09:26:06
 Wanted 1551 in The Netherlands :-) And pic of my 264 stuf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69919542/mijntrots.jpg

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-04-02
10:03:31
 Re: Wanted 1551 in The Netherlands :-) And pic of my 264 stuf

Looking good happy Congrats for obtaining a C116. The Plus/4 looks to be in mint condition, such white keys...

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-02
10:07:57

happy the plus4 is mint but i like the c116 a lot more

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-04-02
18:20:41

Leuk hoor! wink

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-04-03
12:57:25

C116 is rare. I never have an opportunity even to touch one.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2014-04-03
16:02:52

mooi hoor!

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-04-03
17:03:10

Yeah, one of my friends had one.
Those keys, especially the space!

From collector point of view: nice piece of HW as it is rare.
As a programming machine: it is ridiculous... grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-03
17:54:57

Always nice to see all 3 machines like this. Great collection! happy

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-04
10:43:03

got the c16 in a box when i opened the box the c16 smelled like new happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-04
15:06:18

I know that smell as I have a 1531 like that which has the original smell. It was and is like brand new as I only use it for "playing" tapes when making the odd backup and for a couple of very sort after C64 tapes that in my opinion can only be used on something this new as they are sort of rare, valuable and mean a lot to me... 99.9% of the time this 1531 is kept in it's original bag'n box and this is how the smell has been preserved for so many years as with your C16.
So if you want to preserve the smell of that C16 then you know what to do. Put it back into it's box and only take it out for very special occasions. happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-04
16:11:36

http://youtu.be/3UqnhMBMHbs

here my system

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-04
22:30:33

HOLY MOSES !!! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! happy wink

Is this the HOLY GRAIL of the pus4 world or what !!!

Must say i am mightily impressed & kind of envious of Odo & George !

Have never seen a colour coded setup like Georges. I have two brown mps803 printers for the breadbox cbm, one slightly yellowed but didnt know about black versions. And as you all know the 116model & the 1551 models are quite rare, but not sure about the 1801 black monitor? I got a 1901 yellowed version.

Anyhow Csabo has fixed me up with a frogger avatar (one of my all-time classic faves) & hope you GIANTS of the Plus4 world like it.

Croak Croak happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-05
05:29:51

The Frog is neat. :)

If you ever want a nice alternative then these 14" Sony Trinitron screens are nice. I picked one of these up not so long back and use a Meagdrive on it mostly. RGB is good although you would be limited to composite video for C16/Plus4. The screen also has an easy to access service mode via the remote so you can place the picture where you want, the middle. :)

As you can see it's not black but almost the same as C16 grey/gray. What's cool about it is that it looks like a monitor rather than a TV.

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2014-04-05
05:21:20

@odo: I'm living in germany near netherlands ... if you want a 1551 contact me ... where are you living in NL? You can also wrote in dutch ...

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-06
04:49:52

Thats Cool happy

I threw out several tube tvs for the annual cleanup last year to make some room in the garage/basement area. I still have medium & large Tubes in my living quarters & couple small tvs still around somewhere. I will retrieve them & see if i can colour code them.
My baby plus4 has arrived & apart from sticky keys she is in tip-top shape.
I will take some pics over the next couple days & hopefully be able to post them.

Is there are any safe ways guys for me to possibly consider painting some hardware black?
There are many names including jet black, charcoal etc. Does anyone know the paint number or name of the 16/p4 computers?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-06
07:30:13

The only put off would be talking the case off a TV or Monitor tube as it can give you a nasty shock if you touch the back of it... I believe these hold more power when OFF than the home mains supply so it will hurt if you do touch it.

You would want a matt/matte finish to the colour. Car spray paint is good for that, however the surface of where you want to spray needs to be grease free or the paint may later flake off. I would do some home work about spraying plastic though, there might be some good tips online some where...

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-07
04:33:19

@Retro:
The 1801 Monitor in PAL Version was the hardest piece to find for me. Searched for a year or so. There is a NTSC Version with round buttons, but i wanted this one with the square buttons. Another outstsanding feature of this monitor is the plexi-glass in the front (mine has a scratch). It also has a nice heavy quality.

For its time the setup looks quite modern with its casedesigns and the black color of course. Only a 364 can top this..happy

I also have the c116 and the c16 like odos with its box.

This here is a more compact setup:

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-06
10:55:32

@Rüdiger
Thanks Forgot to say i live in Wijchen Not so far from Nijmegen happy

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2014-04-06
14:05:30

@odo: I'm 120 km away from Nijmegen ... please wrote to cbmwarrior@yahoo.de

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-07
05:46:54

Beautiful Stuff George happy

Your sd2iec device is quite large compared to my mini version from the UK.

And im guessing the 116 is about the size of a plus4; such grey keys.....

Yeah the old tube monitors are just as heavy as there TV counterparts LOL

I have decided not to paint any hardware as I remember painiting a v20 around 25 years ago & it looked nothing like the original colour.

Anyway fellas tried desperately hard to upload a jpg image of my hardware but all I got was a scrolling PLUS bar at top of the screen. Will try again soon and if it doesn't work will just email it to Csabo.

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-07
06:45:17

Thanks Retro. I apreciate your fascination.

The c116 is about 2/3 of the size of the plus/4 (see the pictures of ODO). Very compact machine. Very small setup.
BUT: The chicklet-keyboard is horrible. I mean really horrible. You must push the buttuns 2 or 3 times to get a reaction on screen. But its nice, if you want to try out some software on a real machine, because the box is not much bigger than the machine and you can set quickly setup a running system.

I bought this sde2iec, because of the rainbowcolor-sticker and the black case-color. I matches very good the 264 series. The size was not so important for me.

The C116 is a rare collectors item, in my opinion, which only looks good.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-07
09:56:42

I love those C116'es, so cool. Real shame they were never available in the UK. If you ever need to give one to a good home then you know where to send it, to me. grin

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-07
13:39:07

MIK: i agree with you. everyone should have a c116. I will post some pics later for the fans.
There ist a difference at the power-supply cable: The C116 has a grey line in it. The C16 has a red line. Check it out.
As you see, the box is pretty small.
Now you see, why the 264-series has the small DIN-Connectors (Joystick and Datasette). Everything began with the C116. There was just not enough space.

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-07
15:16:56

@ Rüdiger
I'll email you soon Thanks

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-07
18:14:06

Faboluous to look at happy & would be even better to own ! wink

I am now embarrassed to post any pics as they are nothing like these rare European treasures !!!

A shame about the keys even though they look great in grey/white .You also got the 364?

Im with MIK in saying that if anyone wants to part with a similar setup they can send the world treasure to the world heritage area of the Blue Mountains where it will be preserved for life happy

Maybe there is an ex-patriot owner from a European country living in OZ who sees this forum message & contacts me. Im sure these little beauties were not released in OZ either ;(happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-09
06:32:15

Looks like George had to kill some one for it, blood on the box. wink

Awesome pictures! Must be a little annoying the reset button is around the back having come from a C16 or Plus/4 but it's still perfectly formed. happy

Really is a nice thing to have if you like your 264's, been looking at the pictures for the last 20 minutes and dreaming it was mine haha, thanks for sharing!

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-08
07:05:19

Hi Retro und MIK,

Retro, dont be embarresed. Everybody has a small start. Show what you have.

happy you like the pics. I know the feeling, wanting a beloved machine and watching it only on pics. Therefore i shared the detailed pics especially for you two.

iI am sure on German ebay you will find a c116. The pop up from time to time. The prices are moderate...about 50 EU...with box and about 30 without. Sometimes they sell broken ones.
Ok Shipping to Autralia or England will be the painfull part..happy

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-08
12:27:50

have to fix the 116 keyboard happy never will stop until i get it working

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-09
06:17:24

Oh Shit Yeah ! Now i see the bloodstains where the box reads Grafik & Musikgenerator !

No doubt this is consistent with a blow to the side of a head with a sharp object from a 75degree angle (CSI). Bet the poor bugger (geezer) is now in Plus4Heaven (RIP) & George is ''Living The Dream'' happy LOL

OK seriously now, thanks for your encouragement George & your words of wisdom wink
I will search for a 116 on ebay.de down the track with the obstacles being finding anyone willing to post out to OZ & the translation of words & meaning, but am i right in assuming that most Germans have a solid grasp of the English Language?

BTW im sure there are special cables you can research & maybe get someone to add an extended reset switch for you to reach your left or right hand, so no more reaching round the back. Kopsec is an electrical engineer & maybe he'll see this.

Gotta say Sylvester is looking Mega-Tough as Cobra & Rambo III on your Thompson TV

And ODO keep persisting with the 116 & related hardware & never give up the PLUS/4 World Dream happy

OK i am now in edit mode & cant see the site uploader anywhere. Am aware i cannot double post so will wait for someone else to post & then reply to forum topic with 2 photos image246.jpg & image247.jpg

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-09
06:47:49

Site uploader...

If you look at the above menus and click on "Features", look down a little under 2009 and your see, "Plus4 World Uploader". Click on that. happy

Keep a copy of the picture code it gives you as your picture will not display when you first post a message, you have to "edit" and "save" again, then your pictures will display. It's easier to add your message, save this and then "edit" adding your pictures at this point...
When you first post there are short cuts that can be used to do stuff to save time, but once saved it turns into HTML and that's why the pictures now display once edited because you will be given the the correct HTML URL for where it is, which will now work.

As for the blood stains, George gave him a TED to the HEAD, and then he was DEAD. grin

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-09
07:35:08

Its my blood.

The old Lady didn't want to give it to me an kept hitting me with her umbrella, because she wanted 50 more bucks. After i gave her 60 more bucks, she wanted still more money. I ran for my life, after she took out the 45 Magnum out of her handbag, shot a few rounds and missed me. Fortunately she couldnt see very good any more....Hey, but i am proud owner of a c116...happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-09
14:55:43

Try a little bit of liquid glass cleaner on the box, like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windolene-Trigger-Spray-500-Pack/dp/B0082AA2QW/

Make sure it cleans with vinegar and not water!
Just put a drop on a kitchen towel and rub gently over the dirt and on the colour printed area only. The printed surface is coated to protect it from minor dirt and damage so it won't soak in when cleaning lightly unless the cardboard it's self is exposed, but keep in mind it's still cardboard and keep away from the edges and non-printed surfaces. Take your time.

You might even be amazed when you start cleaning, the colours come back into the print and how it used to look 30 years ago! happy

With a bit of luck that stain will come off, it's transparent so fingers crossed!

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-10
05:21:28

Good tip..i will try it!

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-10
22:30:35

Gee That Widolene sounds great ! Surprisingly there is no Aus version of amazon, but im sure that they would allow sales from UK & US by either paypal, paymate or similar method. Gee that uploading is a bit tricky guys, i will try it now; but didnt think to look at the Features section; can't we make it a little more user-friendly?...anyway wait till i post this then try editing it as you describe MIK !

Your an absolute PLUS/4 Legend MIK ;) What would we do without you ? Here comes another pic......

OK! Now its my turn to be picked on! Give it your best guys :)

The small TV is a black samsung & the mini-sd2iec is on the left hand side of the solid-black desk with the 1531 deck on top of the TV (safe position yeah & no chance of it getting shocked from the TV right?

This is now my initiation ritual. Do what you's feel is right but please no TEDS to the HEAD :) LOL

And let me know if yous want more high-quality pics from my Nokia 6300. HoooooWaaaaaaa .....!!!!!!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-11
12:10:40

Haha we were not hard on George, just a little joke as we would have to give blood for a C116. Last one on ebay.co.uk which I don't think sold was for over 300 uk pounds, awesome condition I remember it was mind.

Your C16 in front of the TV is nice and I like it that. Nice and comfortable I'm sure once your sat down for the evening.
Your making your other stuff look like a work in progress or maybe it is... Looks like your currently in the middle of sorting it all out and once your happy everything will all fall in to place. Spares and repairs will be stashed safely later on. happy

It also reminds me I so need to get an SD2IEC, ((jealous))

I take it that big old PSU is for the Plus/4? Different to ours in the UK any way.

Very nice though. Thanks for sharing! happy

PS. if possible resize your next pictures you wish to upload to around 600 in width, if you can. Not to worry if not. It's just to help keep the site width looking nice and so people can see everything if they are still using 4:3 on say a 1024x768 screen mode ect...
Yeah most sites have external forums and all fancy with adverts to cover the cost, this one is in fact part of the site and links all in to everything so that's why it's a little different, but ocne you get used to it it's simple as you found out.

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-12
05:24:43

Thanks Mik happy

Would like to add different icons like tongue-poke, big grin, green face & ninja every now & again but still not sure(even saw your pepsi poke).
Anyhow checked my nokia & it was on 1280x960 mode; have now changed it to 640x480 so next time it should be around half the size.
You were right about the black box being for the plus4, the other one in front of it is an old 9v 1a power supply for a c16 & notice how our power-plug points are inverted compared to your straight pin versions (universal adapter easily fixes this).
Would like to hear Georges impressions ? I have sticks and old objects lying around but no guard dog, alarm, umbrellas or magnum 45's for personal security for me & the precious plus4 vintages. Any chance you could get that magnum for me George & sneak it passed customs??
Oh & the mini-sd2 does not sit evenly at every spot around the table so i would try & get the 264 version or another larger version Mik. If i come across one i will send you a link !

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-12
06:34:20

Retro, sorry for not answering to your pics so far....Nice you managed to post your pics..happy

Interersting to see an australian setup, especially the mps803 in this colour. Is the power brick original? Never seen anything like this...happy

Now you need my new designed Game-pad and some Vic20 Paddles and your collection will become the holy grail of the holy grails..happy Just kidding. The holy grail ist the V364 of which only 3 known prototypes exist.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-12
08:13:54

If your on PC then I'm sure Windows Paint will allow you to resize your pictures at a basic level, going from big to smaller makes a better picture as well. Taking a small sized picture is the maximum res it will ever be so not always good. 640x480 is more than perfect as a size to post. happy

When ever you click to make a post or reply your see a little link above called "Forum Help", open that in another window and you see many of the short cuts for smiles, how to make links clickable and even auto link stuff. If your talking about something you know is on the site such as software and you know it by it's site name then you can put it in double brackets and once saved all the hardwork of doing the HTML link will be done for you, this is at the bottom of the Forum Help page how to make words auto link...

and on the subject of software,
Hard to say what would be the holy grail of Commercial Software of the day on our systems...
Mercenary is one of the top 10 Commodore 64 games of all time, that in it self could make it a possible contender on our system, but it would have to be the floppy disc version rather than the tape as the one to own. Very rare indeed.
When it comes to platform games as most systems have one to shout about it's Mayhem in Monsterland for the C64, for us and I would say it should be judged in the same light it's Tom Thumb but it's never been a valuable title because the masses don't understand what it is and that's a problem with a lot of Commercial stuff on our system. Sit tight and your get an original for next to nothing some times, all the better for those who want such stuff. happy
One of the most collectable titles money can buy today is... The big box version of Cuthbert Enters The Tombs Of Doom, right now this is as close as you can get to a holy grail for a C16 and guess what? A handful of these showed up on ebay.co.uk just before xmas 2013, (Brand New) and if you look today there is still a copy for sale! Holy Grail's go for the many hundreds of pounds on C64 such as Last Ninja Remix on Cartridge but as luck would have it Mayhem in Monsterland was released again in 2009 so people could buy it officially and around the same price it was back in 1993!
Cuthbert in recent times has had a price drop and can be yours for next to nothing or rather 30 UK pounds. Your still need to like the game at it's current price before you buy it because as I said, the masses don't understand and your be left with something not many will want to buy at the price you did, unless the right person comes along and they are rare. wink

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-13
06:10:36

Ok Guys I have some more pics, but first to clarify some things:

My 3 machines are 264 series & made in England. The power supplies do not state but I strongly believe they were sourced from Asia for production savings (China, Taiwan or Malaysia)
I also got paddles for vic20 & Atari 2600 & saw the related forum topic.
I have got Tom Thumb, Jet Set Willy & many other titles in my sd2 list but this device is not all peaches & cream. One title 'TimeZone'' displays a 'Break in 43620' error when button pressed & Frog Jump does not have option for joystick control & has double movements. Can you imagine how difficult this is with the plus4 sticky keys.
Time adventures & Mercenary, Cuthbert, Monster Mayhem are not on my lists but ill be sure to either add them or buy the originals. It would be great to own 'Grails''of software :D

Tom Thumb looks great. I got to the 5th screen but the controls take some getting used to.

I will now add the link to my mini sd2 device but it is only 7cm (L) by 4.5cm (W) by 1.5cm (H) * I have misplaced it several times; under a4 pads etc. Also many multi-disk game images refuse to load even though there is a switch for this. Overall around 80-85 percent of the games have loaded successfully thus far. There are still tons of games I have still haven't had the time to load up on the three various formats this little device supports

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-13
07:20:49

With Tom Thumb if you have the Shift Lock key pressed in when playing then Tom will always run. That's best way to play it and saves you holding fire to do the same thing.
Up Left or Up Right will make Tom Jump high and Down Left or Down Right will make Tom jump low, low jumps will be required much later.

Very mint looking Datassette you have and the colour of those buttons are most excellent too! happy
If you have a spare old style mouse mat with rubber base and material on the top then you could use this under your 1531 to stop it scratching the top of the TV or the other way around when you press play as it slips about from doing so.

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-15
21:17:04

Thanks for the Tom Thumb Tips grin

Yeah the Datasette is near mint with the only flaw being a small mark on the corner of the clear casing.
Forgot to mention that my house is so small & i got lots of vintages laying around, some are on permanent desk fixtures & others are boxed away or covered in thin towels to prevent dust from accumulating.
Only the old wrecked pc's & other crappy stuff i don't care too much for is left in the basement area to contest with the cool but mouldy conditions.
The sad fact about SD2 files is that they hardly ever come with instructions & i wouldnt even begin to know about cheats or pokes as they are known on other 8 bit machines. I have come across some cheats on this website but i may be starting a thread about this down the track.

Whatever happened to ODO? Have you got your 1551 yet? I have the sneaking suspicion he has gone to the Delta Quadrant to join the Great Link for some R & R happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-16
02:23:03

No I don't have a 1551 and have never been interested in them really because I use C64's also.
I use a 1541 MkII if and when, a little smaller which is nice and I have an original 1541 as a backup stashed away upstairs. I'm covered for C64,C16 & Plus4 with the one drive in that respect. If I ever get an SD2IEC then my 1541 MkII I'm sure will be stashed away for a rainy day lol.

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-16
22:33:00

I guess the only way for me to ever obtain a 1551 would be German Ebay or some other retro trading site. Best for you to obtain the 264 rainbow version like Georges happy
If you see this George please let us know your success in loading files so far!
What percentage compared to my 80-85% ?

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-17
06:43:04

Hi Retro,

i can't aswer your question, because i don't use the real hardware much. I work more with the emulators. But my device uses the standard components and opensource Flash-bios, which are free available in the internet. But so far as i used it, it loaded everything, mostly my own stuff, because i do a little graphic-conversions as you have seen.

Let me say, a sd2iec is a real help. Quick, small setup, quick interchange of files.
For nostalgic reasons, of course, everybody should use a Floppy or even a Datasette, that mechanical Dinosaurs. Where the 1551 is the T-Rex of all. Black, big, loud, bulky. And not very reliable an the plastic is very thin. Most of them break during shipping. Mine does not read any disks any more, and i paid over 100 EU for it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-17
12:10:20

Some people can be really fussy over how things load and I've seen this else where, like tapes but to me not only can you enjoy the artwork and instructions in you hands, it's nice to have that loading period as it can give you pause for thought and reflect with this super fast world we live in today. Also it gives you time read a retro magazine ect or even make a drink. No need to watch paint dry as it were...
Some C64 tapes it's the loading that is the best part of the game, nice picture to look at and cool music sometimes. happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-04-18
02:23:51

Mik, i totally agree with you. Next to the fact that you have to take your time to enjoy, i like the limitation of the machines. Therefore very challenging to programm to get the best results.

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-18
16:09:49

It's working the c116 is alive wink happy owner

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-18
20:54:17

Are we missing something you have not told us odo? Rüdiger has given you a C116 instead of the 1551? happy

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-04-20
06:37:07

Mik, I think he already had the 116 (pictured) but later stated that it was broken (good that its now fixed happy . He was supposed to work out a deal to obtain the 1551 from rodiger but not sure if he has obtained it yet ?
Better to meet him in person ODO as George has stated that the 1551 plastic casings can be damaged in transit.

BTW love the loading bits on the 8-bits; even had a basic playable in-game during loading for some cassettes on the 64, but this was rare.

Oh & Happy Easter Every Bunny :)

Prince Wills & Kate were in the mountains but I missed them :(

Posted By

odo
on 2014-04-25
14:39:16

finally some time to play with the plus4 have 20 original games wink BTW the PSU gets very hot.Does someone know a way to mount a d64 with the 1541U ?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024