Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
02:01:13
 A little BASIC demo from Finland

Fit has ported their "Beisikki demo", the winner of the Zoo'13 BASIC demo competition from C64 to Plus/4. Available here: http://ftp.kameli.net/pub/fit/zoo2013/beisikki__demo-plus4.zip

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
02:22:45
 Re: A little BASIC demo from Finland

I'll add to the archive once out from workplace.
Great job Marq! And congrats for the double victory! wink

Apropos, I really REALLY hope you're going to convert that fantastic coup de coeur coded by you and Dr. TerrorZ! The source would go quite the same as for the C64, and if you're searching for some good solutions to the SID sound, you may use the same SID file with a wave converter (e.g.: TLCs Digi V2.0 Converter Relocator V1.0, roughly emulates some SID waves by mixing digi sounds while the SID tune's going, quite time consuming) or FRQ converter (e.g.: MConv V1.6, which plays the SID file straight as multiplexed TED sound, rester-cheaper of course). Otherwise, you can ask for a proper TEDsound conversion of the Yzi's tune, even here in this forum ;) which would have the same timing to perfectly fit the demo flow, and of course this would be the clever solution, though it would need more time and work (everything cool need'em any case, no? ;) ).

For the readers, if you don't get what's the object of the discussion, this is the über-lovely The First Ball demo! ;

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
02:32:46

Can't promise much, but I did get the Goattracker tune playing on a Plus/4 with a SID cart. We're looking into it happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
02:46:21

Juicy news wink Just to say: the Yzi's tune TERRIBLY fits into that demo, the tune increased the overall result by 50%! Heh, of course I've missed to cite the SIDcard solution. If I should set my range of quality choices, it has would been as follow:

[proper TED conversion] >>> [wave converter]>[frq converter]>[SIDcard]

Edit: here are some examples of how Yzi's SID tune would play in all cases.

Run this PRG to listen to the SIDcard version. TED clock and no octave fixing have been performed (techs: you know, a different frequency between systems would mean a shifted octave, if no one fix it).
Run this PRG to listen to the Wave Converter version. No rastertime usage is displayed but believe me when I say this is the most expensive choice in terms of speed and memory.
Run this PRG to listen to the FRQ Converter version. I set the best multpiplexor choice: voice 1 plays the lead voice, voice 2 plays bass+drums and arpeggios.

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
10:21:41

The Goattracker replayer doesn't seem to play that high tones, dunno why. I get that there's something genuine with using TED for sound, but in this case it would pretty effectively ruin the tune that wasn't composed for it happy

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
10:50:29

Ok, it IS off. Need to think a bit.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
13:49:52

Didn't really get what with the Goattracker. As you'd listened from the SIDcard example I posted above, a SIDcard plays that as a normal SID file, with a different clock, hence a certain shifting in the octave, but all in all truly acceptable. I'd written a 30'' coding player for it, simply moving the SID registers from $D400 into $FD40, and don't hear lacking of tones at all (of course) :/

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
15:01:09

I tested with a different Goattracker tune that didn't suffer much from the higher pitches, but this one does. Let's see if Yzi can fix it sometime soon happy I got some of the animations onscreen with wrong colors but otherwise ok and will start next fixing the scrollers.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
15:20:02

Well, at this point we only have to wait for the results, even if I didn't understand the high pitch's trouble (there's a SID file, you play it via SIDcard, it's the same as on C64 with a little shifting into the original octaves) wink

Of course, wrong colours are not a problem, probably used that way for testing only cause PETSCII features screen color converting C64->+4 happy For any hint or help, the forum is here, feel free to ask for anything and someone will answer back for sure.

Just waiting for this... wink

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
16:52:34

The graphics and effects work almost perfectly already, the only remaining problem is the sound that we still want to fix. There seems to be a big difference in pitch between the VICE sidcart emulation and a real NST audio expansion. Any idea as to why this could be?

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
17:00:22

Ahem, there seems to be an option to set the clock on VICE to either Plus/4 (the default) or Commodore 64. NST seems to default to the slower C64 clock. Any tips would be welcome...

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
17:11:57

Oh jeez, I heard my SID example program on VICE and NOW I got what you mean, that's terrible grin Terrible but...false! wink
Well, xplus4 VICE is far to be a good Plus/4 emulator. You should use YAPE (most used) or plus4emu (most precise) instead.

If and when you need it, you can ask to us for real iron checking ;)

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-13
17:49:34

Ok, I'm starting to understand the essence of the problem happy

- Normal PAL C64 SID frequency is 985 KHz
- On a Plus/4 sidcart the freq is 886 kHz, about 11% slower
- VICE sidcart emulation only works properly with the C64 clock

At least NST's audio expansion lets you toggle the frequency, but I guess older, more primitive ones won't. So either need to accept the slight slowdown or try to fiddle with Goattracker some more. And then there's the need to support two different base addresses for the cart. Sheesh... turned out to be a bit more complicated than I expexted...

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-13
17:53:52

...and just to add some pepper (though useless then offtopic a bit): SIDwinder V01.23, released both on C64 and Plus/4, has a music packer on Plus/4 which fixes the tune's pitch 'bug' according to the chosen machine, very smart!

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-14
14:26:37

Okee dokee, I think we've sorted it out more or less. Before we release the final version here's something that'd love some testing:
http://www.kameli.net/~marq/thefirstball4-prev.zip
The sound side is a bit of an ugly hack - there are two different .prgs on the disk image for different sidcart base addresses. The Goattracker replayer doesn't allow for changing it dynamically and I couldn't include the same blob twice in the same file. The default one ($fd40) works fine on my NST's Audio Extension and VICE/Plus4emu.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-14
15:26:34

I'm gonna check it on the real hardware +NST's, then I'll edit this message with the results wink

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-14
15:34:12

Ok, please hurry! happy We just wanna get it out.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-14
15:36:30

Meanwhile (transferring...): I noticed you've written 'sidcart' several times. That's ok to me, but we used to call'it 'sidcarD' since 1992 happy

EDIT: tested both, everything runs absolutely good and cool ;) Both files work good on NST Audio Device and any other older sidcard (my original ynergy SIDcard dated 1993, for example...). WIth NST's, I also checked the Legacy option in order to play the Yzi's tune at its right clock rate and it works! <3
Of course, the file to prefer is the standard $FD40. A bit of history: the most known and used Synergy SIDcard by Solder included the double addressing $FD40/$FE80 in order to be compatible with the less and less known Csory's SIDcard, that used to lie in $FE80.

You did it Marq, congrats! ;) With these two demos, you, Yzi and the Fit crew deserved to be included in the Plus/4 World's scene database (Dr. TerrorZ will be cited but has to wait ;) ).

When you say go, we release it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-14
16:28:55

Are you going to release it as single PRG into a D64? In that case, if there's no particular directory art or other addons, could we release it as PRG, or do you really wanna release it in that standard form to be the same on any site?

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-14
17:22:23

(my nick is in some limbo after trying to register)

You can store the files here as you see fit. Here's the release Package:
http://ftp.kameli.net/pub/fit/zoo2013/thefirstball4.zip
The tune in the demo is reworked for 885 kHz, so it should play in tune and comparably to the C64 version.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-14
17:31:36

So you're going to release both the version, even though regular SIDcard play'em unregarding? Ok, I'm gonna deal with it wink Probably, you did that because of VICE's lack of emulation, but as I said before ppl who's interest in emulate the Plus/4 don't use Xplus4 from VICE...
That would be the official release stuff

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-14
17:43:43

Well, I kinda wanted to be sure even those people who have some $FE80-only rarity could see it, too happy

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-14
17:45:58

I'm kinda lost here. If you're talking about just the separately released tune "Zoo- ja zorkkatauti", that won't be modified. But the demo here contains a modified version that works fine with 886 kHz.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-14
18:53:08

Nonono the previous post did answer perfectly to my doubts wink

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-15
11:45:03

The frequency bug should be fixed in the upcoming VICE version. It was a very simple one, but somehow it had managed to be there for years.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-15
13:18:34

Very good! Another positive point about porting stuff to several different system wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024