Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

George
on 2013-02-11
03:50:00
 Start-Screen from Rocky [and Rambo, Cobra] (Sega Master System) converted

Hi all,

as a kid a loved Rocky on the Sega Master System.
Today i realized a dream of me an converted the Start-Screen from this game. I need some help to programm a self executable prg of it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-02-02
18:41:56
 Re: Start-Screen from Rocky (Sega Master System) converted

If someone else hasn't offered it yet, send over what you have, I'll be happy to help out.

Edit: got it, working on it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-02-03
06:35:57

WOW very cool. Did Shinobi have the Ninja head like the arcade machine for it's title screen? That's the one I'd go for. happy

SMS also has a very similar sound like the CBM264 series but maybe it has 3 sound channels tho. Would be nice to borrow some tunes too. happy

Psycho Fox, check the in-game music. Maybe not the best example mind lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfEX6si96w

Maybe some more Adventures in Time 2 ideas to be found in Psycho Fox such as GFX.

Posted By

George
on 2013-02-09
09:15:47

Hi Mik,
you are free to convert some cool screens from the SMS or other systems.
I like this kind of conversions from the console world. Actually the screen looks much smoother on a real TV. The colors are not accurate.

I miss many games from the console world for our System. Even the Vic-20 got more love from the game industry at that time.

UPDATE: Converted the Start-screen from Rambo III (Sega Mastes System Game) too. Just for fun. Astonishing quality for a little homecomputer.

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-02-10
05:37:44
 Re: Start-Screen from Rocky [and Rambo] (Sega Master System) converted

OFF ha! If i am right, that is a philips tv, them it was produced in our factory in hungary and i released it from quality side. (if i am right it is the 'salsa' range, started in Poland, Kwydzin factory). It has rather faithful colors, only issue was the little geometry distorsion at the corners,due to high voltage in raster hw circuit. ON NICE PIC!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-02-10
07:23:28

OFF What are you talking about MMS? It can be clearly seen that there is a THOMSON logo below the screen.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-02-10
08:59:08

Very cool 10/10 for the picture! happy

All it needs now is some raster loading bars flashing and a game on the other side of it to start running a couple of mins later. wink

Posted By

George
on 2013-08-29
19:51:15
 Re: Start-Screen from Rocky [and Rambo and Cobra] (Sega Master System) converted

@MMS, gerliczer: Its a last gemeration Thomson 100Hz. Known for using quality parts from other manufacturers. Perhaps ther is a Philips in it. As far as i i know, there is a sony matrix display in it.

@MIK: Thanks for the good words. But i didn't do much, just using great tools. Yes, i still miss a well made Rambo game from that aera. None of the games made a very impressing. Maybe i will let flow my ideas on this.

UPDATE: Added Cobra (not from SMS this time)

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-02-10
19:28:46
 Re: Start-Screen from Rocky [and Rambo, Cobra] (Sega Master System) converted

OFF oh, holy suit! My low res mobile screen mislead me, the logo is not readable, and the design of the tv is like salsa. Sorry! happy

Posted By

George
on 2013-02-11
03:57:17

@MMS: Your mobile screen is like "salsa" too happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-02-11
10:12:56

COBRA!

Love it and looks better than the C64 loading screen!

Posted By

George
on 2013-08-29
19:57:08

MIK happy I like Cobra too. I was always jealous on the C64, having all this great start-screens from the Stallone-films. I do not care so much about the games.

Edit: I made a new possible startscreen for Rambo and want to share it with you. The picture is converted in many, many steps from a real scan, and result is best possible i can make so far. Multicolor Bitmap (160x200, no interlace, no dither).The Logo is repixeled quickly with my hand, and not optimized. Compare it with the original from Ocean. Which you like more?

Update: I refined the face with another tool and repixeled the eyes by hand. I think this is the end-stage of my conversion. The logo needs more optimization and finetuning

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-08-29
19:12:06

wow, your conversion look great! I prefer yours. happy
Btw on real CRT it looks more dithered automatically.
two suggestions may give more natural colors.
Maybe decrease a little the saturation.
I hate overdithered pictures, but for photos a little may give big improvements. Try something 0.05 for both settings, i like the two bottom method.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-08-30
16:36:04

Very cool. If that was the loading screen of the game for C16/Plus4 back in the day our jaws would hit the floor! happy

I think Terra Nova was as good as it got and a couple from Bug-Byte I recall.

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-08-30
20:29:29

the last one is just perfect! happy

Posted By

George
on 2013-08-31
01:03:32

Thank you for your nice reactions. As much i enjoy making this screens from the Stallone films (mainly for myself as relaxing from my hard everyday duties), i also enjoy sharing them and see your positive reactions.

I would love to see a Rambo - Game for our System. The C64 was was very good (Graphics, Music), but too hard to play and too short.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-08-31
04:54:59

Yes the AI wasn't very good in Rambo C64 as it worked like a magnet with the bad guys on a kamikaze mission.

I preferred the AI in C64 Ikari Warriors, they were dumb but the random fire and the pace of it was more interesting, challenging and rewarding the longer you survived going through the territory. Awesome game on C64 and my all time fav, one of the best Commando clones ever made. happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-09-01
14:58:10

Fully agree on the C64 version of Ikari Warriors! I can still recall playing it in the dorm (!) even in something like 1993-ish... the 2 player coop gameplay was awesome.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2013-09-02
09:58:52

... And here comes a quick mockup of 8-way charscrolling top-down wanna-be shooter "Rambo +4" happy I borrowed the guy from Commando.

http://i39.tinypic.com/euk8w6.png

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-09-02
10:02:25

...with mid-gray common colour coherency for software sprites! Spicy great! <3

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-09-02
11:23:02

Oh wow, that looks really good. I said this before: you have excellent talent for level graphics and design. So colorful... Can this really be done on char screen?

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2013-09-02
12:01:21

I made a very small fix (remove the red color from spiked fence wooden end) and the PRG is here:
Free Filehosting At File Hosting - Free File Upload. Filehostfree

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-09-02
13:13:43

Oh come on, that's total awesomeness happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-09-02
14:55:09

grey would work for the fence as if made of concrete. No time to look at prg right now.

looks cool tho. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-09-02
17:51:15

Pretty nice extra to the Rambo screen, a potential great PRG for the startup screen happy
(= total greatness)

In fact I really missed the fact that Terra Nova has startup screen. It is a nice feature, but (sorry if the artist is reading it) the spaceship looks a little "strange", assymetric.
I always have in my mind Sanxion or Warhawk loading screens, and Battery looks great (Arkanoid ands Cybernoid are OK, Zaxxon is not the best), when I think about "nice" spaceships. Maybe if any new release may happen soon, I may show something close on Plussy again to Battery happy
I was a little surprised, that some loading screens were not the design of the C64 artists (eg. SIR), but copied the ready from the box design art (OK, still a hell of a job). I have an Amiga screen with a girl from my childhood, tried to to the same, but at half ready stage I noticed she will look like a terrible mutant instead of great looking girl, haha!

OFF BTW I cannot log in with IE8. Opera Mini is OK on my mobile, I just removed Opera and Chrome from my business PC.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024