Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-12
13:19:04
 Legionnaire finally gets the love it deserves!

LegionnaireToday we step back in time taking a look at the classic Commando style clone Legionnaire that has kept us entertained for many years now. Tape images are one thing and as awesome as they are sometimes it's quicker to opt for the PRG versions when you want to get straight into the action. Well thanks to the coding skills of none other Csabo he has been busy working on a PRG version of Legionnaire that not only fixes the missing black boarder, but also adds the tape loading screen!! If that wasn't enough to get you excited... it runs on a stock Commodore C16 with 16K too all complete!!!!!

Many thanks Csabo once again for giving Legionnaire some beautiful restoration and allowing us to preserve this beyond it's normal means as it was meant to be seen! As always follow the link to grab your own update PRG file from HERE.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-12
13:19:04
 Re: Legionnaire finally gets the love it deserves!

Has to be one of the best updated classics ever. Very clever adding the loading screen to the prg file Csabo. Even the raster lines as it unpacks makes it look like it's loading from tape. Very cool and thanks again. Top Stuff!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-12
15:04:16

Fantastic work, and on a stock C16 makes it even more special happy

I'm going to have to maybe copy myself off a disk solely with fixed games.

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-05-12
15:23:38

happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-13
05:55:21

Or how about a Cartridge that has a selection of the games you are fond of the most. Simple menu with just a list, type the number and go. I can dream. happy

I'd gladly take Pirate Adventure apart to house the new cart. Not only would it be a load of pirated games, but would make a great adventure. The Name can stay.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-05-13
17:24:47

Lando: If I could 'Like' your last comment... wink Seriously, I think something like that was made for the VIC20 actually.

EDIT: ha-ha told ya

www.mega-cart.com

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-14
03:37:33

That is so cool and to think even a Vic20 got something like that. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-14
12:24:51

I really want one of these.

www.1541ultimate.net

I'm sooo tempted, but it's so expensive and so I have to keep slapping myself out of temptation, and it's not compatible with C16/+4 anyway

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-14
15:18:54

I know what you mean Sixteen Plus, it is smart just the machine that will use it most needs a clean up of it's commercial games me thinks.

How would you like Tom Thumb to start like this?

Cracked by the crew on the loo in 92 with music that will make you vomit too.
(some flashing lines of scrolling which they hope will make you go blind)
Respects to the brothers from another mother - they said it could not be done but 2 hours was all it took my gran!!
Would you like unlimited lives? YES/NO
Please insert disc 2.
NOW LOADING PLEASE WAIT:
/end

Still want one for C64? grin

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-14
19:17:59

Ah all those pointless C64 greetz. the original bloatware. There must be around 5 different cracks of each game on average by now. I couldn't put a percentage on how many of them are bugged cracks

I still want one lol, but my bugged 1541-III will have to do for now which works on all Commodores. It just can't seem to handle long filenames and disk swapping.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-15
05:03:06

Haha I'm glad you agree. I'm also fond of C64 and have a large wad of original games made up mostly of Tapes, handful of disc's and a couple of carts. Some fond memories, good times and some great games! Just yeah a lot of people have made the cracks a bit ugly when I'd gladly listen to the original loading music, watch the loading screen like paint drying on a wall and to then get a game that is not bugged all from tape. Worth the wait! happy
I even have a bread box C64 just so I can hear SID at it's best.

Tho I would not trade it for my C16 & Plus/4 collection!

I cheat on Plus/4 for loading stuff from disc,
DI (SHIFT) R

When the directory is in view I use the arrow keys, go up to the file I wish to load and at the file size DLOAD fits in perfectly. Use the right arrow and go over and delete PRG, then just press RETURN.
No long names to remember or get wrong. May look a little ugly but does the job and saves loads of typing.

But yeah going back to that Ultimate 1541. No two ways about it, it is cool. Small box of tricks that can hold backups of your collections & more. Very temping!

I believe the tape decks will fail long before the tapes do them self. Not even had amiga discs die on me. As long as you keep them dry, clean and safe I think they will out live us. Not sure about the tape desk mind, I've lost 2 on C64 & 1 on Plus4 in recent times...

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-15
07:32:05

I load from disk slightly differently. I just press F3 for the directory , then I go up to the file I want, but I don't DLOAD" as the quote means I can't use the arrow keys. So I just LOAD, delete the PRG at the end, then go back to the end of the last quote and ,8 or ,8,1

On my 1541-III flashdrive it's different again. I have to LOAD "$insertnamehere",8 with the $ too to view the subdirectory contents and then the usual as above to load the game, using the navigation buttons on the device seems to freeze the computer, and the guy hasn't updated any firmware for a few years now I think

I would be more tempted with the ultimate if it was 264 series compatible, as it is a lot of cash to pay out, but with all the good shit on it I'm still very tempted.

I have a 64K C16, a plussy and an original 64 breadbin for the same reason you give, plus I prefer the style. I think the plussy is on it's way out though as it occasionally crashes on startup. I blew up my first C64 from a bent paperclip to userport reset method, unforuntately I touched the wrong pins, boom

I don't have near as many games as I used to 17-25 years ago, and as I've long been planning my move to the USA I'm going to have to get rid of a load of C64 tapes. If I had to choose one machine to take, of course it's the C16, I help run the C16 site, doh. I plan to take both though. Converting it to work over there will take some thinking about as I refuse to own an NTSC machine. Gonna be a more expensive hobby from then though

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-15
11:24:02

You ok for C64 reset now?

I have an Action Replay IV cartridge for C64. Never used it, tho I think that allows C64 reset? And this other thing called a Power Cartridge, again reset? Never used either...

Do you have a spare 64k ram pack for C16? I want one!! happy
My 16k ram pack is a waste of space.
As of recently while I mess around with a good number of 16k games I use my c16 to save the Plus/4 just a little longer, that's the plan. Some of the prices now on ebay for Plus/4's are crazy and could cost you more then they were new!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-15
12:49:23

They're both reset cartridges and a bit more. I accidentally trod on my beloved Action Replay VI (the best of all) and now the buttons are wobbly, the reset currently doesn't work due to a missing piece

I do have a 64K ram pack for C16. But I am doubtful about parting with it as they are pretty rare. I only ever saw one (the one I have) come up on ebay. If my 64K C16 ever goes kaput, I'd be stuck (especially once in the USA). I just can't get used to a plussy keyboard and I'm no good at upgrading

I did find this last night though.

Commodore 16 C16 with 64K RAM! Caterpillar "Standard" Boxed system

Another tempter.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-15
15:55:53

Ah shame you don't have a couple of spares for the old C16. Might of parted with these two coz I don't use them.

** Out comes the fishing rod **

http://i49.tinypic.com/4hcwsn.jpg ;)

Yeah I've seen that C16 with 64K as it's been up there for a while, well over a month and then some. Obviously on board me thinks as they have not gone in to any detail how it's been done or how it's been added or even if it is a cart. Reads to me it's been open any way.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-16
04:03:40

That's a very large rod you have

You'll have to let me think about this.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-16
04:30:45

The C16 & Tom Thumb are not included. I added those just to show I actually own them and was not a random imagine taken off the web, chances of the 2 items in a C64 picture is no way! wink

Think wisely, I won't blame you if you wish to keep your cart! It was only if you had spares the thought crossed my mind, last thing I would want to do is take something from your own personal collection which you have for a reason and I totally understand and respect because I would not want to part with it either! happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-16
04:56:07

I knew you'd understandably appreciate it happy

I thought you threw in Tom Thumb too just because I always rant on about the game lol.
The thing is, if I was as desperate for a 64K cart still as I had been for many years, I'd probably (no, I know) that I would throw in the same deal in your photo.

There might be a possibility though that I could part with my internally expanded 64K C16, but I'm trying to contact the guy who upgraded it for me, obviously it's been opened up so he could upgrade it. I'm also pretty certain he said that he repositioned some of the vital chips so they'd last longer but unfortunately I've lost the PM's on Lemon64. I've emailed him to remind me as he hasn't posted in nearly 2 years now. Fingers crossed.

If you're interested in that, I'll try let you know all the specifics and it would still be far cheaper than that £100 C16+64K on ebay, it's definitely 64K though. Obviously your C16 would have to be included too otherwise I wouldn't have one then lol happy

I kinda feel bad because we both know the importance of the 64K cart which I would really regret losing. But I wouldn't make any kinda deal with anyone else (or very few) with my expanded C16 as I really had no plans to part with that either, but I know that it would go to a good home.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-16
06:18:27

Sadly this is the only fully working C16 I have.

So sorry I can't really part with this one even if I'm getting the same thing back but better, way to much of a pain to send as I have never sent anything so big and with-out a box! I still have my Plus/4 so I am not missing out as it were. I appreciate your kind words tho, very kind of you!

There is an Action Replay Mk5... if it really is one? On ebay right now for £25 if it's of any use.

Commodore 64 Action replay 5 C64 cartridge

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-16
06:53:55

Well, we both have one fully working C16 anyway so it wouldn't make any difference to either, only difference to you is that yours would now be internally upgraded to 64K whereas mine would mean I just insert my cartridge into the slot to make it 64K, both options are near as rare. But for that would naturally mean i'd accept the 2 C64 cartridges as well as your 16K C16.

Otherwise I've got 2 C64 cartridges, but no C16 computer to plug the 64k cart into (I really want to keep the cart more) and I couldn't do without the C16+64K, and I can't handle a plussy keyboard. The 2 C64 cartridges I'd make lots of use with, it doesn't matter about Tom Thumb though, I already have it.

Sending parcels is a pain too, I know. Also it can be hard to part with equipment we've had so long, the memories.

But the offer is still open, and we'd still both have C16+64K machines. All the time in the world if you ever change your mind happy

Otherwise if I ever find another 64K cart on ebay before anyone else, I'll be the first to let you know, I'm still always looking out for them although I wouldn't buy another myself.

I was surprised that you didn't already have one tbh.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-16
13:14:33

Cheers bud.

I don't have one because Plus/4 is my main machine so I never looked in to it. Got my 1st C16 in about 2000-ish. I picked the 16k ram pack up because it was there, maybe 12 years ago as well. Saw that half the cracks of 16k games that may not work on a stock C16 don't load either with the extra ram so forgot about it and stashed it in a draw - the cart that is. happy

I'm using the C16 at the moment just to play some old classics, just being greedy!

I guess being stupid, if I lose my tape drives and that's some 300+++ original games that can not be loaded from tape then I would be looking at getting the lot on floppy and you know what that means. 64K. wink

I pray the day never comes. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-17
06:38:31

The temptation was just too great, I pre-ordered the 1541-Ultimate.
It's just a shame it's only for C64 and doesn't work for the 264 series
But it means that I can reserve the 1541-III for the C16 only. just a shame that it doesn't seem to work with multi-disk games as yet.

What finally swayed me was that I also looked on it as an investment as it will be a limited production run. If I ever have no choice but to sell in the future, I'm good-guessing that I should at least get my cash back.

Posted By

Romppainen
on 2012-05-17
07:46:13

"It's just a shame it's only for C64 and doesn't work for the 264 series"

It depends, cartridge's internal features are obviously out of the question but actual floppy drive emulation works as well as any 1541 drive: If you have enough hardware and free desk space just use C64 to control Ultimate and hook its drive cable to C16.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-05-17
08:15:15

^^^ I've been wondering that myself of the possibility, because you can do the same with the 1541-III as in powering it up via the C64's cartridge port and plugging its drive lead into the C16's drive port, or just use a voltage adaptor if you have no C64.

But with the ultimate, it is basically just a C64 cartridge as far as I'm aware, which is a different size. It also comes with C64 utility cartridges built-in such as Action Replay etc, so for that it is likely not compatible for the 264 series even for drive emulation alone. I'm not quite sure how the Ultimate works yet tbh, but that's what I'm guessing.

Anyway, must remember to put the new Legionnaire crack on my 1541-III happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-17
10:04:57

Sixteen Plus,

Enjoy your new device which should keep you busy and a great way of preserving for future use! Best of luck. happy

Indeed, that new Legionnaire is awesome and begs to be put on to floppy!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-05-17
11:07:41

At Lando's request BMX Racers received the same treatment. I'm generally for keeping the PRG files as intact as possible... But: 1) we do have the TAP file, so that's the purest form of backup anyway, and 2) the PRG both games had the colors wrong. My PRG "cracks" (if they can be called that) are still as close to the original as possible. So... Enjoy I guess happy

Posted By

Romppainen
on 2012-05-17
11:38:12

"But with the ultimate, it is basically just a C64 cartridge as far as I'm aware, which is a different size. It also comes with C64 utility cartridges built-in such as Action Replay etc, so for that it is likely not compatible for the 264 series even for drive emulation alone. I'm not quite sure how the Ultimate works yet tbh, but that's what I'm guessing."

There's no need for guessing, it has been tested and it works - and why wouldn't it? Ultimate is more like mini computer than just a cartridge, UI and some features like built-in utility carts do indeed communicate with C64 via cartridge port but emulated 1541 shows up and works just like real thing thru serial - it doesn't matter what computer you hook it up with as long as it's compliant with Commodore serial bus.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-17
16:49:10

Many thanks Csabo for the new .prg of BMX Racers giving it the same treatment as Legionnaire with the Title Screen, joystick/keyboard control options, fixing the road colour and of course the whole game as one running once again in 16K!

Indeed this was another one of those rare ones again missing one key ingredient which was set from the loading screen as before that meant the .prg version was not how it should of been. On the plus side your new version makes my old .d64 file redundant now as that was the actual non-turbo tape code on the disc to correct the problem. A single file keeps everything clean and tidy which now complete, is more than you could of asked for and is another cracking job done! happy

Many thanks again Csabo, very cleaver stuff as always! grin

Small story.
I actually see a screen shot of BMX Racers in one of the UK computer magazines and it had a good write up too whilst browsing the mags in a shop. At this very same time the Commodore 16 was being advertised on TV and as I never had a computer I so wanted to have a C16 so I could play BMX Racers!!! Stupidly the C16 was £40 more than a Plus/4 which had 11 games and a joystick. I guess you were paying for the C16's keyboard...
It's funny how things happen. I ended up with a Plus/4 and still got to play the first C16 game I ever caught sight off.
So along with Mission Mars being the first game I actually bought with my paper round money, BMX Racers shines as the game for me that started it all. Understandably I have a soft spot for it.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024