Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-09-26
16:32:40
 Newly registered member Sanya has...

Newly registered member Sanya has sent us a long-sought-after TAP file for Bölcsek Köve. Check it out!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-09-29
16:32:40
 Re: Newly registered member Sanya has...

Wow, finally! Made me recall dumping an incomlete TAP of Csavargás a gombák birodalmában exactly 15 years ago from a borrowed tape only to realize later that I failed to wait till the end while recording. Argh...

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-09-30
02:55:22

Ahah! grin

Let's take the bouncy opportunity (in September, mushrooms hunting's main season!) to loudly ask for a great English translation of that unique game I love so much though can't play it. The mushrooms' archive seems to be quite large! Probably Brazil has no source code left for it, but I offer what I could eventually do (by decompiling the code, for example) in cooperation with a mother language translator, in order to release a fantastic trained version with cheats and English translation!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2016-09-30
04:22:53

I'm all in for lucas request. I remember playing that game as a kid, beeing impressed by the graphics - although i didn't understand what was this about. (In fact i didn't get it the mushrooms were the main character in the game. i wandered around those woods expecting some monster to show up for a fight)

Posted By

Mad
on 2016-09-30
05:47:57

Indeed, that's some awesome graphics!! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-09-30
10:56:57

The best was the birdy sound, haha! happy

I am ready to help in that translation matter, though I have to admit, we have at home a "mushroom book for kids", and there are some crazy hungarian mushroom names inside, and I am pretty sure they are completely different in English.

Latin names are in, but probably will not help to much to able to complete the game without majr poison efffects... So it will need some Wikipedia search, and in English (American English) there are some alternative names for the same mushrooms, so we may need a validation from a native English speaker after the first draft translation done. It would be crazy to release a game with Chinese--> English Direction For Use translation quality we can sometimes see....

(BTW one example, how complicated this translation COULD be:
one of the most tasty Hungarian mushrooms, the Izletes varganya (Boletus edulis, English: penny bun, cep, porcino ) can be mixed with the Satantinoru (Boletus satanas, English: devil's bolete) and with the Farkastinoru (Boletus calopus, English: bitter beech bolete or scarlet-stemmed bolete).

Checking the pictures I think only idiots/retarded persons can mix with them with each other, but hey, the books stating this happy

Posted By

Brazil
on 2016-09-30
12:24:15

Sorry guys, all of my old 8 bit sources and disks lost
It would be nice to translate Csavargás, but it would be very difiicult work. Just some things that comes to mind:
1. Decompiling and recompiling to working code is the easiest thing, so its ok
2. Need to decompress all text, but ok, the decompressor in the code somewhere
3. As i remember, the original hungarian text is so big (near 40-50kb?), the translated text can't be larger
4. And the hardest thing: need a text compressor utility to make text to fit in memory. Perhaps its possible if anyone undestand the text decompressor routine. As i remember, the text compression is one of the hardest part of coding Csavargás (tokenized words, variable bit width characters if i remember good)
5. And its takes so much time, maybe easier to recode this game happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-09-30
14:54:15

Oooh, compressed text, now I see why there's almost no plain text in memory Wow that looks quite a difficult task now. Does it decompress single words to compose long sentences by tables? Something like: first byte=length of compressed word, the rest=compressed word? Or does it decompress the whole sentences?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-09-30
16:37:27

I wrote a detokenizer for it a while back (just looked it up: in November 2012). From my code (Delphi) it looks like it just stored the characters on 6 bits, so 4 chars on 3 bytes.

It was part of the effort to create a complete solution, with a full list of all mushrooms and their images (so they can be easily identified from a table). One of those projects that just fell off them map after a while happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-09-30
21:03:46

Wow, you've got to be so advanced on it, that would truly be a project worth to be completed! It would have been a real world's premiere, with cheats and English translation and all the rest, compared to that my world's first about Rockstar Manager looks like a child's play.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-01
20:02:14

Actually on-topic (to the original news): the cover and cassette photo are up for Bölcsek Köve, and Sanya sent in 6 previously missing BASIC programs.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024