Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Byteman
on 2007-02-02
14:01:44
 Strange lines on screen

When game loads with kernel loader, there are this lines on screen:
http://www.sash-a.nm.ru/Commodore/Photos/kernel_loader.jpg

Must this line be on the screen during kernel loading?

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-02-02
14:22:35
 Re: Strange lines on screen

I think you're right, Sasha. You can reproduce the terribly bad effect in YAPE, detaching the KERNEL from /Configuration

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-02-02
16:17:55

A few questions...

Does this happen on one particular game, if so, which one? Is it on tape or disk?

Also, are you running it on a C16 or Plus4 (16K or 64K)?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2007-02-02
20:37:32

I have some programs that do that..... IIRC they're NTSC ports of PAL programs, and they do this on lockup or Run/Stop-Reset.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-02-03
01:30:12

I can't really make out what's on the screenshot, but is it this effect? POKE 65299,1 (Although that doesn't really relate to loading.)

Posted By

Byteman
on 2007-02-03
12:59:23

LOAD"" <RETURN>

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE
SEARCHING
FOUND <any name>

Lines appears.

This lines appears on my TV when loading MAIN loader. Before I expanded my C16 to 64k this lines were on the screen. In think, it is normally for C16, but...

Posted By

JamesC
on 2007-02-03
16:06:34

Oh, I understand now. When you're loading from tape, your screen isn't blanking like it should. You're getting (what you posted in the screenshot) instead of the blanking.

Does the program load anyway? Are you using the original BASIC/Kernal set?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-02-03
16:21:52

RAM size does not affect the KERNAL loading screen. It looks as if the TED's border flipflop did not turn on. From what I can see, the pattern is similar to the one that you can get when using the FF06 trick to remove the upper and lower borders, like here on this picture below. Anyway, since the TED's video shift register is running you end up with the data that is on the bus at that moment (= garbage). Could you double check if the pattern is similar to the one linked up here? The reasons? I can only guess... but most likely your TED chip is not 100% in order. You could try manually disabling the screen by typing POKE 65286,0 and see if you have something similar to the KERNAL loading pattern. But I assume it's too late now that you had expanded the memory... this is very odd, I can not explain it further...

Posted By

Byteman
on 2007-02-04
12:38:27

I has this lines in the middle of the screen then ACE Turbo loader is loading when Driller game decrunchers. The border is flashing, but in the middle there are lines.

(Russian text. I can't translate it into English) Полосы были всегда. В любом загрузчике (кроме NovaLoad) есть эти полосы. В эмуляторе во время загрузки игр ACE и ACE 2 разноцветные полосы моргают по всему экрану, а у меня моргает только бордюр экрана. По середине полосы...

(no topic)

The lines were always there. In any loader (except for NovaLoad), those lines exist. In the emulator during the loading of ACE and ACE 2, multicolored lines are blinking all over the screen, and in my case only the border of the screen is blinking. In the middle, the lines...

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-02-04
15:12:15

Seeing as turbo loaders also exhibit the problem, it seems unlikely that it's a ROM problem.

Which leaves the possibility of a broken TED, CPU or maybe the PLA.

Posted By

Byteman
on 2007-02-13
09:07:33

Russian text: Цвета не яркие, на бордюре экрана есть вертикальные полосы.

(no topic)

The colors are not bright, the border of the screen has vertical lines.

Posted By

Sidius
on 2007-02-14
01:11:36

Ok, here are the (roughly) translations from Sasha's russians text lines:

Text line 1:
"Strips were always. In any loader (except for NovaLoad) there are these strips.
In the emulator during loading games ACE and ACE 2 multi-coloured strips blink on all screen, and at me the border of the screen blinks only. On the middle of a strip..."

Text line 2:
"Colors not bright, on a border of the screen are vertical strips."

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-02-14
19:23:24

Sorry, I didn't get to it today, but I have a co-worker programmer who speaks Russian. I'll ask him tomorrow to translate it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-02-19
14:41:01

I added the translations today with the help of my co-worker, and I just realized that Sidius was doing the same thing! (D'oh!) Although my co-worker says his translation is better, he used to do this for a living wink Hope it helps.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-02-19
15:24:44

It's almost certainly a TED bug. I have made a small alteration to Yape's TED core and I believe I could reproduce your screenshot, have a look here: http://home.planet.nl/~grosz014/sasha_ted_bug.gif
Is this similar to what you see on your plus/4? If yes, then it is a TED chip bug, luckily it is not fatal. The colours probably come from a TV signal interference.

Posted By

Byteman
on 2007-02-21
06:21:57

Yes. I have this effect. And when tape stops, the lines flash slowly.

Colors come from VIDEO connector in VIDEO-IN on TV.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024