Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-02-23
15:30:57
 YAPE in a browser!

Yep, finally here for real! After a few days of struggle with Emscripten, the latest branch of yapeSDL has been successfully compiled to Javascript which means that from now on we can all play our favourite games in a browser (Chrome is by far the preferred one). Speed is pretty good, I am getting 160 fps in warp mode. Sound and joysticks work as well. Check it out here - a few games are also included:
http://gaia.atilia.eu/download/wip/YapeSDL.html

There are still a ton of issues to be sorted out though, so submit your bugfixes and be patient wink

Posted By

Mad
on 2016-02-23
18:38:13
 Re: YAPE in a browser!

Wow!! That's cool.. Just trying it out now!! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-02-23
18:47:17

Fantastic happy

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-24
08:41:23

I agree with Csabo - It is fantastic! happy I only missed sound and had problem with F3 (DIRECTORY).
I tested it with
1) my desktop - it gives up to 130 fps happy
2) my based on Atom 1.9 MHz tv computer - it is only 18 fps
3) my 64-bit Android - it is up to 29 fps and I couldn't find a way to use it without keyboard.
BTW Please add my favorite Cuthbert in the cooler and Xargon's war to the disk.
EDIT: I was wrong the sound is ok. Alt-E may increase speed up to 20% but locks the keyboard. IMHO the frame skipping will be useful in some cases. This is C64 too! :)

Posted By

SVS
on 2016-02-24
04:36:04

Great work Gaia!

Report from my system (Chrome - XP):
a) FPS 48 at warp and window 1
b) FPS 32 standard and window 1
c) DIR listing sometimes enters in neverended cycle (like the command is hit again and again);
c) Joysticks seems not respond to CRSR-DOWN
b) I suggest: Show emulator speed; reset option by F11.

Many thanks.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-02-24
14:29:36

W8 with FF 44.0.2 on Intel i7-4500U (HD4400). Smooth video, emulator works almost OK, but sound is raspy. Would be better to have forced reset, too.

Edit: Reread the opening post. Should we really submit bug fixes, or it is enough to report the issues? :)

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-02-24
15:43:05

Fantastic! and seems even C64 will be implemented? wow.

Report from my system (Win10 64bit - Opera happy , iE4400):
a) FPS 55 at warp and window 2
b) FPS 52 standard and window 2
c) I tested Tutti Frutti, and only the music is strange, the sound effects are OK. maybe some timer issue the musics refer to?
d) testing happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-02-24
17:35:58

Huh, thanks for all the enthusiasm and feedback! hereby I try to address them:
- first off this is a minimally modified version of YapeSDL which is available at Codeplex with source code; the Emscripten related changes are not committed yet though but are not numerous.
- speed is very dependent on whether or not WebGL can be used; so far only Chrome managed to have that
- sound is indeed occasionally choppy I agree; on my PC it is usually very much OK, occasionally seems to lose sync somehow (could be an SDL/Emscripten issue since the desktop build does not have this)
- most function keys should be avoided altogether (except F2 for example) because they seem to mess up the SDL mess-age ( happy ) queue somehow; some Alt + key combos fail, too
- currently paused emulation can not be resumed (not an issue in the desktop build, so must be Emscripten)
- my AMD E-350 netbook scores 60 fps which is pretty good, too; note that the FPS is actually _the_ speed; the real frame rate is capped at 100 fps
- I shall add frameskip at one point, thanks for the tip
- I tweaked a little the joystick setup; changed from regular reset to forced reset
- Games: currently only +4 games are included (Xargon Wars was there; just added Cuthbert in the cooler); most C64 games do work as well (even Mayhem in Monsterland) but I have yet to figure out how to separate the two sets of games - perhaps C64 games names shall start with a capital letter since Emscripten is case sensitive just like POSIX (it implements POSIX actually). Also this version of Yape does not yet have the serial IEC protocol emulation which could allow LOAD-ing PRG's from the virtual filesystem with BASIC commands (YAPE is not using ROM traps).

Please report any ideas you have! happy And please download the desktop YapeSDL build to see the "original". It has pre-built binaries for Linux 64 bit and Windows.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2016-04-03
21:10:15

Nice work, Gaia!

Although I already did all of this last year!

Gaia, the download is huge, I'm not sure for what reason - maybe some compiler settings can be tweaked?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-04-04
09:14:30

Hi MikeDX,

We all really appreciate your version, it was the first step! You showed what was possible and it start us off on the right path happy

Yeah, the current download is pretty big, and although I know very little of the technical stuff, I do know of two reasons for it:
1) This is based on a different - newer, better - source as yours, since it even has C64 emulation.
2) It has built in ZIP support, the first version I got to play with didn't have it, but I insisted and Gaia eventually added it. This means we can run ZIPped D64 files, which is truly fantastic! But the ZIP library unfortunately does add a lot (little over 1 MB).

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-04-04
14:36:47

Hey Mike, hope you're well! I'd reiterate Csabo: often the very first step is the most difficult one and you paved the way for us wink I have outright dismissed the likelihood of a JS / browser based version until I learned about the wonderful world of Emscripten from you happy

On top of what Csabo has just said, this version also has SDL v2 statically linked and is quite a "bit" heavier than v1. I think a few megabytes do not make much of a difference, they are cached nicely anyway. I am more puzzled by the sound issues, but perhaps it can be explained by the fact that SDL2 still has not reached canonical yet.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2016-04-04
15:49:35

I'm fairly sure we can get that size down, and the sdl2 stuff shouldnt add that much overhead. The yape.data file and yape.js.mem files are the large offenders, rather than the single .js file which should be the "big" problem.

I've also come on leaps and bounds with emscripten since those early ports. Maybe we can work together to make a definitive awesome version.

The sound issues may be because emscripten doesn't properly support mixer callbacks..

however, as I always say, the quest continues! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024