Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-11-24
01:26:40
 Newbie! Get-going questions

Hi!

Im getting a plus 4 soon. Its bought and paid and getting shipped like today from germany. happy
So since i never owned a Plus4 i have a lot of questions.
Im sure i can find a lot of answers on these forums but i have one to begin with.
Can i write Plus4 .d64 images on my c64 using mmc64 and 1541-II ?
As long as i can do that i should be able to run most software i think? Or is there a lot that only come on .tap and has to be run from tape or using tape-emulation?

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-11-24
02:59:50
 Re: Newbie! Get-going questions

Sure! the C64 and Plus4 .d64 is identical. Dont care about .tap files, use .prg-s instead! You can copy in the same way as d64-s..

But you can run from your sd card aswell, there is a "file browser" that can run on a stock plus4 too.. (it depends on your mmc2iec/sd2iec card power draw source)

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-24
07:45:19

Yes, a Vic20, C64/128 & C16/Plus4 all use .prg and .d64 files. A .prg is native to all these Commodore machines, also known as a program file. A .d64 is a collection of .prg's on a floppy disk, or rather a digital copy of a floppy disk. If you save a single Basic made program to tape without the use of any fast/turbo loader then you are saving a .prg to tape, the same as it would be if it was saved to floppy disk/.d64

For the most part C16/Plus4 use single .prg files.

.d64's are used for multi loading programs such as Last Ninja, Turrican, Rick Dangerous 2, games that use more than the machines internal memory to load in full. On C16/Plus4 such games are Winter Events, Summer Events and Adventures In Time that come on .d64, of course many Demo's on all formats do as well.

.tap files are digital copies of actual tapes.

Don't go using Megadrive pads or any joystick with flashy lights and crazy auto fire settings ect... on a C16 or Plus/4 as you will damage the TED chip, the joyports are not shielded like a C64. Keep it simple and basic such as Zip Stik, Competition Pro or Konix style of sticks.

The C16 and Plus/4 use the same software, providing a C16 has enough memory for the bigger programs. They also share the same common chips such as the TED and CPU.

Enjoy your new Plus4!

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-11-24
09:47:44

Thanks a lot!

That was quite a bit of useful information!
Now i just have to wait ... but the DHL tracking page doesn't seem to update no matter how much i refresh it. wink

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-11-26
12:25:23

So ive got Wico sticks, Tac-2's, Slik Stik, some Quickshots and other similar.

I guess these work fine ?

I also have mastersystem pad and 6 button megadrive pad.

I shouldnt try these then ?

In other news, my Plus 4 has arrived in stockholm. Picking it up tomorrow. =)
And then going to demoparty on friday, obviously taking my new Plus4 with me. =D

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-27
05:33:49

When I said simple I mean single fire button sticks you know were designed to work on a Vic20 or C64. So yes Wico, Tac-2 & Slik Stik will be fine. As for Quickshot, some of the early stuff will be fine, kinda pre 1986 but anything with lights on it avoid such as one of these below...

Yes avoid using any of the Sega range of pads and arcade sticks which includes both Master System and Megadrive on a C16/Plus4. I would even avoid using them on a C64, the game Navy Seals on cartridge for C64 will not work properly if a 6 button Megadrive pad is plugged in. People get away with using such pads on a C64, you won't on a C16/Plus4.

I would not even try using anything dedicated for Amstrad computers either such as the console pad for a GX4000, it has 2 buttons any way so no good. Keep well away.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024