Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-10-05
12:16:07
 SVS-Calc V2.0

SVS-Calc 2.0The fantastic spreadsheet created by SVS of FIRE crew jumps to a higher level, and it goes overlays!
SVS-calc 2.0 makes deep use of the Austrospeed's overlaying technology. Now, a frequent disk access ensures perfect embedding of the single code's operations into the main compiled code, allowing even bigger operations to be performed and saving more memory for user's data.
This is the most notable one in a series of both evident and little improvements. The main new features have been listed by the author in a text which comes together with the new manual, colorful and clear to read. Let's see them:

a) PRINTING (to printer or to file -- CBM or ASCII)
b) SORT (horizontal or vertical -- ascending or descending)
c) CTRL-B for blanking managing
d) Blanking is animated by a raster color bar increasing of size. Every 5 completed frames, it becomes transparent to let user view process status.
e) RENAME and DELETE options. They are integrated with DIRECTORY.
f) GRAPHS can be embedded into current grid.
g) AREA SELECTION by cursor movements + SHIFT. Selected area is visualized reversed and can be freely resized. When an area exists it is prompted every time an input is requested (and inside INPUT box by [STOP]).
h) NAMES to refer a string with any value (cell coordinates, cells zone, text, formula, another NAME). They can be used inside formulas (ex.: name TOTAL="A1:C20"; formula can use it =sum(TOTAL) )
i) LOAD can be launched just viewing DIRECTORY.
j) Flexible CONFIGURATOR (instead of Standard or Reduced versions) on system boot. User can set how many rows and other dimensions in order to leave free RAM as he needs.
k) Automatic MEMORY WARNING window message, to warn user when free RAM becomes too little.
l) INFO window to show all parameters of current configuration and sheet.
m) SCREENSAVER 2 modes + test, with settable delay.
n) AUTOSIZING of column width on the basis of contents of all its cells (by Menu or by CTRL-L)
o) Separate disk units setting for 1) System; 2) User files; 3) Print outputs.
p) New funtions VAL(), DAYS(), WDAY(), LOOKUP(), SECONDS()
q) Option to view free memory as Kb or as bytes.
r) CLEAR can erase the whole sheet or only a zone.
s) SEARCH feature can optionally limit the searching inside the Selected Area if existing.
t) [F3] resets screen font after a crash and enables Basic editor :-?
u) FONTS selectable and switchable from a working spreasheet (4 different original new fonts)
v) Control codes (color, reverse, blinking) can be inserted inside the text of a cell.
z) Selectable world-area date format (DDMMYY / MMDDYY) - (Week' 1st day)

Absolutely complete and professional, SVS-calc 2.0 is a little jewel to show big code on slow machines. Just to cite the manual:"...this program needs 1/16000 the memory of Microsoft Excel, and runs on a system 1500 times slower, whereas an F16 fighter aircraft flies 'only' 800 times faster than a walking man". At the same time, SVS-calc_2_0 is not (only) that pretty cool example of fine code's optimization on an ancient computer: it's a tool which must seriously have to be used for actual job's purposes and day-by-day usages, thought to be comfortably used on emulators and set to their chance of speeding-up the whole system.

No words can be enough to deeply describe a so elaborate tool, you have to download it and try by yourself. And who knows, if you'll take advantage from it quite a long time, you'll end to discover the easter egg that lies somewhere into it ;)

Posted By

Patrick
on 2012-10-05
12:16:07
 Re: SVS-Calc V2.0

pffff...i just checked out the youtube demo and it looks impressive. will download and test it on the real hardware soon!

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-10-05
13:09:58

...although SVS-calc 2.0 gives the best of it on the emulators wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-10-05
13:13:47

Wow, impressive indeed happy Can't even imagine how much work has gone into this. Kudos, SVS!

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-10-05
16:57:54

Wow massive update!!!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2012-10-05
18:08:48

Jawdropping, as v1.0 already was wink Looks great and feature-wise this is quite brutal. So much care! Great Job, SVS!

A thought i already had with the v1.0: imagine this software was packaged with a stock +4 in 1985, things would have evolved very differently. It would have been considered the current killer app at those time wouldn't it!?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-10-06
14:27:59

Very nice and swish professional looking. I have no need for it though, I don't even own a printer.

I'm interested to know about this easter egg though happy

Posted By

Litwr
on 2012-10-07
00:05:23

IMHO it is one of the greatest piece of +4 software ever written. The only problem is speed. A better compiler or to assembler conversion may solve it. wink

Posted By

RobertB
on 2012-10-08
00:27:05

Excellent news! I'm going to present this software at the our November club meeting.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-10-08
01:01:14

Do you mean the Retro Derby?

I'll be booking my overnight hotel stay sometime this month so I can go both days. Can't wait. Nothing will ever beat the Novotel London Commodore shows back in the 1980's for me though, but this should be the closest happy

Btw...When I said I have no need for SVS, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate. Again, I just don't own a printer, but I used to with a C64 and this looks far better than Mini Office 64. I did check out the SVS video wink

I just make do with printing out my stuff at the library at 10pence a copy these days as I only need it occasionally. Ink is just so fricking expensive too, it runs dry before I print into double figures lol.

OK, I am waffling on. I just love seeing new stuff released.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-10-08
06:15:18

Maybe the easter egg is a digitized picture of SVS with his sunglasses off. wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2012-10-08
13:54:34

Congrats svs! 20 years earlier Microsoft would have bought it for a lot of cash..

Posted By

SVS
on 2012-10-09
02:37:36

I want to thank all you for the good words about SVS-Calc.
I should be glad if you try to use it in day-by-day usage and, of course, to reply to your question.

Posted By

George
on 2012-10-09
12:51:54

Great software. The plus/4 is made for this kind of applications and i really enjoy it.
If this software was made 20 years ago, the plus/4 would have been a killer machine.
I always supported the theory, that the software is making a machine successful or not.
The plus/4 had great potential, but it was not used at that time.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-10-09
14:38:36

C16 was to blame for that, but still... you can't change the past, only the future. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024