Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-02-22
03:00:15
 Yape priority

I made some tests and discovered that when Yape is run (as lone applicat running in the PC), it utilizes only the 50% of CPU resources (see task manager).
Time ago I read somewhere that there is a way to assign to an application a higher level of priority, by typing a line command (or saved in a .bat file) with some special options in.
Anybody know more?

(... or Gaia, could you inprove next release with this setting?)

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-02-22
10:55:16
 Re: Yape priority

The best method IMO is to make a batch file which contains the following (including quotation marks):

cd/d "C:yape directory"
start /high yape.exe

BTW, increasing the priority won't immediately change how much resources Yape uses (the Task Manager only shows what an application is using (or what it needs), not what is available to it). Priority only has an effect when running several programs at once. The only time Yape uses 100% resources is when it's in Warp mode happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-02-22
11:06:39

1) Thank you Ulysses777, but indeed in warp mode, on my PC, Yape uses exactly 50% of CPU timing.

2) What's that "cd/d" ?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-02-22
11:33:17

You can find 2) out by typing CD /? at the command prompt. Basically it allows you to change dir to a new on a new drive. (Let's say you are on D:, and you want to go to C:TEMP. CD C:TEMP won't work but CD /D C:TEMP will.)

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-02-22
11:33:50

>but indeed in warp mode, on my PC, Yape uses exactly 50% of CPU timing.

Hmmm...are you absoultely sure that there's nothing else running in the background that you haven't accounted for? I suggest you check the Task Manager closely for anything 'unusual'.

>What's that "cd/d" ?

Forgot to mention happy If you have the batch file in the same directory as Yape, you don't need that line (It's the CD (CHDIR) command with the /d switch). Otherwise it's needed (the /d part is required if you run the batch file in a different partition/drive to Yape). happy

Posted By

Crown
on 2005-02-23
06:55:14

50% usually means that you have either a dual CPU setup or a CPU with Hyper Threading (pseudo dual CPU setup).
In this case Yape or any other single threaded application can't use more then 50% of all available CPU resources.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-02-23
11:00:02

I believe you can turn off HyperThreading in the BIOS. That fact that in this case other - multithreaded - applications may suffer a decline in performance, is another story happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024