Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-08
09:59:38
 C116, how far can you push it!

OK, so I have 2 c116 machines and have been thinking about modding one (maybe), but out of curiosity, if you wanted to mod one, how far could you go, as space is very limited in there! The only rule being, you are not allowed to mod the external case. Here is where I would start:

1. 64K
2. ROM upgrade
3. Remove RF modulator to free up some space

Your thoughts?

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-08
10:41:40
 Re: C116, how far can you push it!

My thought is:
Leave a C116 as it is, because there are to rare and valuable, and give one away to a serious C116 lover or collector. I had two 116 and i sold the other to make other people happy with it.
If you know the history of the 264 series, the 116 was intended as first model to compete with the Z80 for 49$. Its a piece of history.

Even if you mod it, the keyboard is so bad (in my opinion) that you cannot really work with this machine. This little nice machine is for occasionally playing or for the virtrine.

Posted By

crock
on 2013-03-08
11:57:32

1 & 2 have already been answered in recent threads.
You cannot remove the modulator unless you replace it with another circuit to create your composite video.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-08
16:22:41

Let the jokes commence...

Put the second C116 in a Supermarket trolley and I will push it all the way to my home for keeps. That's how far I will push it. happy

Or you could lone me one and I will push my luck by never sending it back. wink

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-08
18:11:18

Guys, I love the 264 series, I have owned them for over 20 years and I have a massive collection of software software and original documentation, which I have recently started scanning to share with the community. This thread is not about vandalising history, but simple curiosity.

Btw, the keyboards on both my c116 machines work far better than the 7 plus 4s that I have!

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-09
04:48:40

lol you hear the voices of guys who would love to have one in the collection. So yeah we personally would not touch them, almost sacred even as it was not sold here in the UK and for a 264 that small - who would not want to have one! We are NOT questioning your loyalty because you want to do something to one, that is up to you. Your free to do as you please just the first thing that comes to our minds is keep it original and nothing more. happy

So you can understand that doing stuff to one, even in thought is hard to comprehend as we don't have one to do anything too any way and even if we did you know the answer to that one...

If they were as common as a C16 then yeah 64K, internal SD2IEC and I'm sure some one would go as far as putting a PC netbook inside one as they have done with a Spectrum case.

As you know a C16 is almost an empty shell inside. I've always wondered if you could get a C16 & a 64C motherboard inside the thing. Maybe enough room to put a real 1541 MKII drive inside the case with just the C16 motherboard. Of course loads of room in a C16 for SD2IEC. Then again my usage of these machines is at a basic level, mostly games...

As for your Plus4 keyboards, you must of been unlucky with second hand machines. A brand new Plus/4 is faultless and can run like that for years. I had friends who ended up with sticky keys, but mine always worked. I also had no issues with a plus/4 keyboard to use, it felt nice and the arrow keys were in the perfect place for messing about which is something I would never change. But yeah... A nice and clean C116 will work just as good as a same condition Plus/4 and Plus/4 keyboard contacts can be cleaned as there is nothing too them other than being a glorified over sized joypad really. End of the day a Plus/4 allowed me to have a Computer, something I would of loved even when the Vic20 was out but the price stopped me getting one. Some people already know, I wanted a C16 for Xmas that year as time was running out and any computer would of done but because they were selling a C16 for £40 more than a Plus/4 and I ended up with the later! wink

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-09
05:43:19

Most of us would agree with Mik. The C116 is even listed on some sites as one of the rarer computers. I personally wouldnt touch one, but try to refurbish and maintain them. Even Bill Herd had no c116 until recentlly.

The chicklet keybord of mine is like new. My experience is that the keys do not respond if you don't hit them exactly in the middle. For me it dissapointed me in that point. But i don't use the machine anyway.

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-09
10:58:22

Mmmmmmm, to be completely honest, I never knew how rare these were! So now that we have all agreed that I am not gonna mod the machine, does anyone have a spare 64k cart for sale?

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-10
05:23:29

A 64k Memory cart is more rare than a C116 it's self. Not even I have one!

There is a 32K one which is a little more common but it's limited to about 2 commerical games. Jump Jet and Jet Set Willy, (the Enhanced Plus/4 version is in fact a 32K version and runs with a 32K machine) so no real gain in having one from a gaming point of view. But as a 264 item the 32K cart at least works.

Yeah, tell me about it. A real pig these carts are so rare. Many a C16 would come to life with one!

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-10
14:43:58

any pics of these carts? never heard of them!

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-03-10
14:51:24

so, a compact, 64k expander card seems to have the same market demand as the SID card, even better if it would let a second card to be plugged in (gg.Sid). Why the passthrough function does not exist, like on Spectrum interface cartridges? Is there any technical limitation i am not aware?

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-11
01:10:21

Here is a 64k memory cart, have a look in the hardware section above here on plus4.com but scroll down just below half way to see them.

http://plus4world.powweb.com/hardware/16_To_64

Sixteen Plus actually has one of these babies, I think he imported it from Hungary to the UK and cost not much more than a second hand C16 or Plus/4 bundle. Very nice item and his is Brown, but again RARE!

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-11
05:14:53

Yes and I will create more demand, as I'm happy to commit to buy three of these things if anyone could be bothered making them. And while they are at it they may as well make it even more useful and add the missing rom sockets and it should be fairly straight forward to add a socket for an ACIA port with an rs232 standard port conversion ! happy

Mmmm, maybe I should pull out the soldering iron!

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-03-11
14:31:43

wow, that would be a great extension of C16 and C116! Why not add then the SID IC too? happy

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-11
17:51:11

SID card yes, and finally a 6522 VIA to facilitate some IO interfacing!

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-11
18:06:16

Oh and it needs a name, how about the c16 SuperExpander?

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-12
14:50:32

Hi Mr. Australia,
show us some rare items of your collection...happy

Posted By

DeadTED
on 2013-03-18
07:38:46

I would love to but I do not know how to upload pics on this site?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-03-18
09:22:39

Regarding uploading pictures, let me point out the link at the bottom of every page on the site. The safest bet would be Luca in my opinion as he may be the very heart of our community and sometimes our "childish messiah" as someone put it a long ago. happy

Posted By

George
on 2013-03-18
11:53:57

You can upload the pics anywhere else und post the links here like:
>a href="http://www.mylink.de/Pic1.jpg">Picture1>/a>

replace the first and the third > with < and you get this:
Picture1

'http://www.mylink.de/Pic1.jpg' must be replaced your link to the picture. Give it a try.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024