Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-13
20:54:49
 Commodore16.com

Hope you don't mind me creating a thread for any new announcements relating to the little brother site, and also for anyone who has any questions relating to it.

As many may know, we have had a lot of headaches on the site over the years. Mostly with spam on the old forum, and malware creeping in on the old blog which forced Chris to switch to a new content management system. We've also had teething problems on the new look site too. The latest one is that people have had trouble not in just logging in, but staying logged in.

It took me a while to figure that one out, but can happily now announce that all known bugs has now been removed, and the site is fully functional again as it should be. It also now loads a bit quicker. It's probably the most stable now than it has been in years.

To all our members. Please clear your cache and cookies before logging in, just to clear any old cached pages prior to the fix, then log in again. You should only need to do this the once and then you should no longer experience anymore problems happy

Cheers everyone.
Baz

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-14
07:55:50
 Re: Commodore16.com

Not the sort of thing any one wishes to be saying... Fingers crossed it settles down. Has been a bit of a pain lately. Even without clearing my history it's loading much faster and log's in in real time right in front of your eyes unlike before. Looking better there.

I'll have a look at clearing the history in Google Chrome once I've done my rounds, passwords ect will be reset I'm sure. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-11-11
06:59:37

Oct 21, 2014
Latest oldie game review: Dirty Den
(with recently added youtube longplay video)

Comments there are more than welcome wink

News Update.
10th Nov, 2014
www.commodore16.com/tap-file-sd2iec-device-for-the-c16plus4
I admit we don't update much. But when we do, it's not too bad wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-11
05:06:09

Sounds like the guy is just waffling and hasn't even tried loading any C16/Plus4 tapes. wink
Maybe it's the lack of software for a C16/Plus4 to run it is what's missing...

If he had he would be telling you a lot already works such as non-turbo and Novaload. He would only hit a brick wall when loading Half Wav's such as Tom Thumb, Thrust, Finders Keepers and as you can imagine a good number more.

If it is loading via the tape port then in theory a C64 could be used as a slave with the 1530 connector split so it also goes straight into a C16 or Plus4. A bit messy but possible maybe...

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-07-15
18:59:31

UPDATE: 11/11/2014

Well at least it is able to load TAP files. There are a few games here which are TAP only although not many. It's nice to have that tap option of the full retro experience particularly with the novaloads. I know it's more exciting on the C64 with all its loading screens/music, but still. Hopefully they will also fix the tape to tap feature soon enough.

I think I will sell my present SD2iec and also my 1541-III to raise funds for my own. It does look very smart happy

UPDATE: 15/07/2015

Just to let you know that our ever rampant spam problem has finally now been fixed, we were getting between 20-30 a day and all the popular anti-spam security modifications didn't work (which makes me wonder why they're still so popular). I've now found a little less popular one, it's been running a couple of days and so far it's killed them all stone dead, well one got through which didn't get by our approval system anyway.
But hopefully, our ongoing constant 10 year migraine is finally now cured bounce

Posted By

Sidney
on 2015-07-16
11:19:25

You guys do fantastic work on the site and it has been a fantastic resource for me ever since I got my C16, all we need now is a few more from here posting there!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-16
13:19:01

There are plenty of people about with C16's and Plus/4's, loads of them in fact. It's just most have one as a side hobby to their C64 collection which can be evident on Lemon64.com forums at times. Check the "Other 8-bit Commodore Computers" board on Lemon64, over the many pages your see plenty of 264 series related stuff. wink

Posted By

Sidney
on 2015-07-17
13:29:48

I have read a lot of very helpful and informative threads on the Lemon 64 forum's other computers section so I know there is a reasonable fan base out there for the 264 series even if as you say the 264 series is seen by many as a side order to their C64 gaming. But even with that said surely a few more would feel compelled to contribute to Commodore16.com, maybe I'm just C16 biased because barely any other machine has had a look in since I got mine!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-18
06:38:03

Early Commodore16.com's anti spam tools actually stopped some people from joining for a number of years which I'm sure has not helped overall back when it might of mattered. Even I had to get Baz to create an account for me and then got him to send me the PW's. Since then though they opened it up to allow more people to join and why the extra spam messages it used to get... You managed to join ok any way. wink

Just maybe 264 stuff is all on a plate now days, easy to use and easy to access than other 8bit machines meaning less people have to ask questions. If you had one before then you know what your doing type thing. Over the last 15 years people have got used to how computers work such as how to download and use apps, emulation ect... Things will slow down as the net gets older of course and people become wiser.

It's cool your getting a lot of enjoyment out of your C16 though. Hats off to you!happy

Posted By

sidney
on 2015-07-18
11:15:21

Fair points Mik - I am getting really into the C16 scene so for me it is new and vibrant and I can't stop banging on about it, I am bordering on the obsessed!! That is partially the fault of yourself and Baz!! (Sorry Guys!) Given that the C16 is newer than the Speccy and C64 albeit a more niche machine I imagined the scene might be like those aforementioned machines only with a fewer members (if that makes sense).

I am fine with emulating (again thanks to you) but that is no substitute for the great old girl, I tend to use emulation as a means to checking out future purchases but the opinions of others on various games are also interesting to me. Hence why I'm always pottering about here and on C16.com. My bugbear is that the likes of RetroGamer rarely mention the C16 but find plenty of time to bang on about the more obvious machines. I feel they should have a bit more about the 264 series as it would surely interest more people in the great pick up and play games these computers have not to mention the fact that they were reasonably popular second tier systems, maybe I am biased though!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024