Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-23
14:40:36
 Temple of Terror!

Temple of Terror ManualLet me tell you a little tale about Plus4 Pete. On a nice sunny day in 1987, fourteen year old Pete met up with his two best friends, ZX Zachary and SixtyFour Sid. Both of them had a brand new computer game called Temple of Terror. Over at Sid's place, as they loaded the game up, Pete exclaimed: "Oh, this is Fighting Fantasy! I love those books!" As he scanned over the instruction manual, his eyes caught this phrase: "When loading TEMPLE OF TERROR for a Commodore 16 or PLUS 4 computer..." Excited, he rushed to the nearby computer shop, and slapped a few wrinkled bills on the counter. Victor Vendor, the shopkeeper sniffled, and said to him: "Lookie here kid. That's probably just a typo, they's left it in 'cause it generic text. All I's knows is, I ain't gots this game and that's that." Disappointed, Pete left the shop and walked home. His wish to play the game on his home computer was forever unfulfilled.

But wait, the story's not over just yet! A mere 27 years later, a middle aged Pete dusts off the ol' Plus/4 and loads the game up. His friends, Zachary and Sid are over for the momentous occasion. "Did you guys ever finish playing it?" Pete asks them. "Nah," replies Zachary, "it was full of bugs, and at the end, there's this door, and when you try to open it, it says something stupid about pirates being eaten by crocodiles. I guess my copy was bugged." "Mine too!" chimes in Sid. But lo and behold, the Plus/4 version works!

With that introduction, I'm proud to present my conversion of Temple of Terror adventure game.

Plus4 Pete... IS YOU!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-08-23
14:40:36
 Re: Temple of Terror!

The definitive version wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-23
14:49:23

Plus/4 rulez, take that, Zachary and Sid wink

Although it's mentioned in the game (on the title screen) and I've done so in personal emails, I'd like to publicly give a big thanks to Baz for his help with testing the game. We discussed a lot of issues together, he noticed quite a few typos or awkwardly phrased sentences. To be able to "talk it out" with someone was great help for me. Cheers! happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-08-23
16:15:04

Definitely the definite version! Congrats Csabo you're a true enthusiast!

Posted By

Chris
on 2014-08-23
16:57:44

Looks brilliant, really looking forward to playing this.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2014-08-23
17:34:16

Yessss! Great work, guys.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-08-23
19:23:40

Thanks Csabo. It was honestly a privilege to help you out, I'd gladly do so again.

Just added the news entry on the Commodore 16 site.

http://www.commodore16.com/temple-of-terror

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-23
20:10:11

Thanks guys! Hey, cool review there... Read it quickly; the commands they are griping about ("EXAMINE MAN'S BODY" or "EXAMINE BODY") don't work here either, I didn't catch that. It's still "EXAMINE MAN". At least it's not needed for the solution. Oh well happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-08-23
20:13:26

Another masterpiece from Grandmaster Csabo and his friends! Look how much love they put in this conversion. All this little details. What a great font, a pleasure for the eyes!

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-08-24
03:36:21

Congrats Csabo grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-08-24
05:53:28

Quite a pretty nice release! Congrats!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-08-24
07:30:59

WOW! happy

Love that decrunching bar and that title screen picture!

So whats the real story on this one? Obviously a version never existed, it was just printed in a mag, (maybe as a mistake).
No offence intended, just wondering from it's looks once loaded..., is this game sat on top of Savage Island +4 ?

Cool release though, big surprise! I want a tape release with Novaload and printed cover! happy

Nice one guys! Good work.

Posted By

George
on 2014-08-24
09:40:48

I agree with MIK.
Every new game should should have a nice old school tape (or Disk) cover and a tape version (with tape stickers). Half of the fun of playing a game is, taking it from the shelf (or the box) with your hands, looking at the Cover-Graphic, reading the manual, and drinking a coffe, while waiting until the game has loaded.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2014-08-24
16:07:42

I'm amazed at the love you put in to the effort of bringing this joy to our community. Thanks so much.

I've always been a great fan of adventure games, actually since an age of 9. grin That's almost 30 years adventure games. There are so many out there that I did not have time for finishing them. Now one more. happy

I bet I would not be able to play through my adventures any more without a solution. grin That's so long time ago. LOL.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-08-25
07:31:25

And now only one misses of the quartet! ;)

Anyway, the manual with the note about how to load the game on C16 and Plus/4 is not a fake one, and this puzzles me more...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-25
09:21:49

Correct, the manual does actually contain the reference to C16/Plus4, but like my little write-up said, this is just a simple mistake. Or rather copy/pasted from another generic manual. There are other, bigger mistakes in it (e.g. "I" command doesn't work, neither does "GET ALL" - which they describe in detail). None of the ads for this game mentioned the C16/Plus4 though.

What quartet do you mean? The Fighting Fantasy series had 7 games, out of which only 6 were ever produced. The last one (Sword of the Samurai) was announced but never developed for any platform.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-08-25
09:24:17

Ah got it now. I've seen a full page advert with 4 games, and guess which one was missing? Yeah, that unreleased one happy

I saw that the C16 Plus/4 loading hints have been written in Rebel Planet too!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-08-26
05:10:49

On the loading screen you see a cool looking monster. Take note of the yellow and brown look the picture has...

and if your wondering what he is looking at.

Posted By

gc841
on 2014-08-26
06:25:04

Excellent release Csabo, well done!

Posted By

RobertB
on 2014-08-29
01:34:35

Really nice! I can show this on the Plus/4 that I'll bring to the Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas on Sept. 13-14. http://www.cgexpo.com

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Posted By

angelsoft
on 2014-08-30
03:45:41

Well done, Csabo!
Champ likes it, too, and has quickly figured out many of the commands.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024