Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-02
12:07:58
 Package type

If we're going to build information on actual releases, we should probably also collect info on the package type. So, big time collectors, help me out! What type of packages are there?

- regular tape
- big box tape (like some Elite/Encore release)
- disk box

Do these have "proper" names?

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-01-02
14:09:55
 Re: Package type

O.K. Csabo i mean:

A regular tape is a Tape in the normal small Tape Chase.
Big Box means the boxes from Commodore Singel realeses
and a Disk Box hmmm i rhink its means the extra big box from Quiwi by Kingsoft or ACE by Cascade comes in it (not all then sometimes the ACE Disk is in a Map)

Posted By

Crown
on 2006-01-02
15:42:08

- regular tape case, just like any normal casette
- double size tape case, this contains two tapes side by side (most of the Gremlin releases are like this)
- clam shell, there is two types, one is the type used in the Commodore single releases, connecting edge being round, and the other type where the connecting edge is flat, most of the Kingsoft tape releases are like this.
- box A2 size (or close) Infocom and US Commodore releases
- book size box (cartridge releases US and Eropean)
- huge rounded edge clam shells (Markt&Technik releases, The Sales edge)
- huge flat edge clam shell (Tynesoft Games Creator, World Cup Carnival, Quiwi tape release)
- two tape rounded clam shell (Games Designer)
- folio type releases (Microdeal Super Hits, Cuthbert in the tombs of doom, Ace 2 disk release)
- custom boxes (Adventure International releases or the Anco Power Pack)

There are many types.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-01-02
16:18:46

The most common types of cases can be seen here:

The top two are the single cassette case and the double-size cassette case.

The bottom two are the 'clam shell' cases, although I have occasionally heard of the lower-left (large Gullwing Falcon) case referred to as a 'vinyl case' as it's practically a miniature version of a vinyl VHS case.

The other clam shell case was mostly used for Commodore releases, although a couple of other companies (such as Probe Software) sometimes used them as well.

However, there are loads of other package types (a few can be seen here)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-02
17:32:46

Hmm, okay. So then what should we store actually? Maybe just something simple like:
- Tape
- Double-tape
- Clam shell
- Box

The above sounds to be enough to cover everything without being too detailed. I'm thinking we need this just in case a company released the same software on the same medium in two different formats.

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-01-02
18:55:43

Where does Xcellor8 package go categorized?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-01-02
21:33:08

The Xcellor8 case is the same as the large Gullwing Falcon case in the first pic on my last post.

I suggest that this type of case be referred to as a 'Vinyl case' and the Commodore-style cases as 'Clam shell' to avoid (or at least reduce) confusion. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-02
22:04:41

So... Let's add
- Vinyl case
- Other
to the list, and we'll call that good. What about "condition"? This would be in the table of member inventory, i.e. when someone adds that they have a copy of XYZ software, they can mark down the condition of it. I suggest:
- Mint (sealed)
- Near mint (basically perfect but not sealed)
- Good
- Fair
- Poor
How does that sound?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-01-02
22:20:15

Add "Media only: missing package/instructions/other" as the very lowest possible.... it is possible to have a tape or disk but have lost the remainder.

Posted By

Crown
on 2006-01-03
06:06:54

Don't forget that sometimes they release it in the same medium same format, with multiple cover variants. Example Jump Jet vinyl case exists with three different known covers.

Posted By

Sidius
on 2006-01-03
06:47:38

Jump Jet with three different known covers ???

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-01-03
08:41:39

So the three different cover releases should count as three separate "release" records, right?

Posted By

Crown
on 2006-01-03
17:03:27

Yes pretty much

Sidius, I have a cover where it only says C16/Plus/4, no mention of the +16K requirements.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024