Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-08
 Site Improvements

I opened a new topic because the previous one got too long, but here it is anyway. I know it's boring, but I'd rather put down these few words so whoever is interested would know, and at least these improvements (changes) are documented. The Features section is now searchable (try searching for Camels at the Edge of Time, you now get a hit!). I also ported Lando's BitLive3 report to the features section.

The news is now available in Hungarian. This does mean doulbe work, but we have more and more Hungarian visitors, so there was a need. I will gladly add DE and IT fields to the database so that we would have it in German and Italian, but that means that someone has to volunteer to translate the news items. We'll see what the demand is.

Finally I enabled two new styles. Those have been in the works for a quite a while. You can pretty much ignore Metallic, it didn't turn out as nice as I would have hoped, but the New One (still unnamed) style is worth checking out. I intended it to be a new default for the site, we'll see. A lot of work went into it, and it was designed according to lots of people's input. (SVS, I remember you pointed out the black text over blue background - still needs fixing). It's not completely resizeable though, it may look weird with very large fonts, I'll work on that. But it does have a bunch of specials that only this style does (I especially like the forum layout with the alternating colors), so go and see.

Next we have one more section that is soon to be opened, and then I definitely have to change the menu bar on the site, to add links for the "unlinked" pages.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-08
 Re: Site Improvements

Yep, links to toplist and features are still missing.
Ps: coolblue style is unbeatable happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-07-09

I like the metallic-style too. Only a tip: have you tried to remove the black-lines and black contours of the frames? In my opinion this should be better (I mean only greytones).
Second: please remember my question about the "connected users" frame to be put on the top of page. Thanx.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-09

Csabo! You work a lot on this site! Thanx!

Posted By

Noro
on 2003-07-09
 Re: News in German

I don't know the real demand for news in German, but I would volunteer for the translation.

Posted By

Noro
on 2003-07-09

Csabo, while You are on the way of improvements, could You please add the voting results to the Games / Software lists? (Just in case You do not already have this on Your long To Do-list wink )

And another one, could You adjust the number of columns on the thumbnailed Games list to the window size or provide a way for the user to configure it and store this along in the Style cookie?
(On my screen I can go gor 7 columns, which saves a lot of scrolling)

Thanks for Your continuing effort (I wonder where You get the time for all that with Your )

PS: I am just testing the 'New One' style and I noticed that in the Reply mode the list of previous messages does not have the alternating colors as the regular list.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-07-09

Hey Csabo, good of you to add my bit3 page to the data base. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-07-09

Csabo, could you please send 4000 Euros to me? happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-09

OK Csabo, i have a better deal for you! Send 3K euros for ME, not 4K for Luca! Is it OK? happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-09

Well, I would like to say that IT'S ALL DONE, but I can't, because I don't have any extra euros to send out. No money to contribute to the scene, only my time and effort. The rest is pretty much there though... wink

Style has been renamed to Options. Those options let you customize these pages, so that everyone can surf Plus/4 World to their liking (hopefully). Let me know if there are any bugs, or if you have any further requests/comments.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-09

OK, if you don't have euros, i'll accept dollars wink
I just found the new features, they're c00l.

Posted By

Noro
on 2003-07-10

WOW Csabo, great work!

I would also accept for the translations wink

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-07-10

Csabo: THANX (from all us) happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-10

hehee i've found an error in voting!!!
click vote, click a score. Now navigate back and repeat as many times you want happy)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-10

Fixed, thanks for pointing it out. You only had a duplicate vote for one demo, I delete both votes so that you can vote again and decide which one to keep.

ps. I really think you should take another look at The Last Demo (23C). Weren't you a little impatient when checking it out?

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-11

OK, thanks happy I'll see that last demo.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-14

That "one more section" I was talking about in the first post was the Solutions, which is now online, along with the rest. I hope everyone likes the new menu bar. What about the voting, though? People haven't even voted for 50 demos altogether!

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-14

Voting, yeah happy Everyone votes on the best ones in both category. I don't think it's bad. If someone wants to see the best ones, he can find a realistic listing. About the bad ones: they are not so hard to find happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-15

they will vote with time... happy

Anyway, I think it would be better to write on the top of the two columns that "top games" and "top demos".

And one more important thing: As there are a lot of equal votes, I think the ones that was voted more should come first, like this:

Name votes score
xxxx 2 10
zzzzz 1 10

Ok, I think you got it... happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

I was about to say the very same! happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-15

I agree on the equal score thing. You could use the SQL function STDEV for this wink So you make two result fields with an AVG and an STDEV, and then ORDER by both happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

It would be sufficient to order by avg, votecount.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

My suggestions:
- forum messages should be ordered on descending time order (just like when replying)
- large forums should be broken down to pages. (10-20 messages per page)

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

Another suggestion: when posting a reply, the topic should be shown insted of the topic list.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-15

great work Csabo! Really, I mean it! It's for you:

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-15

I know I am horrible, but:

My suggestions:
- forum messages should be ordered on descending time order (just like when replying)
- large forums should be broken down to pages. (10-20 messages per page)

These should be in options... happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-15
 Re: STDEV

just to tease you MC: I think the STDEV (aka standard deviation) is a better measure. Just consider the case when the average of 2 games is 5 each with a total of 2 votes. But say, first has grades 1 and 9 and the other has two 5's... Obviously the more consistent vote is the one that is less "spread" happy In this case, the second one happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-15

Toplist Captions: Done. Toplist sorting: Done. Go to post after reply: Done. Show full toplist, not just first 50 entries: Done.

If you are logged in as a member, the toplist will display a * in front of games and demos that still need your vote.

I'm afraid I won't do sorting the topics backwards and breaking them by 20 at this time.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

goood work Csabo boy wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

Attila: yep, you're right happy And how does STDEV work out when there are 2 games: one of them has 5x 10 votes, the other 2x 10 happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-15
 Re: Topics backwards

Yes, both of you guys (Lavina and MC) are horrible. happy You guys are too used to the Hungarian forum on demoscene.hu. All normal sites work this way (e.g. Lemon64.com, Plus4.org to name a few), and most good bulletin boards available today (e.g. phpBB) also work this way.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-15
 Re: standard deviation

Indeed, the standard deviation will be 0 in both cases but of course it does not mean that the one demo is better than other only that it has been voted more times but that should not be a punishment to the less-known demo! happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-15

all forums i used a lot are working the way i described happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-07-15

I've had a look at the demoscene.hu forum (even though I don't understand much on ithappy ) and I don't like the post order at all.

IMO, I prefer to read a topic from start to finish, not the other way round. Reverse post order may be useful for stuff like that Plus4 revival topic with 900+ posts, but not for much else. happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-07-25

Time for new emoticons!!!

MSN Messenger Emoticons List

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024