Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-11-27
10:16:48
 New Demo

Guys... I'm watching it right now happy (well, paused halfway through)

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you all for this wonderful demo and all the kind words happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-11-27
10:28:32
 Re: New Demo

Wooooh! Lemme write the news before, you started your engine on fire, troop! grin
Happy birthday Csaba!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-11-27
10:38:50

This is such an honor and a wonderful birthday gift.

Here's me "receiving" it happy

Posted By

Patrick
on 2014-11-27
10:44:00

well, you deserve it!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-11-27
11:06:30

Oh wow again. I just finished reading it all. The above pic was before I started crying happy But happy tears. Guys, this is amazing, thank you so much. What an experience. I loved reading all the messages from everyone. So many cool dudes, so many memories, so many projects we worked on happy

I can't thank you guys enough. Luca especially, you sly dog, how did you pull this off? Must have been a big effort to organize it happy

Thank you times a million... Plus 4!

Posted By

Ninja
on 2014-11-27
13:01:28

Happy Birthday! happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-11-27
13:08:07

Glad you enjoyed your little birthday surprise Csabo. I'm glad it's made it into an extra special occasion happy

Anyway, I hope that you immediately understood the perfectly inappropriate reference I made. Otherwise I'm in trouble, heh
Continue to have a great day and thanks for all the memories.

Well, that was a rather long scrolltro indeed. Nevermind a cup of tea, I needed a flask for my greetz to finally arrive lol. Surely a record. Anyway, great job Luca. I especially loved the Nirvana track

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-11-27
14:15:09

Nah, you're not in trouble, the reference to Mr. Puniverse (and my recent post) was immediately obvious happy

Posted By

Unreal
on 2014-11-27
14:24:15

Happyt master!happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2014-11-27
15:27:20

Happy Birthday, Csabo! I was thinking about diggin' up the old B-day thread but the guys did so much better. Just awesome!

Hope you are doing fine!

I wish my workload could be cruelcrunched (yeah, I'm so 1993 wink ) and I'd have some free RAM and cpu cycles for the plus/4 scene.

Keep up the fantastic work here, all of you!

I'll be back happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2014-11-27
16:02:39

Happy birthday Csabo, I do hope you enjoyed your day. You bring so much to the scene, thank you.

Posted By

edhellon
on 2014-11-27
16:15:11

Happy birthday Csabo! Luca asked me to add to the scrolltext as well but I've been too lame again. Oh well, maybe next time. Hope you enjoyed your day!

Posted By

Csio
on 2014-11-27
17:03:52

Csabo: Hey, you Heart Of The Scene! We wish you happiness, success and awesomeness (what you still have) in life!

Luca: you made a very good work. Congrat to you too wink what a f@cking long scrolltext.... :O

Posted By

Degauss
on 2014-11-27
17:47:31

Happy Birthday! happy

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2014-11-27
18:38:42

Happy Birthday Csabo, hope you had a great day.

Every day is great coming onto plus4world and seeing the C16/+4 development of the day!

Posted By

Epy
on 2014-11-28
03:58:22

Boldog szülinapot happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-11-28
05:31:10

Yeah, the Master Organizer has come back in town! wink Thanks to all the ppl that joined into the scrolltro, I got massive and fast feedback!

Our little scene sometimes misses several attitudes and habits other bigger ones have, for example the usage of the International Standards I tried to put in and assumed for the trained games. But that's not the case of birthday intros, as ye olde Plus/4 scene has shown they're not unaccustomed to this habit in particular, both for intros made by the honoured himself or by friends of him (HB Mega, 17 Years, Happy Birthday Bionic, To Be Fifteen...). Time comes to refresh this tradition, and in a month there was exactly the birthday of THE man, beg your pardon for the preference, who really deserves to be celebrated grin In the hope that we'll see more of these easy releases in the future, and in this vision The Way It Is by nukem has been a valid example: releasers are always right!

The demo itself: well, nothing recordbreaking, you see, and such an oldschool feeling all around, especially about the screen disposal. And there's no linking touch in the very beginning, only the black screen then run, and no rasters or other colour stuff, very plain. Said that, the devil hides in the tiny details. The 5x5 set comes from C64, it's a famous one I ever liked though the hard limitations (no digits!), as I credited in the text has been drawn by Morpheus/FHI, and ìf you look at those scrolltext chars you can see lighter coloring at the red and blue bottom borders. The scroller itself can run in 7 speeds and stop for x time, but speeds 2 4 and 6 are best fitting because of the multicolour sprites (roughly, odd values for an "8 positions" scrolling would occur in an excessive wobbling for a "4 positions" sprite!).
Coding those sprites has been big fun! Their movement is affected by the variable scrolling speed, and there's a no scrolling area to be taken in count tho. The code I'm most proud of, is that one for the sprite hiding under the scrolling, where I have to calculate on the fly, store and then restore all the AND and XOR it would need.
Bouncing the swinging logo above the scrolling has teached me that there's one single moment, in a couple of cycles, where to trick the first badline in order to put a new value of $FF06 (vertical scroll stuff, for non-coders) and then adjust $FF1F too.
The Csabo logo, courtesy of Unreal, thank you mate! I decided to let the lower part works like water. If you look closer at it, you will see that I did not simply directly use a sin table for those 9-10 one-pixel rows: the highest line moves in the range of 2 only, the lower by 4, the two lower by 6, the six that are left in the whole 8. Hope this little particular pays in terms of prospective happy
Aaah the TED tune! Not bad, and theme bearing, but rough here and there, and shorter and with few variations than I wanted to. I had to finish it in a hurry, unfortunately, at 4 am just before the day wink Hell, I did it in time, anyway grin And I've finally come back to TEDplay after so many years!
Ah! Try watching the demo on a real machine, you will notice a couple of particulars to keep in mind for anyone's next releases:
- because of the famous video frequency mismatching, no way: reading scrolltexts on real iron beats EVERY emulation attempt;
- YAPE plays the audio with a very little delay, frustrating all the time I've spent in synchronize the big C S B O gfx with the music; not a big deal, but just to be warned for future stuff: DO THE SYNC ON REAL IRON!
In the very end, hope you enjoyed the grossy idea about the "A" in CSABO grin

Ah, and happy birthday+1 Csabo!

PS: the whole demotime, from the first black screen to the conditional wrapon, takes something less than 29 minutes! What the heck, do I really did it? :v

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-11-28
06:21:47

Happy Birthday Master! BTW, what is the name of the cat? I have a similar one called János grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-28
06:54:45

Happy Birthday again Csabo, love the photo of the after party with your beloved cat lapping up the remaining crumbs of Birthday cake! happy

Hats off to Luca for pulling this off, very nicely done. wink

Posted By

George
on 2014-11-28
13:09:49

Happy birthday from me too, Csabo.

This girl from a famous game wants to congratulate too. Have fun with her..happy

PRG: Babe.prg

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-11-28
14:42:09

Thanks George, that's actually a pretty good conversion!

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-11-28
16:08:39

Happy birthday again from Italy happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-11-30
12:09:13

Happy birthday from Hungary! (better later than never)

About the demo: I really like it. It is a kind of nice old-school with the blend of some newer effect (plasma, sprites), or the music itself has the taste of the AIT game. A big like happy

Posted By

Fonsis
on 2014-12-01
04:47:38

Happy birthday Csabo. All the best from Germany happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-02
02:37:58

Someone has just uploaded and then linked to the Pouet entry a Youtube video of the intro, which doesn't cover either the whole music and, most of all, has been clearly run on VICE, with hiss and random glitches...brrr!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024