Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-11
07:50:32
 My new game flood16 for C16

I've made a video so that you can see the idea.
https://youtu.be/oqFLBqym6VQ

I've tested it a lot but if someone has some idea it will be welcomed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14sQpk5E1Yy0q-p8A0PvxxlmVrC8WF7qx/view?usp=sharing

Like my other game from last year this is a conversion of a game for VIC20+16k named floodvic. You can see the debugging thread here
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10330

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-05-11
09:43:13
 Re: My new game flood16 for C16

It's neat, I played a few rounds with it. Nice to see that it's mostly in English happy

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-11
10:05:47

OK I'll add some instructions in the database entry
Did you get to finish all the levels Csabo? I'm so used to it that I can't tell the difficulty.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-11
10:35:21

Nooo that's so cute!

In this game, the water is bad and the wine bottles are ok to be picked up: yes, this game is sooo me.

javierglez you've put a great gameplay in this, congrats, all the different weather's conditions are pure genius wink

Had just one round on it, and I noticed it didn't saved/reported the hiscore as "high", did I do something wrong?

EDIT: mmm...I'm trying to load it at best, but every time I load it, a wrong character appears as first digit of the hiscore, maybe the two things are linked in some ways...mmm...
If you eventually are going to do some fixes in the near future (but hey, don't take my words as the game would need it, eh! It's perfectly playable as it is now! wink), when you die, the fire button is still active to shoot.

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-11
11:45:55

Thanks.
The high score is updated when the game finishes, not in real time while you play.
I don't know, I've had errors related to memory inicialization, but I took time to fix that.
The program somewhat coexists with kernel, to use the load routines, and I use a lot of memory addresses in 0-$7FF.
I haven't tested it with jiffydos, maybe it's this.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-11
11:51:39

@javierglez: this is what I see once the game has been loaded, but the screenshots taken by Csabo don't show this weird bug, so it's probably me doing something incorrect with my YAPE...

and this is what I have with plus4emu:

Apparently, the hiscore hasn't been recorded just because the "broken" hiscore with the weird characters results to be higher than any other score with simple numbers ;)

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-11
12:07:32

Thanks, it's as if the highest byte of the hiscore held something different than zero, tomorrow I'll check Yape

(edit: OK you're right, I changed the location of hiscore and maybe it isn't being initialized anymore)

OK I add a link to the edited file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14sQpk5E1Yy0q-p8A0PvxxlmVrC8WF7qx/view?usp=sharing

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-05-11
15:12:45

Wow great game! Technically stunning for 16k, the big map seems to be char by char and the graphics really look awesome. Very nice vibe to the whole game. For me one of the best c16 games within the last years (of course the other games are very pretty, too). Nice one!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-05-11
15:40:21

I updated the ZIP on our site as well. This weekend... Let's Play Flood16! Oh wait, we don't do that anymore wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-11
15:48:47

Yay, now it works! Well played!

PS: the Tsunami screens are a fantastic idea!

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-12
03:16:27

Nice words coming from you guys, you keep the Plus/4 up there, this place is fantastic

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-12
10:54:08

Very neat looking game! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-14
11:12:13

@javierglez I've finally managed to have some free time to play Flood16 and I confirm my first impressions: great idea, cute development, a delicious game indeed, congrats happy

Given that it's absolutely a nice game as it is now, and that all in all this is your game as released as you wanted to have it, I dare to suggest to you something – maybe for a new or alternative version of it next to be in the near future – which could turn into a real..."game changer" (beg your pardon for the word pun grin ).

At this moment, the score is given only by the picked food, and this means that you finish the levels at the same score (1950, 4150, 6000, 8350...). Trying harder to solve a level, using less time and less health is not rewarded, but if you keep in count of the remaining health as a bonus (and further better: you put in a time-driven mystery bonus to reward the faster solvers wink ), the player is motivated to repeat the early levels, just to try harder in order to find a better route to finish a level!

Oh, that would raise my prod's vote a lot for sure grin Again, I'm only discussing the game, trying to be useful from the player's point of view, and just to spend some words chitchatting around your juicy (!) release grin

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-15
15:33:15

@Luca It does count health as a bonus, but just at the end of the game (just as my last years game, it's something I reused ...). I'll check if I can change it to the end of each level. (edit: it was an easy mod, it's still the same link https://drive.google.com/file/d/14sQpk5E1Yy0q-p8A0PvxxlmVrC8WF7qx/view?usp=sharing)

I'm aware it's a good game concept that could do better with better graphics and level design, but it was already a lot of work, and I don't enjoy these things.

For example, I'm using a pseudo-random number generator and it's choosing randomly from a small group of seeds, typically 0 to 3. Some levels would gain a lot with a convenient seed.

I'm using an Excel to draw the walls and this automates getting the background data. But even so I was lazy to experiment with it.

Changing the seeds and the circuits, the route thing you mention could improve a lot.

I used to do hydrology and flood maps for a living, it doesn't have much to do with this, other than the philosophy, but I mean, don't expect many more original ideas from me. I prefer to copy.

(edit: breaking the walls does subtract a little bit of health, it could have subtracted a little bit of score too)

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-16
12:40:34

Very well done @javierglez, now the challenge can really start! Any potential player is now pushed to do better than his previous score: a single health point saved more, or a single wall breaking less, and one can improve his performance.

My vote rises, of course wink Flood16 is a very clever idea and a great surprise to me.

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-27
17:18:28

Thanks Luca

I see most people who tried it got stuck in the tsunami screen. The trick is to wait for the rear wavefront to pass next to you, and then go out recklessly to the next wall, there's enough time most times. And in any case you loose more health if you get stuck inside a flooded wall than if a wave washes you, especially if you can walk in the opposite direction.

An alternative to go to the next level is to press keys ESC and + simultaneously.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-10-05
03:17:42

@javierglez: Zzap! Italia 6/91 review (Italian).

Posted By

orion70
on 2022-10-05
10:36:02

Not a fair review IMVHO. The yellow box says the game has all we would expect from a Commodore 16 1984 game, and if you ignore rough graphics and eight-pixels scrolling, it's a challenging, fun, and far from banal game. Better to play with than to look at. As you can see, the final score says that presentation, graphics, and sound are under par, but attractiveness and longevity contribute to a decent 73% grand total.

I'd say presentation 60%, graphics 70%, sound 60%, attractiveness 85%, longevity 85%, overall 80%. What the heck, it's a C16 game!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-10-05
10:47:00

I'm not disagreeing, but the 73% total from the magazine and you 80% total is very close. They just liked it a little less than you. Opinions are subjective by their nature.

An example of what's not fair IMHO would be like the K&A review of Arkanoid +4. They have two complaints, one of them is that the game should be sound effects only... And I'm like it's right there on the title screen! Press M to toggle it. Dude!... Anyway, I digress happy

Posted By

zzarko
on 2022-10-05
11:59:49

@javierglez: I got a bad review for a program that I wrote for C64 that controls a special hardware. Some dude tried it, sad that program froze, that he did not understand what to do with it, and gave a low score. Well, of course that it did not work without a hardware, and it did not matter that I posted a link to bitbucket page with explanations, that would be too much work...

So, do not be taken down by someone's bad review. Not all of us like same types of games, and that is fine. For me, your game is great!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-10-05
12:33:41

On that note, guys, if you like a game, play with it and submit your scores to the HOF wink

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-10-06
15:21:44

Thanks for the heads up, I think the review is fair, I don't enjoy doing graphics and I can't devote time either. I put music in the VIC20+16kb version, but not here.

Just last week I noticed the link to the review of my other game. They didn't like it, but I noticed their standards were inline with their other reviews.

TBH I feel honored, you have to take into consideration the kind of things people are bringing out for the C64, like this new Eye of the Beholder to which the programmer has (successfully) devoted his entire life.

I think this P.B. reviewer really likes VIC20 and/or C16.

BTW this saturday there's a meetup in Barcelona "Amstrad Eterno", I will be there with our friends Bieno, Kopsec, Bianchetti, I take a VIC20 and a C16-64kb, sometimes Kopsec takes another C16-64kb too.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024