Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
02:11:16
 Liberator

Loved this game so much! Unfortunately its playability is ravaged by that stupid non symmetric collision, which makes you die when a bullet passes below your ship and makes you survive when it comes upper

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-11-13
02:20:03
 Re: Liberator

and why u tell us that? happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
02:42:53

Oops sorry, I posted on englishgardens.com, my mistake, I'm so sorry wink

Posted By

TMR
on 2008-11-13
04:16:47

The obvious solution is to go in and fix it then...? =-)

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-13
05:18:14

Deeds, not words happy

I really like this "Game of the day" feature. Always makes me feel a bit nostalgic wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
06:36:02

Eh would be great, TMR! wink

Posted By

Chris
on 2008-11-13
08:09:22

Nice game, just been playing it after all those years. Shame you can't move left or right though

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
09:03:45

Eh? :o You can move everywhere in Liberator....

Posted By

Chris
on 2008-11-13
09:28:44

Nope, well not on the play online version wink

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-13
10:57:37

Mmmm... you sure? You can't in Yape either? I need to put it on a real machine...

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
11:02:53

Yes, happened the same to me

Posted By

Spector
on 2008-11-13
11:20:47

This is a delbirate attempt to get T.M.R to fix Liberator's faults after his work on Kikstart, and it's shamelessly obvious. I would never do that.

BTW, isn't it a pity that the scrolling in Skramble is jerky? It would be great if some programmer could come along and fix it... happy happy happy

Posted By

Spector
on 2008-11-13
11:22:09

That joke might have worked better if I had spelt 'deliberate' properly...

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
11:27:54

Oh well, with no sourcecode provided, it seems an impossible attempt...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-13
12:47:05

One can easily disassemble both Skramble and Liberator using DisAss. It is definitely possible to fix the bugs, but it's going to be very difficult and time consuming... And for what reward?

I did look at Skramble when Gaia mentioned it last time, but the delay loop he found wasn't even the in-game one. There's an in-game delay loop, which is a very weird way of doing the graphics, but the game was built that way... It's almost a complete rewrite.

I'll be the first to say we should fix buggy games (and I've done so with Oblido, Hyper Sports and Savage Island). But in these cases, I think we should enjoy them for what they are.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-13
13:00:35

Moreover, in this case, it's not debugging, should be called improving wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-13
14:58:43

Oops, was it really a different delay loop? happy Anyway, I stumbled upon it by chance and figured that could very well be the ingame one where the graphics syncing is done as it flickers so much. Quite a few games could be fixed against screen flicker, Shaun Southern's game being the counter examples that are always smooth (well, except Kikstart, which according to TMR has an odd scroll skip frame bug).

BTW, just tried Liberator in Yape and it moves in all directions, so Mike, you have some work to do :-)

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-13
15:11:58

Hey, this Liberator I have never seen before!
If it would have a faster graphics, would be the same as the C64 title oohhhhm, I think Sanxion?? Yeah, sanxion had little more freedom, and was fast as hell, two-way scrolling.
But very close.
Looking to the sprite emulation, did a fair job, just too slow...

Happy to have this "game of the day".

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-13
18:10:29

>BTW, just tried Liberator in Yape and it moves in all directions, so Mike, you have some work to do happy

MMM... I just tried too, and nothing. Whats your settings? If I set to cursor keys, I can only move up/down. I downloaded the latest yape as well. Are you using a real joystick?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-14
03:10:48

Nope I used the keyboard though I can not recall which setting (probably NumPad) happy

Is it possible that, say, JOY1 allows only horizontal movements, whereas JOY2 allows all directions? Just a guess and I can't try it right now.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-14
03:36:48

This game really has issues!!! happy

This is all on the latest version of YAPE.

If you play with the joystick on the keypad it works fine, if you play with them on the cursor keys you can only move up/down.

if you play on numpad then SWAP to the cursor keys, then swap BACK to the numpad, numpad no longer works either! very odd....

I think what I need to do is disable keyboard input on those keys while the joystick uses them. This will stop all collisions with other games for both space and cursors. There is still then the issue if you need a fire button and a space bar for say throwing bombs, but as I can't appear to read Contol/Alt/Shift indipendantly, I've no real choice at the moment..

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-14
10:31:50

Seems like I'll have some work to do, too? happy This is odd, though: we have partly the same bug independently of each other.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-14
10:47:04

If people can have the same ideas, why shouldn't they make the same mistakes? happy

Gaia, about which games were you talking, when you said "Quite a few games could be fixed against screen flicker..."?

Mostly, I agree with Csabo. But if it's not a complete re-write, then this would be interesting. Or make an enhanced version. Personally, I'd like to see Bomberman improved happy There's a fine Atari 8bit version out there:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=8&VERSION_ID=20831

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-14
11:14:57

Another simple explanation would be that the game uses a unique and/or weird TED thing, so neither emulator handles it right because the issue just hasn't come up yet.

Ozymandias, you know that a new, improved Bomberman is coming, don't you? Search the forums for it. (I wrote the music and the sound for it, yay me! happy) From what I hear, the graphics is done too (by Chronos, and the game is in a playable state, just needs to be completed. The person to bombard with emails would be DCD.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-14
11:34:08

I'm sorry, I meant BOMBJACK. Those crappy sprites really hurt.

Saw that Bomberman on YouTube. Looks awesome happy I can be patient. If development takes time, so be it.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-14
13:51:51

Csabo: it is a regression bug, the input setup has been revamped in Yape 0.80 as 0.79 does not have this bug. Coincidentally with Minus4j which is funny happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-15
11:46:43

Yape also seems to have a problem with Danger Diamonds....?
(I use yape as well as Minus4w to make sure its not a program bug.)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-15
17:09:45

It is not an emulation but a Windows input handler regression bug in Yape 0.80 it works in 0.79 fine (and in 0.81 too wink )

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-11-16
06:13:49

Erm... about Danger diamonds it appears that it does not like the Autostart, if you load it manually and type RUN, it works (probably the IRQ routine of the program is buggy and sometimes it would crash on the real iron as well). There are quite a few programs like this.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-16
07:29:24

Yeah, I did that. It then runs. But when you start the game it crashes.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-16
07:30:32

Oh.... and It does work online , so I figured it was an emulation problem..?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024