Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-08
11:47:29
 16K Sabotage In Joystick Sauce

Saboteur C16 +2JIn the forum's thread where Yerzmyey/H-PRG asked for a trainer version of Robo Knight, there has also been a second request, regarding Saboteur C16, a request that flowed a bit unnoticed, with no real feedback about.

After some months, Luca of the FIRE crew has taken back to his steps, and realised that it had been formulated as a tangible request, not a simple chitchatting about a game! So, why don't accept it?
Moreover, a trainer for Saboteur C16 is a juicy challenge. Go to read what the original instructions say as first sentence:"...originally designed to run on computers with a least 48k of RAM. So to fit it in the C16's much smaller memory we have had to make a number of cuts (for example, you can not kill the guard dogs, or use a joystick). This version occupies almost every single byte available on the C16 - we are sorry for the cuts...". This means: hard to pack with an initial cracktro, and with no joystick feature.

It's a deal, then! Here comes Saboteur C16 +2J, an useful double trainer in order to finish the game at every difficulty level, plus the joystick feature, claimed to be cutted due to memory limitations by Barney, the misterious name that hides who's the actual coder. Slicing here and there, moving whole memory areas and other tricky stuff, and the cracktro fits too...yes, 'that one with the enjoyable tune composed by Csabo/LOD!

Rediscover a great C16 classic, now by comfortable joystick action!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-02-08
11:47:29
 Re: 16K Sabotage In Joystick Sauce

Wow, a real die-hard co-op happy thumbs up.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-09
13:35:38

Cool ninja picture! I was thinking could it of been possible to use the original Plus/4 ninja image on the intro screen but this Ninja image does the trick even better. Nice one!

PS. Never noticed before or my memory fails me, the official "Alternative Software" release shows the C16 version on the back cassette cover with blue bricks and blue screen tiles around the edge of the game area. Reminds me more of the Plus/4 version in looks.
The official Durell release shows the C16 version as brown/red as we know it to be. :)
Strange...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-02-09
14:28:45

Hi MIK,
How long did it take you to recognize that it is a ninja? I strained my eyes for more than a day and not managed to realize it. Take no offence Luca, please.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-09
17:27:50

I've had single colour Ninja training from playing The Last Ninja all these years. wink

Not straight away... A couple of seconds. The text was obvious of course and where my eyes looked first. I just had to pause for a moment and look a bit harder at what looked to be a pattern at first, but once I caught the eyes I saw him lurking in the shadows! Now I see him every time without fail because I know he's there. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-09
20:36:30

No worry, all critics are welcome happy I've tried my best wink

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-02-10
03:09:10

Nice work, pal :)

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-10
08:06:47

Has anyone's views on Saboteur C16 changed now it has joystick support? The original has 11 votes and a score of 2.8, even I voted 2 for it but some how looking at it now it's better than that. The size of it, even if a little basic in looks and play is impressive and it does capture the Plus/4 original some what.

Was a vote of 2 unfair or should it be more based on the achievement of getting it running with 12k? wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-10
08:58:08

To me, voting any release with any value is just a good move anyway wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-02-10
12:22:18

Nice work happy

I feel the original vote of 2 is a little unfair for the same reasons MIK gives. It really does play better than it looks. The basic game is all there. The map is very similar with a few cuts like the tram. It's not really a C16 game so have to give this Barney some kudos for effort.

I gave the original game a 4, so I'm putting an extra point on for the crack bringing it to midway 5. I'm struggling with the ninja pic, but nice work happy

P.S. It plays fine on YAPE at least... However the Play Online version on the Minus4j emulator here appears corrupt which I'm guessing is an emulator issue. Whenever I walk left-ways onto another screen it takes me completely elsewhere to another part of the map where I'm not supposed to be, sometimes trapped in a wall. It's OK if I travel off the screen in other directions though. I've tested this on both I.E & Firefox now and yet offline on YAPE it's fine. Strange. Obviously an issue with the Minus4j emulator.

P.P.S. ah, I see the ninja in the pic now. It's his eyes behind the mask we see. It helps if you stand back about a mile

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-10
14:32:21

Thank you. Eh that's the magic of all the PETSCII pictures happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-10
19:46:59

Cool, I'll give Sab C16 a vote of 4 now and Sab C16 +2 a vote of 5, the same as Sixteen Plus4. I can agree with that. happy

For anyone else finding it hard to see the Ninja on the intro screen, this below should give you a better idea as to "what" your looking for. wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-02-10
19:58:40

Some ninja that is. I can see him. :p

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-11
13:18:03

Actually, this looks astonishing, if it is a PETSCII too grin

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-02-18
09:42:32

If Csabo develops once a like button, i will use it forumtopics like this grin (Luca's comment was cool!)

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-02-18
19:01:14

Here ya go, Chronos. happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-02-19
02:59:57

thxthx! grin