Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-19
 All Them Rare Games

I just love talking about this topic, so here it is again... With the addition of The Real Stunt Experts, I feel that we must have 99.9% of all the games out there, that were commercially published in England. All we have left are
- Hungarian, German or US releases
- Compilations
- Educational and other non-game software...

Am I right? Who knows. But we must be getting very close to the day when we can say: That's all there is. I wonder how that will feel, to know that there isn't any more rare games to discover. Any thoughts on this?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-19
 Re: All Them Rare Games

1942? wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-20

When there is no more to discover, then we code new ones! happy

I have, in the recent past, added those that were released by Commodore and Tri-Micro and a few other US software houses. As I go through old magazines and find more, I will notify Lando for addition to the database. I am still trying to archive old software for my site, to which I have no problem with Csabo and Lando linking to my download page for those titles.

The hard part is, as you Europeans have found, actually obtaining those titles. I hate downloading cracks and mods, then trying to make them work. I'm a purist like Lando, and will only accept as close to the original as I can obtain.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-09-20

Of course I agree with you all.
But please let me to tell a word about the undiscovered utilities. I'm sure there is much to search for in this field of software world.
For example JamesC a few months ago discovered the Tri-Micro gems, the unknown sole versions (and expanded) 3+1 programs. I'm sorry that there is so little reaction from the scene. I helped him a bit, by fixing some programs (and adding a bit of code), but nobody did wrote to us asking info on their use, or sending comments.
In my opinion that one was a discovery more important than a game.
What are your thinking?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-20

In one way or another we have most of them. Lets say 95-%. to be safe.

Elite did release a second compilation, I can't remember all for games but one was never released on its own. It's called Battle Ships I think. Must chase this one up.

1942, I still believe this was never released.
It would of been one of Elite's first releases and to be honest, yeah they were messy at the start because much of their early stuff wasn't easy to get hold of. I remember "4-1" was their first title to be wide spred or easy to find and I'm sure there are some that bought "4-1" before ever seeing the games available for it as single releases. So that is one story as to why we haven't seen it.....

I'm sure Tube Runner was the last game from Gremlin, yet we see adverts for Advenger and Thing on a Spring for our machine. There was no trouble at all to get hold of Gremlin games. It was around Tube Runner's release time that all support from them stopped. Amiga changed the face of many companys... Maybe why they never showed up?

Thai Boxing.. A Plus4 version was advertized. Take alook at the C64 version to see what were are missing. I have the advert some where. The old version that was out years before, that it is not because thre C16 isn't mentioned in the advert!

I'd like to find out what that compilation of the Cuthbert games was. 4 games in all and we dont have 100% correct records of them.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-20

95%? I think we have more than that... 1942 is a question that has been unanswered for far too long. I cannot count how many emails I sent to Elite, but they NEVER replied. Next week I'll fax them from work, and if they don't reply to that either, I will call them. Just to find out once and for all. If they even know, that is.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-20

Lando, did you ever locate 'Jeep Command'?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-21

James, No thats another missing from the list

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-21

Csabo, Maybe they dont reply because they dont have it. The staff line up may have changed over the last 20 years and no one knows? If you do phone them and with-in moments they say YES then I still wouldn't take that as a 100% answer. All to easy for anyone that doesn't know to check the web site.. LAME! We really need to see it some how to believe it and is going to be the hardest part of all

A safe bet is 95%. Including re-releases and compilations I'm sure there is still a small amount we dont have.

Part 2 of Block Busters would be nice, another thats missing. They soon add up wink

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-24

About 1942 again...

I'm beginning to support Lando's idea that it was never released.

First of all, I've found this advert on World of Spectrum for Elite's Encore range, which shows that 1942 was not available on the C16 (in the Encore range anyway).

Secondly, on the 1942 advert on this site, the part that shows the available formats appears to be a generic part of their advertising. An example is this advert, which seems to imply that Space Harrier was released for the C16 happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-24

Yeah, just maybe they were promised these games, but they never showed up.

Elites best offering on our machine was Paper Boy and it took the talent of a German programmer to do it! Just look at the past stuff Elite did, there was no way Paper Boy was going to happen unless they had a top guy on the project.

I was chatting to Luca a couple of years back about Space Harrier. I said it couldn't be done, then he said look at trailblzer happy
Once again it was a top programmer who created Trailblazer. So what chance did Space Harrier have 2 years before the release of this unique, one of a kind game on the C16/Plus4. Space Harrier on the C64 is rubbish! What hope did we have of a 16k version! wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-24

I too think that the game never existed! That's my theory too! I even posted that theory here, back in January... It's gotta be a typo. But what bothers me is that their current website says C16 right there. I want to hear it from them, that it's a mistake.

Posted By

Ádám
on 2003-09-24

Hello!

I would like to support SVS on his (re)quest to acquire more and more utilities...
You seem to concentrate too much on games -which is truly great- but if you want to stick to your goal to get as much SW on the Plus/4 as possible, you have to keep that in mind too...

SVS:My list containes some utilities, if you still can't get it right, write me please!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-09-24

There are a lot of editors to this site as far as I know. So are people with different interests (games, demos, utils etc.) Anyone can concentrate on and add content to their prefered area.

Games are exciting in my opinion, because that list is now ALMOST complete. And apart from the many Hungarian releases we have a working PRG or even a cover of most of them.

Also, I am still able to enjoy an old classic game or demo but I much prefer cross development tools over native plus/4 utilities.... Just to give you an example: there's no point in a diskcopy program anymore when you can do it by simply copying the D64 file happy I guess a lot of people shares this viewpoint, too.

Posted By

Ádám
on 2003-09-24

Gaia:Indeed, you are right of coure, but what I tried to say is that - with the goal ahead of this site to add just as many software as possible - utilites are somewhat neglected...
You are right in your other point as well that anyone could upload virtually any kind of software, but still...the periphery amongst the Plus/4 softwares would acquire a bit more attention; like a little child to grow...happy /hmps..How poetic I am today/

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024