Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

StevenC​roucher
on 2015-06-11
05:56:42
 Best applications to show off a Plus/4

Good morning all,

I shall be demonstrating a Plus/4 at our Amiga usergroup this Sunday as quite a few people there have never seen one. As I know very little about this machine, could somebody suggest ten demos which really show off the machine and ten games to play. Games which were released on the C64 might give a nice comparison.

I don't have a 1551, but do have a 1541 and shall be putting all PRG files on 1581 disks, assuming a 1581 will work on a +4.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-06-11
06:06:22
 Re: Best applications to show off a Plus/4

Hi Steve.
A 1581 will work flawlessly with a Plus/4.
You would collect tons of 'personal best' opinions from several users, but the cleanest way to choose your prefer ones lies in the Top List page link in the menu above wink Happy sorting!

Posted By

StevenC​roucher
on 2015-06-11
06:17:59

Didn't see that! Thanks Luca!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-11
06:54:24

I'll offer up a couple of games so to leave space for anyone else that wants to add some...

A nice game to show off without having to play it is ACE +4, put it in to DEMO mode and the game will speak for it's self. grin

There is always Kikstart, something that was ported not so long ago to C64, a game C64 gamers have become fond of any way. The C16/Plus4 version being the original of course...

Just for arcade style fun there is Arthur Noid which is an Arkanoid clone, people can't refuse some bat'n ball action as it's simple enough to play. If your not keen on the in-game music then press the SHIFT/LOCK key to the down position when playing. Top quality ball mechanics for 12k.

Adventures In Time, presentation, music and graphics are all top notch and as something to show off as being made in more recent times then this is a good example of what can be done overall.

Posted By

George
on 2015-06-11
13:46:31

Hi Steven,
maybe you are interested in some of my graphic conversions to show at your meeting at my plus/4 blog for stunning some of the Amiga fans:
http://www.patsos.de/blog/.

Greetings
George

Posted By

Hans
on 2015-06-12
02:51:55

Steven,

By taking your subject "Best applications...." literally, I can recommend SVS-Calc, a state-of-the-art spreadsheet, and of course Script/Plus, the sophisticated word processor.

It is also worth to point out that the Plus/4 was equipped with a kind of office suite named 3-plus-1 which was available on an instant from an internal ROM bank, just by pressing the F1 key. The quality of this "suite" was, however, rather poor. Many users have thrown out the 3-plus-1 ROMs (which were socketed, no desolderuing/soldering necessary) and replaced them by more usable stuff which was stored in eproms.

Games & demos you'll find by the megaton here on Plus4world and elsewhere.

But you may know that the Commodore Plus/4 had not been deveolped as a gaming machine but, as described above, for office use. Its lack of sprites and the limited sound capabilities (unless enhanced by 3rd party developments & additional hardware) make the Plus/4 looking poor compared to a C64.

The Plus/4 graphics capabilities are, however, even ahead of the C64. Plus/4 = 121 colours (theoretically), and C64 = 16 colours.

Posted By

carrion
on 2015-06-12
03:03:05

Hi
I think you could show graphics capabilities of C+4 which are much better than C64 and in many cases simillar or better than Amiga OCS.
take a look at my profile and my productions here at ths portal
http://plus4world.powweb.com/members/carrion
but you should also check out the "Top List" section and go to Top 50 Graphics.
http://plus4world.powweb.com/toplist

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-14
20:58:03

Going back to the 121 colours, a good example of extra colours on screen at the same time in a game can be seen with Quadrillion.

EDIT:

How did it go today when you showed the Plus/4 off? :)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024