Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-16
16:09:23
 Plus/4 Asteroids Emulator

AsteroidsDon't believe in lazy saturdays so close to a new spring time, when anybody thinks nothing notable can really happen! That's the right time to expect the unexpected to happens!

Norbert Kehrer is not a n00b into the emulation field, it's not for a coincidence his own site is named Norbert's Emulators. He thought that the Atari coinop game classic Asteroids that hit in the arcades in 1979, all in all, is based on a 6502 CPU, a proper video generator for vectors and some circuitry for the audio output. In the very end, machines like C64 and Plus/4 work with a similar heart, so why don't emulate that old fashioned vector game in all its charming elegance?

Asteroids is the pretty cool result Norbert has achieved: a very playable version of the Atari's ancient gem, even at higher levels, when the vector objects on screen are so many to move. The Plus/4 version runs faster than the C64 one, due to the advantage of the automatic doubleclocking that occurs when the Plus/4 raster draws on the borders.

Polished, playable, unforeseen. The only thing we can ask is: more of those surprises. Thanks Norbert!

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-16
16:09:23
 Re: Plus/4 Asteroids Emulator

WOW, playing it now. SUPERB job and fantastic to play. Great little game for the Plus/4, Download it NOW!!!! happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2013-03-16
16:27:39

great stuff! thx!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2013-03-16
20:16:18

Good job! Has a very honest feeling...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-03-16
20:24:17

I can only echo what you guys already said, but here it goes: highly playable, an unexpected but most welcome surprise!

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-17
06:00:46

Indeed, beautiful even porting an actual arcade machine as it was meant to be seen and it plays this slick!!

Did you vote?
Would love to give it a 10/10 but that would be unfair as I'm judging everything that's gone in to making it work when the game is an old school & fun little shooter which the C16/Plus4 always did good with in the past in all types and forms. I gave it an 8 looking at it as a game to play hoping that was about right, but the speed and quality of it is very impressive! happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2013-03-17
08:58:18

As long time passes, the more I appreciate the feeling of these old "pure" games.
Many thanks Norbert!

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-17
09:35:13

Hall of Fame.

Just to get the ball rolling I added a starter score for Asteroids, lets see some more. happy

Note, adding your name is a little slow but LEFT or RIGHT is used to select a letter and then hold DOWN for about 1 second for that current letter to add ect... As it says on screen, just allow it a little time so it can add that letter in turn. No need to panic as I did. wink

Link: http://plus4world.powweb.com/halloffame

PS. I found it better to play with a joystick than a gamepad with the thrusting, felt more natural.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2013-03-17
09:54:29

Wow that's amazing. Faster than the C64 version which was released last month happy

However I have found a problem. For some reason it doesn't work on my Commodore 16 with internal 64K upgrade, it crashes after the first screen when you try to enter the main game. It works fine in Yape in C16+64K mode though

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-17
10:20:51

Ok, Asteroids will be my very first score challenge ever, my score is just in! happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-17
10:29:45

44,220!!! WHAT THE...

Very nice score Luca! grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-17
10:38:33

I'm quite sure there's room to do better, I'm waiting for new challengers wink

May I add that I'm quite happy to see a new release with 5 votes immediately, clear sign of scene interest? I really would have the same to happen to every new or recovered stuff :)

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-03-17
17:13:42

I remember I played it on the original machine when I was a kid. I spent a several 20Ft (HUFs) on this game, when one icecream was only 5 happy

Nice game, though I hate those small UFOs... They were responsible for most of my lost HUFs in my childhood.

I made 11000 but no sreenshot, maybe next time. Well, what is this hyperspace thingy? I always die happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2013-03-17
17:27:44

It's a shame I can only play this on emulator

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-17
17:59:33

I love this old-school games. You don't need much to make a great game, as Asteroids prooves it. There should be more original arcade-conversions like this on homecomputers. Gameplay combined with good sound is much, much more important than sophisticated graphics, im my opinion. All the great arcade-games have good soundeffects and in most cases a nice melody.
Take Frogger, DigDug, Pacman, Phoenix, Burger-Time, DonkeyKong.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-18
03:43:46

Sixteen Plus, let him know there maybe a bug on a 64k C16. It's 19k and I even tested it on 32K setup but again it did not work. I guess the program expands beyond the 32K limits but why it does not run on your 64k C16 is strange.

As you say, it does run on Yape. Time to dig that real Plus/4 back out you have - no harm in using a plus/4 for a bit just to play it!
Not tried on the real hardware yet either.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2013-03-18
11:57:09

The Plus/4 I have stashed away (somewhere) is iffy and just conks out at any moment. I'll have to dig it out and maybe see if I can get it to work on it but I already assume it would do, if my own Plus/4 is up to it that is.

I'll probably need to go to his site and leave him some honest feedback somewhere, as of course he won't ever want a bugged version released. It definitely doesn't work on my stock C16 with 64K ram internal upgrade, yet it somehow works in Yape with the C16 with 64K upgrade? I don't get it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-18
17:42:28

Have you tried loading it from the monitor?
M(SHIFT)O
L"ASTEROIDS",8

Might be something as simple as that. Maybe it was saved 1 bite out? Yape does not care, it will load either way be it $1000 or $1001 because Yape is set to always load @ $1001, load"",8,1.

If it does work then yeah it should of been $1001 to $XXXX when it was saved originally. Again if it works, reload the file into YAPE and resave it from the menus, YAPE will save it correctly.

Other than that I don't have a clue.

Posted By

marcos64
on 2013-03-19
05:25:25

It works in my C16+64KB (internal upgrade). But I use the Megaload Plus to load it.

Very nice game by the way grin

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-14
19:52:00
 Re: Asteroids

Title:Asteroids
Category:Game/Shoot'em up
Release Date:2013-03-16
Language:English/German/French/Spanish
Size:64K
Machine:PAL & NTSC
Code Type:Machine code
Distribution:Freeware
Asteroids Screenshot

I think this is an amazing achievement of emulating the original game on a Commodore Plus/4. Here is my review on real hardware:

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-15
14:07:22

Nice score! If you liked the game, don't forget to vote happy

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-15
15:21:26

Gave it a 10 happy