Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-02-14
06:20:02
 Mr Angry Dude

The multiplatform game coder Misfit is keeping on posting on his Twitter page some screenshots of what at the moment it seems to be an ongoing project about some cute platform game.
Let's see what will happen in the near future, meanwhile you could have noticed there's a donation icon on his site if you want to...

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-15
08:34:38
 Re: [Preview] Mr. Angry Dude

Looks really neat. Love that monochrome graphic style. You can if done good get a lot more detail on screen over all, like a High Definition mode. wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-07
05:15:01

Oh, anyway this video describes the game as it was one month ago, audio stuff has been added just these days, to say one...

View on YouTube

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-04-07
12:54:54

Looks promising!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-07
13:11:48

Nifty!

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2015-04-07
14:43:11

Looks like the puzzles could be quite tricky.
I don't think ive seen anything quite with this mechanic before?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-04-07
18:11:09

I was thinking the same thing. It looks unique, I'd have to try some levels to see how it actually plays. But otherwise, as everyone said before me: looks promising, happy to see it happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2015-04-09
13:57:14

The idea for the gameplay rulez a lot!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-04-09
16:37:03

I don't know if the author reads this... But here's a little anecdote anyway.

My 9-year son old has been playing a lot of C16/Plus4 games lately, he even made a list with his favourites. (On YAPE only though... The real irons are hidden away somewhere. I know, what a shame wink) He's been telling his friends as well, it's been the topic of discussion for a while. He's asked one of his classmates if they think "Mr. Angry Dude" is an actual game, the other boy guessed "no", so he was told all about it.

So, my point being... I think the author would be either shocked or pleasantly surprised that his game is being discussed (and anticipated) at a Canadian elementary school happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-14
12:44:13

New levels on the blocks.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-04-14
14:00:01

Looks good and I appreciate the update, though there's not much new to see compared to the previous shots/video (unless I'm missing something). Any word on release date?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-14
14:03:58

@Csabo: no release date yet, but the author writes that these levels have been created with the last hundreds bytes, just after the audio section and a memory cleanup. He also seems to be well disposed about something like the famous Game Compo happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-20
03:31:30

So close to see it being released, and we don't have started any game compo

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-04-20
04:12:40

Well.. this will be my first C16 release ever. I create a new and better release for competition. grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-20
04:17:40

Gentlemen, I've just...where's the capslock when I need it? GENTLEMEN, I'VE JUST SEEN A GAUNTLET LAUNCHED ON BATTLEFIELD! grin
Just to say we're moving in the right way for a real game compo, and to point toward the right thread about this wink

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-04-25
07:46:25

Ok, If somebody is interested in.. Mr. Angry Dude is released.

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGMNzzsCCE
download : http://www.riimukivi.net/

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-25
09:55:05

Fantastic news! Lemme get back to live (I'm an old one, but I came back home at 7am this morning after a night between friends, gigs, pubs) and I'll handle it!

Posted By

Mad
on 2015-04-25
15:34:50
 Re: Mr Angry Dude

I already said it: great game idea! And flawless execution. nice to see a c16 game again.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-25
16:04:34

Really like christmas this month wink

What i especially like is how misfit is making use of charsets + softscrolling. Did anyone look at the VIC-20 shooter. Great stuff aswell!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-25
17:18:04

Very cool and neat little game! Loving the graphic style of it, even the load info screen looks amazing. Man, Misfit you really went to town with this by releasing a .D64, .Tap and a Tape Cover!!! I will look at the tap soon but so want it on real tape now. Wicked stuff Misfit, well done and thanks for sharing!

Would be cool to see Mr Angery Dude in his own Ghosts'N Goblins or Rick Dangerous type clone. happy

Small Angry Easter Egg in the game: You can move Mr Angry Dude on the title screen.

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-04-26
01:02:48

Thanks all,

It's nice to create games for VIC-20 and C16. Both have so supportive communities.

MIK: I tested TAP file only with VICE. I hope that it works without problems.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2015-04-26
03:45:07

I had to resort to the youtube trailer/movie just to finish the first level.
What a fantasticly frustrating game!
I love the music though, and the game looks absolutely stunning.
Im gonna keep at it but the whole mechanic where the platform youre trying to move to, MOVES AWAY FROM YOU is just ... =D
Genius? Insane? I dunno, sometimes those two are very hard to separate.

*edit*

Oh, and it says "joystick port 1" but i had to put it in port 0?

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-04-26
04:18:10

corpsicle : Oh, That port 0 thing. My C16 has Joy1 and Joy2 ports.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-26
07:14:18

Yeah, the music is cute . happy

BTW, I tested the tap in Yape and it works perfect.

corpsicle,

Only a coder would see it as Joy 0.

Have a look at the rear of the case if you have a Plus/4, I bet it says Joy 1 & Joy 2. Even in the English Plus/4 manual they are called Joy 1 and Joy 2: The Game Ports, looking at the computer it's self when setting it up.

Joy1 will print the letter T on screen in BASIC if you press FIRE so you can't go wrong. happy

In the early days Mastertronic game covers sometimes printed Joy 0, but seeing as there is not a Joy 0 looking at the machines case then Joy 1 is the only natural alternative to try. It's always assumed Joy 0 is Joy 1. wink

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2015-04-26
09:45:48

It absolutely definitely says "Joy 0" and "Joy 1" on my Plus4. =)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2015-04-26
11:01:38

Yes, the joystick port marking seems to be really odd. I googled the net for pictures of both machines, and as far as I could see C=16s have JOY 1 and JOY 2 labels but C= Plus/4s have JOY 0 and JOY 1 markings. The situation with C=116s I couldn't cleared up because the single picture I found was not that sharp and well lit in the joystick port area but I would guess that it is the same as the C=16s.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-26
14:45:30

Your making me Mr Angry Dude now, (not) haha! wink

My Plus/4 is made in England as stated on the serial badge on the underside... Maybe this is linked to case design age? Or different regions of where your machine was made such as Germany or USA ect..?

One of my Plus/4's with Joy 1 & Joy 2... I used an extra light to cast a bit of a shadow on the lettering and didn't use the camera flash. First picture I did with camera flash I saw nothing. happy

BTW, check out Formula 1 Simulator game cover for Port 0. If I remember correct from an interview Gaia found some time ago that Shaun Southern, he had a C16. Yeah C16's have Joy 1 and Joy 2 on the side, mine does any way. Interesting all the same. happy

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2015-04-26
14:56:36

I bought my Plus4 from germany. Could be a regional thing then i guess?

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-26
15:32:19

and for my next trick...

Both made in England. At some point a change was made but what came first? :)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-04-26
18:36:42

Serial number? happy I have a C116 that I can check if i find it inside the rubble in my storage. It might have the markings whichever was earlier I guess...

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-26
19:26:45

Plus/4 with Joy 0 & 1 is an: EA5 228797
Plus/4 with Joy 1 & 2 is an: EA4 224421

I also have a number of Joy 1 & 2 Plus/4's and they range between EA5 2***** & EA4 2*****.

It doesn't really say what came first as it's almost as if they are all from the same batches. Maybe the cases were made in different counties and then sent to the production lines as one job lot? It's a very obvious thing to of changed though, I'm in favour of Joy 1 & 2, the amount of ports I see. Port 1 is always on the left which is also true of C64, Amiga, Megadrive, Atari Jaguar, N64, Psone ect...

The best thing to do is to have two joysticks plugged in, one or the other will work. Sometimes you might get caught out when a game requires you to press space to start, the joystick works a treat until you press FIRE and then you realise you have the wrong one. happy

PS. I didn't know you had a C116.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-27
05:59:32

Ooooh :O I didn't have any idea about this... So, is there some kind of logical or historical sorting for this? Have to check all my Plus/4's today, then!

Getting back from the offtopic stuff: I played Mr Angry Dude for a while, though mostly not being at home this weekend, just to record and fix a first score to ignite the challenge in the Hall Of Fame ;)
It has very strange and original game mechanics, and I think that's the reason why me and several other players are waiting before assigning a vote. I wanna play it more in order to see if there's enough balance between frustration and improving. And finally cast a vote, of course :)
Said that, there's no doubt it's a cool production coded by an experienced coder who afforded his very first work on a 264 series machine! Watching a bit under the rug, I saw he didn't used any real IRQ, he simply divided the code's events by rastertime with $FF1C/$FF1D, an original approach. Of course, the music has just been hacked by me, ready to be released in the forthcoming HVTC update ;) Apropos, I really should update that, mmm... ;)
A note about the TAP file: I've really appreciated the tape version, but even here on Plus/4 World there are so many tape turbos to use in your productions, so why don't pick up one and speedup your tape loader with colourbars? :D

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-04-27
06:51:15

..and it is 90% C-code

It's very difficult to handle balance between unique idea and gameplay. But I would want to create something different and I took a risk.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-27
07:01:16

Yeah I was thinking it would be nice to have Mr Angry Dude saved with a Turbo.

It would be cool if people made Novaload the official Turbo to always use purely because it looks nice, allows loading screens to be displayed, it's not a halfwav making it very reliable when loading on real hardware and was the most used in the commercial days. It was the official Turbo that Commodore would go on to use.

I don't really know anything about it, who made it, how did people use it and passed it on between companies such as Gremlin, Solar Software, Mastertronic, Atlantis ect... There must be some one out there with a story to tell of how this Turbo that may of started at Commodore was spread around. happy

Is Nova Turbo the classic Novaload? I recall Gaia found it with some excitement, but I have long forgot what was said as it could of been 15 years ago. wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-04-28
02:53:38

Here is my addition:

EA4 230201 England - joy1 joy2
EA4 113455 England - joy1 joy2
DA4 06329 W.Germany - joy1 joy2
DA4 121075 W.Germany - joy0 joy1
DA4 130028 W.Germany - joy0 joy1

A képet a Képfeltöltés.hu tárolja.

A képet a Képfeltöltés.hu tárolja.

it seems to be illogical.. maybe commodore used some different molds to press the cases..

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-28
07:52:34

@Chronos: Epic photograph, really wink

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-05-18
14:08:33

My 3rd attempt gives 91 score. It is very unusual game.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024