Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-22
13:54:16
 New Game Released: Adventures In Time!

Adventures In TimeThe dice has been thrown, but the world doesn't know it...yet!
A disastrous distortion in the time flow needs to be ignited only, the infernal machine awaits for you, a curious yellow snorkel-shaking bouncy thing, during your free walk in the woods. And it has got its bet back, you pushed that damn button!
Will you pass out like a nerdy crybaby, or will you push till becoming a real hero?

After the weird retina-striking advertising performed with the release of Time Travel Slideshow, Kichy of Assassins is very proud to present this little cute undemanding platform game: Adventures In Time! Luca/FIRE helped him here and there, with some animated characters and an intense usage of TED sound.
Get your dangerous trip into several evocative rooms, dodging nasty foes, avoiding lava water and acid pits, and jumping on the right walls to reach the machine and stop it. Improve your skills, reaching higher levels in your time traveller's ranking, try it better and better!
Assassins leave the challenge to you right now!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2010-04-22
13:54:16
 Adventures in Time

B+! Its marvelous! Carefully handcrafted graphics and original soundtrack! Congrats guys!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2010-04-22
15:03:01
 Re: New Game Released: Adventures In Time!

Fantastic bit of coding. You guys are the new Sout and Udo Gertz on the scene.

I just watched the youtube clip. People go on about the poor sound chip on the C16/+4, but I've heard lately tunes that sound like they were using the SID chip. Nice work there Luca.

The graphics are C64 quality and the obstacles look well thought out. The gameplay does look tricky yet challenging enough to keep on playing. It looks like a C64 game, I love seeing the machine being used to it's full potential especially with games.

It's not often we get original homebrew games and this one looks a stonker. Seems too good to play on an emulator so I'm transferring it to floppy. Nice work, always love to see more original games happy

Btw Is there a joystick mode? I'd hate having to use the keyboard.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-04-22
19:46:47

Fantastic game, hats off to you guys. A total surprise, unexpected gift to grace our sleepy scene happy

The engine is top-notch and therefore so is the gameplay. Although nobody has ever made statistics on this, but my feeling is that there are only a handful of games that use graphics mode. The additional colors really help! The levels seem well thought-out, if a little steep on the learning curve.

The only thing I'd ask for is what Sixteen Plus said: jotstick controls! A game like this really needs them. But never mind that, we can live without it. Again, congratulations guys on putting out such a high-quality release!

Posted By

Skoro
on 2010-04-23
02:30:18

Very nice game guys! Congratulations!!!

Posted By

Rachy
on 2010-04-23
03:23:10

Nice! Congratulations!

Posted By

Jakec
on 2010-04-23
03:24:36

Great job! I hope you will continue ... happy

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2010-04-23
03:54:30

MARVELOUS.

Posted By

Ati
on 2010-04-23
04:44:56

I love it!

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-23
05:39:43

Our hearts truly beat faster because of your warm words, thanks!
All the ppl asked for a joystick feature, hence we will release an improved version in few hours happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-23
06:03:30

Truly outstanding stuff, guys! Very enhanced usage of TED sounds, nice ingame tune and sfx, nice graphics, nice gameplay, ...nice overall "design", if that's a measure.

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-23
06:35:29

Hey Guys!

Fantactic work! Marvellous gfx and very catchy music! The gameplay also at the same level as some classic "best of C-16" from professional studios. So I can say it is a real gem in all aspects.

I really liked the background gfx, like the caves and all little details. happy

Only one question: if it was done in multicolor gfx mode, why you do not XOR the main character during movement? I suppose it is the color3, so would cause no color changes (would look like a sprite). Or it would took too much CPU power? (pls do not take this question as a pressure, just curious)

Posted By

Lacoste
on 2010-04-23
07:22:40

Very nice! Code for unlimited lives ? happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-23
07:26:24

MMS: of course, we're so glad to discuss about our release, friendly words are great but in-techs interest stays longer wink

Of course Kichy would be the best voice in field, but I try my guess. The graphics philosophy behind this specific game would be: colours yay! The whole game runs in MC bitmap, and this because, once fixed black and gray, you can have all the colours you wanna have in everything on the screen: foes, player, background element...everything.
If XORed, the player would overlap on background which may be different in one or two colours, and it would mean a very notable colour clash.
Another issue: XORed but moving char by char, or XORed and moving by pixel? It would have changed the game core since the beginning happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-23
07:27:16

Lacoste: something exists wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-23
10:25:40

After 24 hours only, by popular demand, Adventures In Time J, with joystick support!

Posted By

SVS
on 2010-04-23
11:17:05

Great one!

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-23
11:34:04

aahhhhh, grey was the second fixed color! Then everything is clear wink
cannot be done better happy

Posted By

monoceros
on 2010-04-23
15:43:07

I will like to test it soon, looks and sound very good

Posted By

Degauss
on 2010-04-23
17:17:24

This one really came from nowhere. Graphics, Sound and Gameplay: Absolutely great! You guys really rock!

Posted By

MIK
on 2010-04-24
03:04:55

WOW I could not believe my eyes and the music is amazing!!! happy

Congrats guys for making such an awesome title. 10/10

Posted By

NinjaDRM
on 2010-04-24
05:12:45

Wow, great game! Like it very very much, straight 10. Congratulations, all involved, you raised the bar happy

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2010-04-24
13:57:47

I just played it over! Great intro, astonishing graphics, sensitive controls, fluid and cute animation (I especially like the drowning onehappy), professional music, whispery sounds, challenging gameplay, a diverse map, and a nice ending. It was a memorable trip, thanks guys!

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-24
15:37:04

Hahaha happy Kichy was worried because he'd found the game "too difficult to finish"! I see everybody reached the end!

Posted By

Ian Coog
on 2010-04-24
15:56:01

B947 CE B5 B8 DEC $B8B5 << AD: inf. invulnerability to enemies
BFA3 CE 44 BF DEC $BF44 << AD: inf. lives

Posted By

Ati
on 2010-04-25
01:09:39

If you do nothing, the hero sleeps. happy Very hard.

Posted By

Chris
on 2010-04-25
03:34:27

Excellent release guys, it's suddenly jumped into my top 5 TED games of all time.

Thank you.

Posted By

siz
on 2010-04-25
08:39:17

I just had the chance to check the game. Awesome work, well done, boys! happy

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2010-04-25
11:28:36

Hi Everyone,

I just wanna say I'm really very happy and totally surprised by all your feedbacks! I never thought it will receive so much positive feedback. happy

K.

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2010-04-25
14:04:35

I love the in-game music - entirely apt for this sort of game in my opinion... the game is a little tough but also very good. Superb work!

Regards,

Shaun.

Posted By

Ati
on 2010-04-26
14:38:56

Visit Scene.hu! happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2010-04-27
10:49:42

lol it isn't fair, i'm missing out.

i could be tempted to play it on emulator but it just wouldn't be the same experience for a game with such high calibre, so i'm not tempted at all and prepared to wait until i have at least one working drive, which should hopefully not take too long.

i hope psytronik releases this as it's a game well deserved and you all deserve something out of this. if it goes ahead, would there be any possible chance of a cassette release as well as disk?

another reason i hope psytronik releases this is that it might tempt coders more to create new games. but obviously sales will be pretty limited and i reckon we're willing to pay a slightly higher price for this to keep C16/+4 commercial releases viable. if they decide to keep a limited stock availability for each time stocks run low, i can't really see it going wrong.

Posted By

Lacoste
on 2010-04-27
12:24:40

It's 10/10 ! 14 votes! Why don't we see in the TOP LIST: http://plus4world.powweb.com/toplist

Edit:
Sorry, sorry, sorry !!!!
Firefox F5 button ! :)

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-05-24
08:52:27

Thanks guys for creating and releasing this brilliant game!

Ever since Kichy asked how to blank out stuff on the screen I was looking forward to this. Bitmap mode was an excellent choice, I like the details, same for the music happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-05-28
03:57:16

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-05-28
07:03:29

Nice happy

What's up with Psytronik's website?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-05-28
07:11:22

It will be back this weekend.

Posted By

Chris
on 2010-05-28
17:09:59

Fantastc cover. Do you know when it will be available to purchase?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-05-28
17:20:20

Mmmm a dozen days I guess, Kenz is now trying to use our TAP file in order to have a tape release too.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-05-28
19:57:58

How much new stuff do we get in the Premium Edition?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-05-29
03:12:55

Ah dunno, budget and premium releases are different in packaging only. Let's see what happens to Kenz with the TAP file we gave to him, but I think if this doesn't work, then a C64 waves one will work for him instead, and we'll have our tape version too.

The Psytronik release is not so far from the "J" version of AiT. Kichy has optimized the memory storage of rooms, and we gained a very little slice of memory, which has allowed to add something:
- an unremarkable bugfixing (reaching a lower room by falling down leaves a very little flickering when the screen changes);
- the Psytronik logo both in the intro and in the title screen;
- a pause/quit option;
- some little gfx addons in the first rooms (moon and stars).

Posted By

retroscener
on 2010-06-04
18:51:53

I finally got one of my drives to work and this was the first game for my newly expanded C16 (thanks shem on lemon64) on the list. I just didn't want to play it first on emulator, I wanted the first full experience first hand on the real machine. I had to wait about a month though but it's been worth the wait.

It's astonishing. I'm getting just that little bit further every time right now. If more games of this high quality comes out I will never need to setup my C64. In fact if there was a direct straight port of it to the C64 I'd reckon that not many would tell that it was a straight copy. It's a shame that not that many games of this high calibre (in terms of gfx & sfx) was released back in the day. It's an addictive game and will likely have another bash on it tonight. I'm awaiting the psytronik release. 10/10 happy

edit: After more lengthy playing and getting that much better and further, I've then just been listening to the 2 main tunes for 2 hours (about an hour each). a very pleasurable experience and easily the best tunes I've heard on the 264 series. How on earth did you manage to squeeze seemingly 3 voices out of 2 sound channels? (like percussion, rhythm & lead, as that's what I hear).

This is partly why I'm more a C16/+4 fan than the C64, as well as the C16 being my first computer, I knew it was never really realised of it's full potential unlike the C64 (until now). Are there any more new games in development? I hope so, as demos are fine for showing off pure talent, but for gamers such as me we also need the interaction. I thought Udo Gertz and Sout were technically brilliant, but the bar has now truly been raised, and I'd for one would love to see more games worthy of Psytronik releases. The pure satisfaction you must feel right now feels tangible to us too. Don't mean to sound all gushing, I have one or two verrry minor niggly minuses about the game (such as no score/hi-score) but congrats guys.

PS. Psytronik site still down, now I'm getting worried.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2010-06-05
16:11:45

todat, it was also my first play of this perfect game!! top work, guys!!!
i only checked out the youtube video, but now i am confinced it is a winner!
i love the sound and the graphics are great too. game play is good, you really need to think where to go. and thank god there is no time limit!!
the curious yellow snorkel-shaking bouncy thing reminds me of Jack out of the great game Jack Attack!
i love to see this as a disk release and i will buy it.
hope to see more games like this.......pfff...XEO3, Bomberman........(dreaming?)

btw: my girlfriend said the music is nice as ringtone for a cellphone. anyone knows how to do that?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-06-18
03:22:53

Coming Soon

Posted By

monoceros
on 2010-06-24
11:30:17

How to play in a plus/4 with SD2IEC?

i have file brwonser in c64, but i don't know which program will work in plus 4

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-06-25
15:10:49

Hi Patrick,
If you have some time, and the mobile is capable to play mp3, it is easy.
Download Mp3MyMp3 SW. it is able to record any source. Set the Plus4Emu, that it can play music in the background.
Start AIT, and during loading time start the record with MP3MyMP3. After you feel it is enough, save it in MP3 format (I suppose 128kbps more than enough), and yes, you have the ringtone in Mp3. Even you can play it without PC, if you just want to hear it (preparation for the gaming session at the evening happy )

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-06-27
08:44:05

Oldschool Gaming review.

Posted By

RobertB
on 2011-06-12
02:04:18

I'm about to buy it from Psytronik soon!

Writing from a B & B in Lincoln, Lincolnshire,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 23-24 Commodore Vegas Expo v7 2011 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-06-17
15:30:16

I just listen to the music again and again. I remember, I was impressed originally too, but now I just listened to the music.
I never thought, that such sounds could be taken from TED. So many effects, so finely crafted...

Congratulations!

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-06-20
02:31:41

Thanks happy I really enjoyed composing any single note of that music.

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-04-22
14:29:04

Guys, I am totally shocked, that this gem is already 9 years old!
Almost one decade passed! Unbelievable!

AIT still look and sound fresh, and I believe it was one of the milestones in Plus/4 gaming history with decent SW sprites. (and I feel getting old...).
If I remember well, even the C64 reviewers could hardly believe their eyes that a sw-sprite could be as good as shown in this game.

After almost one decade, herewith I congratulate again to the developers, this game is one of my all time favourites on this platform.

Posted By

Luca
on 2019-04-22
10:09:50

Thank you MMS! Wow 9 years, can't believe it...
Yes, although there were no software sprites involved, that game marks the beginning of a new era for the scene, a starting point that established new quality requirements for all the further productions from several users that shine on Plus/4 along all the last years.

Posted By

Mad
on 2019-04-22
13:02:23

Yes a huge milestone!

Couldn't believe why people in the past didn't take the Bitmap Mode for games. It would have made so much of a difference for the reception of this computer! I told a german podcast, that AIT is one of the biggest influences on the stuff I did. Love the music, the graphics, the controls and everything.

Kichy and Luca where pushing the Plus/4 into a new era with this (atleast they showed what can really be done with this)! Good, that both of em are masters on their fields! happy

Posted By

Mozar​tkügel
on 2019-04-29
01:38:24

I also remember when this game came out, I was really impressed with it, the graphics, the music, everything was great. It was my first contact with the c16/Plus4 since the 80s. At the time I was not yet fully drawn into the "retro home computer scene" but I agree with other posters here that it was a big stepping stone for the 264 series and for me personally it was a big step forward towards complete retromania, so thank you for that! grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024