Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

vince
on 2004-10-01
03:50:09
 playing tape files

is there a program that will let me play the tape files from this site through my pc out of the sounblaster in to my plus 4 so can can play games as they were on real commodore hardware

Posted By

Gaia
on 2004-10-06
12:10:10
 Re: playing tape files

You could try saving with Yape in WAV format and downplay it thru the sound card to a real tape but It was not tested comprehensively. The best would be an external tool for this purpose, but the one that does exist supports only a certain type of loader (Kernal, Novaload, etc.) plus you need a special XE1541 cable, plus you need a C64... Look around here.

Posted By

vince
on 2004-10-12
02:21:57

This may do it but what i was realy looking for was a way to play stright in to the +4
there fore not need for a tape player pc to input socket on plus 4

Posted By

Gaia
on 2004-10-12
03:47:15

But then it's rather a hardware issue not software (you'd need a special cable for that). Maybe it could be done with an X1531 cable but then you have to do all the bit banging yourself, and I'm afraid that would not be possible without a kernel level driver.

Posted By

vince
on 2004-10-12
08:12:54

It was just a throught i was looking for the easiest way to play all the games

i all ready do this with my spectrum +3 set up giving a choice of 9000+ games
stright out of my soundblaster

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-10-12
11:04:59

It's easier to do it with Spectrum games, because they were designed to be played on old 'shoebox' cassette players. The only cassette player produced by Sinclair was the unit built into the Spectrum +2.

On the other hand, the Commodore computers required a dedicated cassette player.

Unfortunately (for Commodore) it doesn't quite explain why the Spectrum kernal loader is five times faster than Commodore's

Posted By

Crown
on 2004-10-12
11:23:48

One thing which adds to the slow speed of the Commodore Kernal loader is, that every file is actually saved twice on the tape..... Even the headers are saved twice.
One trick used in turbo loaders are that the header and the start code is saved only once, which is possible.

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-10-12
13:59:22

I've thought about this before but would be a work up.

You can get CD cassette adptors for car stereo's that dont have any kind of CD support ect... They just have a phone/headphone wire at one end meaning anything can be plugged into it from CD players, MP3 players to computers and so forth...

As long as you have awesome recordings of the original tapes and the correct volume level on play back I dont see why loads of games on CD playing from a CD player can not be loaded into the plus4 via this way.......... Or playing them from a PC sound card.

I guess its all down to how pure the sound from the CD adptor is and how good the recordings are.... and getting that all important volume play back level, but it should be possible??????????

Posted By

vince
on 2004-10-15
02:27:02

Yes good idea
this would seem best option

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024