Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rio
on 2013-03-15
23:47:11
 Asteroids Emulator for the +4

Just noticed this message over at Lemon. Looks like the coder doesn't know where to post to get the +4 community's attention wink

-------

Hi,

I now ported my Asteroids emulator for the C64 to the Commodore Plus/4.

You can find a description and the PRG file for download on my hompeage http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/.

The Plus/4 is quite an interesting machine also. It is similar to the C64 but automatically switches the CPU to a higher clock frequency during VBLANK and when the raster beam is in the screen border. This makes the Asteroids emulator a little bit faster than on the C64. Sound is quite poor, though (also due to the TED's limited sound capabilities).

Have fun!

Norbert

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-16
04:36:41
 Re: Asteroids Emulator for the +4

Go away! wink

Yeah for fun Asteroids was brought up on Lemon64, then someone was asking for an Asteroids clone on LemonAmiga soon after and I thought that was the end of it. Now it's here like a disease going around the commodore scene. ha!
There is more to the story, it was brought up in a different topic why the game does not exist on C64 in any form and that's how it started.

Should be grateful really and taking advantage of the 264's extra speed is a plus with this type of project so good for him for having a go on our platform! I did plug the likes of Meteorite for our machine in the original topic so maybe that led to this putting the machine in the spot light even tho the game is not really what our machine is all about...

Just find it strange Asteroids of all games. Most talked about game of 2013 so far I'm sure. happy

EDIT:
WOW, playing it now. SUPERB job and fantastic to play. Great little game for the Plus/4, Download it NOW!!!! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-16
06:25:30

Posted By

Rio
on 2013-03-16
08:26:16

I think his project was really all about bringing Asteroids to computers which have the same CPU as the arcade machine.
Asteroids was based on a 6502, and so he tried to target the emulator at 8-bit machines with compatible CPUs.
The only thing is that the 6502 on the arcade machine is clocked at 1.5Mhz whereas the 8-bit home computers are clocked at about 1Mhz meaning some slowdown is unfortunately inevitable. In any case the game is still playable, and after porting to the Atari 800 series machines and the C64, I guess a plus 4 version was another possible target.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2013-03-16
08:55:53

the word "emulator" made me think that this program was an other emulator like Yape!! but after ready over at lemon64 i will download it tonight and have a go! it is nice to see that people still find the time to port games like this. thanks to norbert!!

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-16
09:45:47

Really a great port of a great game. Perhaps the emulator of Norbert can emulate other vector-games of that era.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-17
05:59:26

Lets see an Atari Lynx version. wink

Anyway Luca has added this to the news and I've just copied my own comment as before to get the ball rolling.

Might be an idea to post any more discussions on that topic? Up to you though at the end of the day. People that click from the front page of plus4.com will end up there... that's all.

Link: Plus/4 Asteroids Emulator news topic

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024