Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-04
 Bug in Secret Mission +4

Who has finished this game? Probably nobody, since there seems to be a bug in it... Follow these steps (only the first 3 characters of the words are needed):

GET TAP, W, S, SIT, PRE RED, PRE WHI (picture is made)
GET UP, GET PIC, WAIT (until you hear something)
[find the saboteur - usually N, D, N)
GET SAB, FRI SAB, GET PIC
[go to long winding hallway - S, U]
U, N, SHOW PIC, BRE WIN, WITH TAP, SHOW PIC (tv deactivated)
GO WIN, GET KEY, GO WIN, PRE WHI, S, D, S, SIT
PRE WHI, UNL YEL

and now comes the hard part. By pressing three buttons (PRE YEL, PRE RED, PRE WHI) you are supposed to get another picture. I've played these exact steps with three games: the original C64 version, Atomic Mission (which is the same game, but released on a cartridge), and the converted Secret Mission. The first two are ok, but the last one isn't.

Secret Mission on the C64
VICE running the C64 version of Secret Mission

Atomic Mission on the +4
YAPE running Atomic Mission

Secret Mission on the +4
YAPE running Secret Mission +4

No matter what I tried, it just won't produce the picture. Which led me to the conclusion that Secret Mission is fatally bugged, probably an error during the conversion. Pigmy himself mentioned that he usually didn't play through his converted games. So is this really a bug? That would be too bad. First the bug Oblido, then the bug in Golden Baton, and now this. Any thoughts?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-04
 Re: Bug in Secret Mission +4

Secret Mission is actually using the same engine as the 2 other adventures I've just converted. Certain parts in the code were made dependant of the internal timer to randomise events. If that part was not converted properly, it may occur that the other branch in the code is never taken... I haven't yet checked it though in this very program.

I'll probably have a closer look at this one. If we're lucky it's just a one-byte fix.... If not, well, then a new conversion can be easily made happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-05
 Re: Randomized Events

You are right about certain things being random (e.g. the location where the dead sabouteur will turn up). However, this particular event is linear - not random in any way. This is what you are supposed to do, and it's crucial to finishing (or even continuing) the game.

The machine you are sitting in front of will give out pass cards. The sequence of buttons is always - RED - WHITE. The first time it's just RED - WHITE, it gives you a Visitor (lowest access) card to get through the white door. Behind the white door you find the yellow key to unlock the yellow button, so now YELLOW - RED - WHITE should give you a Window Maintenance (medium access) card to get you through the yellow door. This is what we can't get in the +4 version. Behind the yellow door is a blue key to unlock the blue button, and BLUE - RED - WHITE would give you the Security (highest access) card.

What I suspect it could be is an uninitialized variable... But even before checking into the code, has anyone else gotten this far in the game, or have a 'workaround'?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-07

it is 100 % that this bug is present and it is not random event, it is LINERAR!

I played all the adventures that I had, I finished them all, except this one. I wrote to 100+4 book authors, they confirmed, that this must be a bug.

IT IS FORE SURE, so DEBUG it, I WANT TO FINISH THIS GAME AT LAST!!!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-07

I think I already raised this question somewhere, maybe on the mailing list or on a forum somewhere...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-07

I will try to debug and fix it, but first I will work on Golden Baton. (First come, first serve wink) Meanwhile, if you want to play this game through, just play Atomic Mission. No pictures, but the game is exactly the same.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-17

I know but I want the piccys.. gimme piccys

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024