Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-01-05
03:07:47
 Re: The game programming question still unsolved for almost 25 years

Hi there and welcome.
Being not a guru coder, that's my cheaper answer:

1. software sprites! I remember I coded'em myself (masked animated and so on) in Thalassa demo years ago: basically, what appears to look like an 8x16 (2x2 chars) software sprite actually is a 3x3 chars piece of background graphics where you intend to copy your "sprite" in the chosen shifted place excluding one colour (which will be the transparent one); for speed reasons, you can draw the same graphics for your sprite 4 times, one for any pixel shifting into that single character; all the sprites you can see in Plus/4 stuff is a software sprite; have a look at all the demos containing sprites to see how they work (mmm, maybe I should add something about software sprites in the demos'glossary...);

2. well you can see by yourself, they're all animated characters ($FF16 = #$1B) with enough frames (but not that many...) to perform rotational animations, there's colour clash too, if in contact you can see the charbox boundaries and of course the starfield disappear when running under any charbox even if black.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024