Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-07-21
 BASIC quiz

What's the result of the following Basic line:?

PRINT INT(-3.1)

wink wink

S\_/S

Posted By

Noro
on 2003-07-21
 Re: BASIC quiz

31 °C

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-21

i think is should be -3. Or is it -4? happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-21

-4, shit happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-21

oops, i just ruined your quiz? happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-21

It does say -4. It seems to be rounding DOWN all the time, right? When rounding -3.1, we normally round UP to -3 (since -3 is more than -3.1). It's probably a feature, not a bug (or that's probably what the Commodore programmers would say wink)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-21

It boils down to mathematics and has nothing to do with Commodore or Microsoft. The result of an integer (denoted by [-3.1] in this case) operation is the largest integer that is not greater than the original. Among negative numbers it's the other way round than one would expect, since -3 is greater than -4.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-21

Okay, but then what about this: open Microsoft calculator on your Windows machine, type -3.1 and click Int. It rounds it to -3. Is that one then, that is exhibiting a major screw-up? happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-21

I'd say yes... It seems to do a TRUNC rather than a real INT happy You can check it in more serious programs like Openoffice Calc or Excel wink

Posted By

Crown
on 2003-07-21

Well, you should check first what the button does before assuming something about it...
Just right-click the Inv button, and select What's this, and read it... It does exactly what is written there....

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-21

In my Windows calculator there is no Inv button, but there's an Inv checkbox. I did right-click the Int button however, here's what that one says: "Displays the integer portion of a decimal value. To display the fractional portion of a decimal value, use Inv+Int. Keyboard equivalent = ;"

So we assumed that it would give us the integer portion, and the help also says it gives us the integer portion. One of us must be missing the point here... Or perhaps we're using different versions of the Windows calculator?

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-07-22

OK the quiz is over.
The right result is -4.
See the original Plus/4 C16 manual under INT function. It honestly clarifies that the function round to the *lower* integer.

Study people...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024