demomakers as well. Dreamtime was really impressing for the realistic pictures. The beloved Tut-anch-ammoun never looked so good on a plus\4 :)

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-08-13
19:52:10

Hi There,

Too bad I couldn't come this year! It would have been so good to meat you guys.
I watched back the event on youtube after the demo compo. I saw a few pictures of Larry's picture show while searching for the begining of the demo compo but I didn't think that is a plus/4. grin It is absolutely unbelievable! I hope the converter will be released too, no other converter come near to the quality of these pics!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2017-08-13
19:57:49

Great Job, Guys! Its wonderful to browse on your regular sites and see four new +4-releases pop up.

Dreamtime looks fantastic. @Larry: Could you elaborate on your work?

Posted By

siz
on 2017-08-14
06:20:54

It was really fantastic to meet you guys. I'm really sorry that I could not speak to you more as I was busy party-coding. Creative Lameness was started on Friday night so I'm really proud the we could do something from scratch in about ~22 hours including 6 hours sleep and 2 hours - too long - dinner and some 1-2 hours of conversations with different guys.
Next time I will rather go without release to be able to spend more time partying. wink
It was really good to meet you guys.

Posted By

Epy
on 2017-08-14
09:03:03

>I see on the visitor list, plus "Epy", but listed under C64, so probably not "our" Epy
That was me on the list happy. I brought other machines not only Plus4 (C64, DTV, Raspberry PI) and Poision put me in the C64 group.
It was the first time to visit Árok party, I don't know why this was the first, but I'm sure from now I will be there.
>Guys, be sure to take a group photo and also ask Epy and MMS if they'd mind being added to the Faces of the Scene page. Csabo's request
Sorry I didn't check the forum, there was a lot of events. I didn't turn on my PC at all.
I visited siz at his table, he was deep in the coding. That was fantastic work that demo finished in one day.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2017-08-14
06:58:38

I second what Degauss said. Dreamtime 2K17 looks unbelievable good.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-14
10:21:20

The pictures do look lovely! When I looked at it closer, it appeared to be interlaced hires FLI, plus the horizontal position shifted. I asked Larry specifically about what I might be missing; he mentioned that his previous converter only used 2 bitmaps and 4 color maps (so only the bitmaps were interlaced, not the colors), but this one uses 2 bitmaps and 8 colors maps (so both the bitmaps and the colors are interlaced). Each 2 pixel lines is shifted horizontally to the optimal position, so that the color loss is minimal.

This puts it on par with IstvanV's converter, with the following settings: Conversion type: High resolution FLI, bitmap interlace only; vertical resolution 200; X shift optimized - but using twice the color maps. Using "Interlaced high resolution FLI" (which in turn uses 464 vertical resolution o_O) produces better results; but I still can't believe that video mode is even real happy

Anyway, I was really surprised to find that this (interlacing the color maps too) was *not* the default for all previous interlaced FLI pics. I guess that is the step forward here.

So... The big question is: will anyone ever do a real single line FLI? happy I have a suspicion it might be possible with FF1E writing, to trick the TED into reading a full 80 bytes each line, not just 40.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2017-08-14
12:01:57

@csabo:

i would consider a real single-line-fli (80 bytes fetched each rasterline) as beyond possible. anyway i think the holy grail is in using colorbleeding as well as interlace-effects in order to have a bigger palette.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-14
13:30:31

Larry promised to publish his converter soon, so everybody can play with it!

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-08-15
05:36:35

Well, first of all, thank you all for the feedbacks! I am really glad that so many ppl liked my humble PETSCII.

Second thought: comparing Siz's Philips monitor and the party projector picture was a real shocking experience for me. Siz's monitor was so sharp compared to the Plus4emu's Quality 2 and Quality 3 setting, that I know that I should switch off all the CRT simulation on my emulators...But still, my LCD TV looks like Q2 or Q3, but it is hardly reproduceable on a C= monitor.
Off: The best dithering/color washing effect if I remove my glasses. Almost 10 dioprites happy but then no details at all, too.

Chronos pic during presentation:

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-08-15
09:30:19

Huh, is it just the photo, or did it look like this? The orange hues are completely washed out on this one, doesn't do it justice.

Posted By

siz
on 2017-08-15
12:19:10

It was much better in life.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2017-08-15
16:34:53

- My Árok Party Pictures

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-08-16
02:41:07

Good shots, thx! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-08-16
13:50:49

The new bitmap graphics format created by Larry truly is something! Sidenote: if you watch his show on a standard Commodore monitor, you can actually hear the hi-frequency noise thru the speaker while mixing with the Csabo's TED tune. I mean, it's quite LOUD grin
Note aside again: this is the very first release with no group by this author, which released the C64 version under the Profik label instead...

EDIT: ...and on Facebook, TCFS writes his congrats too ;)

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-08-19
08:54:36

Sidenote:
kind of funny, but it turned out on Arok, that Grass and me are from the same Hungarian town, we have never met before, and I was not aware he lives here too.
So the ratio of Nagykanizsa town's Arok releases was really huge compared to it's population (only 55K) grin

Posted By

carrion
on 2017-08-21
14:51:53

hat a great gfx show guys.
I came back from vacation and saw this masterpiece.
Great Job!
I always pushes me to try these new formats. Hence my question: Is there editor? Converter? any tool to try to do my tests with this gfx format?

@Luca
I've heard these buzzz noices and thought my monitor is getting old and broken of not used for more than month... But I see it's not only me wink

Again
Trully amazing stuff. How can I try it?
There's going to be a demo party that allows C+4 in Poland in October (RKLE).
I'm going to show some of my Amiga work but I thought If I can try to use this format for some pixel art.

[edit]
Oh one more thing
I run this gfx demo side by side on C+4 and C64. Too bad the pictures are not all the same. But these that are the same look better (no doubt) on C+4.
Amazing Job!.

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-08-22
04:06:17

Carrion: I've heard promises regarding a release of Larry's converter.

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-08-22
09:16:51

I was a huge fan of some Profik (C64) demos in the past. Awesome to see them on Plus/4 now, too! The images are astonishing and you could even doubt that they are displayed by an 8bit computer. Great work!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024