Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-08
03:40:22
 Games ported to the C64

The latest one: Tutti Frutti happy

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54304

Unfortanately, it is suffering a nasty bug. It crashes a lot. Occasionally the bullet also goes haywire sometimes flying off the screen.

He's also omitted the objective on the second wave of the Mr. Do levels where he has removed the option of dumping the apples to the bottom of the screen as part objective to completing the level.

If I'm right in thinking, to complete these 2nd Mr. Do waves (levels 2, 5, 8, 11 etc) it can be completed by either:

Apples on floor + all cherries
Apples on floor + kill all nasties
All cherries + Kill all nasties

Instead, he has it only as: All cherries + Kill all nasties

Hope it gets a fix soon.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-08
05:47:35
 Re: Games ported to the C64

What was the guy thinking..., porting a C16/Plus4 game to a machine with less colours????
No wonder it's broken haha!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-08
10:25:39

lol, well tbf the music rocks wink

Also, it seems he's well aware of the drab colour limitations. In his final fix asides from getting rid of all the glitches, he intends to fix the background shading, he's also going to tweak the music and sounds. He completely overlooked the apples on the floor objective so he's going to put that right too. The final version I'm expecting to surpass the C16 version, and more besides such as a hi-score saver which is pretty neat. I mean tbh, I expect far more on the C64.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-12-08
16:20:55

From what I saw, it's not bad actually. Also I wonder why he went with porting (which, if I'm understanding correctly means he rewrote it) instead of converting, as the latter probably should have been easier.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-08
16:59:17

I did wonder myself. That just kinda makes it even more impressive. I can't wait until it's finally finished. He should at least credit himself as the programmer seeing as it's a rewrite, and just mention Sout as the original C16 version author happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-09
12:24:02

Tutti Frutti: Somebody to team up to create a "comprehensive" edition with selectable sid/ted music, hints and opening screen? grin

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-09
17:11:04

Sounds like a good plan happy

The guy doing the C64 version has asked me to play test it, of which I've accepted. T'is a game which I know pretty well now nearing its 30th anniversary.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-09
18:24:17

i'm started to draw an opening screen.. We'll see..

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-10
07:00:46

Baz, reading between the lines...

The guy asked you to play test it as he wasn't sure how to play it and why the apples were dropped..., dropped lol. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-10
07:53:46

Of course I knew that, I don't mind. He did say that his girlfriend played the original a lot, but she's only half interested in the scene activity that he can't rely on her, and his group mates (called MYD) who are also testing don't even know the original. I guess I'm a handy person to have on board happy

I'm away for the festivities right now, which means away from my beloved C16 but I have brought along my PC laptop with me that I am able to get a wifi connection with, so emulator will just have to do unless it's still in development when I get back at the end of the year.

A 2015 release for that, and especially Chronos's "comprehensive edition" would be perfect for its 30th anniversary. In fact, I'd call it the 30th Anniversary Edition (or something) happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-10
10:23:55

we may initiate a tutti frutti Gfx compo, just to be on the safe side grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-10
11:13:13

Whatever the outcome it will contain BIG and bold colours, a Super Strawberry and crazy Acid Apples! Something the cover artwork never captured... happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-29
12:36:39

It would be great also if it got a cool .tap release too. We see lots of them on the C64 with new releases, and now the Princess C64SD has arrived, why not I ask? happy
--------------------
Update:
The final beta version of Tutti Frutti 64 is looking rather impressive. I won't spoil any surprises but the release date is 31.12.2014 so check the New Releases area on Lemon64 then wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-31
13:23:41

on 01.01.2015 i'll stole that .sid grin

Sorry for my terrible english guys! anyway, i'll get it and put it into the plusi version :D

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-30
04:17:35

Stole or Stolen is the past. It means you have already taken it. wink

Steal

Steal is the future, you plan to take it. I will steal that .sid grin

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-12-30
08:50:08

Perhaps he meant "by January 1st I will have stolen that .SID"? wink

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2014-12-30
09:12:47

Interesting..

Are there any 'new' graphics for tutti frutti anywhere (or any mp3 remix / modern versions of the music?)

I could DX that game fairly quickly given the right resources...... Could have a modern android version running on the old code.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-30
20:57:08

Yes there will be a graphical surprise, and you should like the new rendition of the original tune, and there will be something else quite cool too that very few has been privileged to see before the Alpha release. I won't say anymore than that. Not long to wait now happy

Posted By

carrion
on 2014-12-31
06:40:33

and here it is
http://csdb.dk/release/?id=135730

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-31
09:37:39

ooooh I got a mention

Anyway, a fantastic port with some very nice surprises. The music is especially sublime. I'm chuffed for the mention and glad I've been a small help in its development happy

Edit: I've just been reading the C64 docs. In the Pengo block pushing style rounds. It's stated that pushing all the apples to the corners complete the level too. Well I've now just tried this in the C16 original, and blow me down so it does. That's something I've never actually noticed before after 30 years of playing  photo redface_zpsa65nlq69.giflol photo lol_zpsc231b7fe.gif

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2014-12-31
10:55:41

it's really really lovely to see this 30 years on from the original release!

Sadly the emulators aren't doing it justice (who wants to play on keys)

Time to dig out my real c64....

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-01
16:42:10

OFF
Just today I noticed, that there was a game on CPC 464 very very similar to Tutti Frutti: Fruity Frank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69ZZnUEjgo at 3:35

It is in the Top10-15 games of CPC, so definitely treated as a really good game.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-02
06:00:11

That's mad considering all the big hits from 1986 and onwards for the CPC that we never got. Our Tutti Frutti is placed at 49 at the moment, then again 49 is not realistic as there are many more games that are better..., and I personally regard it as a good game for our system. It just means many more games are not getting the scores they deserve by some of you. wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-03
01:32:57

ok, I voted too, moved from pos 49 to 45 happy
but looking at our top50 list, 90% is really good game. On the other hand, i think our scores are typically little too high, compared to eg. Lemon64 scores to the same game.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-03
01:53:42

Oh well, just to be the old grump here, hope MMS voted 10 because he thinks the game deserves it, and not because "aiming to go up in the charts" happy Anyway, any voting makes me happy, it's straight feedback, and there are still so many worthy stuff needing votes (this gives me the chance to remind you all there's a votes needed link here just to do that).

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-03
04:27:32

Some of our scores will be higher than the same game on C64 because we had that 16K limit thanks to the C16. Put simply, if something good was ported from C64 then it would be viewed as great on our system because of the amount of crap that was out there. We are more fond of the good ones, where good on C64 is normally a multi loader and with the extra memory to play with there was no stopping what could be done.

When it came to ACE+4, Mercenary and Saboteur and when we didn't have memory limits, then other than sound our versions were just as good. The thing is, while I listed 3 for us, the C64 would go on to have another 300 and counting good games. That makes the ported classics stand out more on our system.

Some of ours classics are also better even with the limitations such as Big Mac, Tom Thumb, Squirm and many more. Some even look better because we had more colours such as Fire Ant. I might be the only one out there but regardless of the awesome sound track on c64 and the flicky scrolling on our system, I prefer to play the original retail version of Thrust on C16/Plus4. Also hats off to the guys who ported Manic Miner and got all 20 levels to fit on a C16, a great achievement and should be remembered in just the same way as it is on C64 & Spectrum... the problem is that too many people think anything lesser is weak so don't know how to appreciate exactly what was done and what's on offer.

Also don't forget some people will go out of there way to mark stuff down because they many not like or view something too hard, that's not always the games fault but the user. ;-)

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-03
14:52:43

Luca, I really gave a high score (i think was 9)because it is one of the very few games my kids still enjoy a lot and real fun to play, have some success.
My 8y boy started to be interested on laser squad, the spectrum like gfx does not bother him really. Fire ant they also like, but still too hard for a 5 and 8 years old. Trailblazer was real nono.
Battle chess is a great fun for both,while grunting a little on loading times. Still look cuter (more cute?) than the PC version.
Formula1 simulator is ok, though a 32kb version could greatly improve the gfx (more diversified background and more detailed cars with some more movemnt phases).
Unfortunately we have no card trading games, as the plussy could show great pictures, and it needs no big animation and sprites (ok, maybe one cursor). I started to work on one two years ago (based on castle age graphs), but the color limitations (2 free color per character) stopped my efforts, and the Magic the gathering needs a little more complex AI that I could program (but i considered a cheat with fix preprogrammed AI steps happy ). In B&W they looked good and i could not decide to have odd looking but colorful, or a b&w game (my old claim: why the hell the designers did not add 7 more shades of dark greys to black, with 16 grays we could do miracles).

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-02-06
19:47:54

Just to let everybody know, Tutti Frutti 64 is going to be the next Competition game for February on the Lemon64 Game Competitions forum. It likely begins this coming Monday. So for all those interested, download it now and get some practice in. Let's show them how it's played wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-07
05:20:47

Just to let everybody know, RĂ¼diger has the highest score for the actual REAL version of Tutti Frutti released for C16/Plus4 here at Plus4 World. So..., for all those interested in playing the game should download it now and get some practice in. Show him how it's played Baz. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-02-07
15:50:11

I'll get back to that, as that is always gonna be there to beat. This competition though only lasts a month raspberry

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-08
07:09:47

You go play the fake like a proper little traitor. Enjoy!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-02-08
09:03:20

Only coz you know I'll beat you

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024