Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-01-28
08:45:08
 German-chars

Who is so kind to supply me a table with the Plus4' keys used to obtain the german-chars (Ü, ß, etc.) in some patched programs?
Thank you.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2004-01-28
15:12:59
 Re: German-chars

Hmmm... sorry, but I don't understand your question.
Which programs? Because I don't think that - for example - the "Ü" is on the same Plus/4 key in every program that uses an "Ü". And I think the only program I know that uses umlauts is "Das Rätsel der 7. Kolonie"... Which other programs are there?

Best regards,
Thomas

Posted By

Adam
on 2004-01-28
16:51:10

Well, I think SVS thought of the layout of the german-localized Plus/4 (if any)..
If not, than I guess we'de need the apropriate PETSCII to ASCII codes for them. Most converters we have found only use the english charset, and the german specific characters are left out (and other worse things happen..)
I think that was what SVS thought of...If not, sorry to intervene, and I let SVS correct me wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2004-01-28
20:41:21

I am sure that someone else will post if I am incorrect.

As far as I can tell there is no specific German character set in the 264 series. I have consulted with my newly received books "Alles über den Plus4" from Markt&Technik as well as Kingsoft's "Das große PLUS/4 Buch"; Markt&Technik book has a PETSCII chart on pages 346-347, the Kingsoft book does not show a PETSCII chart at all.

Each program that offers German character support does so within its' own code, not through hardware. A sample would be Hungarian 3+1.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2004-01-28
21:09:32

More thoughts:

I have a Star Micronics NX-1000C printer with manual. The Star manual shows the following German characters are substituted for the standard ASCII codes as follows:

ASCII 91 = ALT+0196 on PC keyboard Ä
ASCII 92 = ALT+0246 ö
ASCII 93 = ALT+0220 Ü
ASCII 219 = ALT+0228 ä
ASCII 220 = ALT+0246 ö
ASCII 221 = ALT+0252 ü
ASCII 222 = ALT+0223 ß

You might check against a PC printer manual, this may not be standard PC ASCII but this printer manufacturer's specific interpretation.

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-01-29
03:01:20

Thank you for the answers, people.
Really I have to convert Script+ files to ASCII standard format.
As I see from the deep info coming from James, even Star printers do not use standard ASCII. (For example "ß" is ASCII 225 in the standard table). Mmm...
But I still remember the screen of a Plus4 prog where you were shown the table of german-keys and correspondant keyboard keys. Unfortunately I don't remember which Plus4 prog did this.

3+1 modified versions are not good, being the 3+1 format very different. In fact it uses Screen-codes to save text files.

At end, Thomas is right when he says that some text-adventures uses german-chars too.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2004-01-29
08:17:03

As far as I can tell there is no specific German character set in the 264 series.
I think so as well. I have to "German" Plus/4s, and there's nothing special about them. They're just like any other Plus/4. wink

Posted By

Crown
on 2004-02-12
21:24:14

There was a so called 'Deutscher Zeichensatz' (German Charset) released by Kingsoft. It is a 32K eprom, it both contains the standard and the modified charset, which is selectable with a switch. I just read a review about it in the Compute Mit 2/88 sonderheft. The german chars were at the 'standard location' so it was possible to use them on standard printers as well... On the cover photo it also say that it was compatible with Script Plus.

If somebody would have the ROM, we could see more.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-01-20
17:49:30

SVS...

That was probably the "Tastatur II" file (GeoPaint) in GEOS. But since this thread is 4 years old you probably have found a solution to the original problem anyway.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024