Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
06:12:50
 is there a multicolor text mode?

mainly so i can do multicolor sprites. all the sprite routines seem to be in monochrome. any help would be appreciated.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-01-28
06:47:40
 Re: is there a multicolor text mode?

Multicolor text mode mixes both hires and multicolor at the same time, under a palette limitation: you can use the first 8 colors to be assigned as screen color.

While you are in the multicolor characters mode, if you assign any $XY color where Y=[0-7] to a character, it wil be hires; if you assign with Y=[8-F], it will have the same color as for the 0-7 case but it will be multicolor.

I'm surprised of this question, the C64 for example works the same way. Did you ever manage to code the sprites you cite, in the past?

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
06:58:43

how do i get into multicolour text mode?

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-01-28
07:03:45

Turning on the bit4 in $FF07:
>FF07 18

And for any new step-by-step doubt you'll have in the future, Ultimate Map contains all the possible future answers wink

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
07:17:19

ok, i just poked that value and it doesn't switch it into multicolor mode

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
08:19:46

The above does work, but in multicolor text mode not all characters will be multicolor. The highest bit of the color nibble will determine the mode: 0 = hires, 1 = multi.

If you want to do this in BASIC:

0 T=DEC("FF00")
1 POKET+7,PEEK(T+7)OR16
2 SCNCLR:COLOR1,9,4:PRINT"TEST"

If you want to just check it from Monitor:

>053B 49
>FF07 18

Note that you should NOT directly write this value to $FF07, as this clears the NTSC bit. The correct way to turn on multicolor text mode from machine language would be something like (depending on what you're trying to do):

LDA $FF07
ORA #$10
STA $FF07

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
09:22:18

thank you thats great, it works. im struggling with colors though. no matter how hard i try i can't seem to get it to change one of the colors. i.e the light blue.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
10:05:05

From BASIC, you can do this with:

COLOR 1, 7, 6 : REM change the color to hires light blue
COLOR 1, 7+8, 6 : REM change the color to multi light blue

Only color 1 has this restriction (and by "this", I mean that the high bit of the color nibble determines if it's hires or multi). For the other 3 colors available in multicolor mode ($FF15, $FF16 and $FF17) you can use any of the 121 colors as usual.

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
10:29:53

sorry, what i mean is i want to change the light blue color to something else

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
10:43:11

What light blue color? happy

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
10:58:00

actually it appears more as white on a purple background...

https://ibb.co/gJBfQG5

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
14:24:47

Ah, that's green actually. It's $FF17, so change it with POKEDEC("FF17"),0 - for example. (Also, you can post pictures on the forum by simply dragging them into the comment box.)

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-01-28
16:38:10

Certainly the built-in characters are not made for mulitcolor mode, so it depends on the character bitmap, what colors will appear from the defined ones.
Also the reduced x resolution make them hard to read, as seen in my multicolor gfx Christmas demo, when I wrote unmodifier characters on it in multicolor mode.

Certainly as some of the colors are common accross the screen, these need to be the color of the sprite, you can freely draw them anywhere on the screen. You do not have to touch even the color and luminance memory area, as they have no imapct on those two colors.
(In multicolor GFXmode the Color3 needs to be the sprite color, and it is global (next to background color), while in multilcolor character mode you have two fixed colors and only one free)

If you check the Magician's Curse game, it has one of the best sprite realization even I can understand (the Pet's Rescue has such an advanced engine it is hard to see what's happening happy )

I am almost sure that the two colored main charcter sprite is made from the two fix colors (darker red and pink) + background black color, so it can freely move across the background. The objects built up from the single free colored charcters+black background, as visible on the trees, or the house itself (the turquize windows are also built up from single characters made with only one free color).

The only thing I do not get, how the programmer made the house with the yellow top without color collision, as TWO free colors are not granted within a 4x8 characters, and that roof is definitely is the break of the rule with the diagonal shape. Noe of the colors (white and yellow) matches to the character color, so I am confused here.
The only explananation I have that probably the upper half of the screen has a different second fixed color, and because the character cannot jump so high on the "outside movement area" the two different second fix color would never meet.

It is also well visible in Invincible, that if you use always the same three colors in the game (almost) you do not need to take care of the attribute clash, if your character is not able to cross the parts have different free color than the main character. The main character here uses three colors (light yellow, pink, brown) + black background color, and you can hardly see any other colors in the player area. The grey of the stones is an exception, but the character cannot meet with those bricks, just able to jump over them)

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-01-28
19:58:05

Ref: House
My guess the background is white, the walls of the house are part the background and the roof is yellow & black.

Posted By

the777
on 2024-01-28
21:24:22

thank you. it works

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-01-29
04:41:26

@MIK it makes sense, but in this case even the black bacground is not a background color, so the spite uses all three colors, two fixed and one changeable. This would mean more programmng work.also how you could explain the higher priority bridge or the cross in the cemetery?

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-01-29
07:54:03

Only a Magician knows the true secret. happy
That normally means, if you think outside the box the answer is more simpler than we ever dreamed of. You could use memory wasting frames of animation to replace the main character so it's an illusion he's walking behind something, and whats infront becomes the character/sprite, but all this is slow and very long winded lol.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-01-29
09:02:04

Were you interested in some sprite's affair? Now we have a Sprites entry in the effects side of the Encyclopedia.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-01-29
10:29:16

Cool page and info! Animation really is the way for making the impossible happen. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024