Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Ferrie
on 2003-06-28
 RF501-c Drive

Hi There,
Does anyone know anything about a diskdrive called 'RF501-c' or 'RF501c'.

Thanx.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-06-28
 Re: RF501-c Drive

Yup. It's a 1541 clone. Csabo has one very similar to it, if not identical.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-06-28
 Re: RF501C

That's exactly what I have! Here is an older topic, complete with a picture of my drive: Click. It's mostly compatible with the 1541, that is I've never had a program that didn't run. One weird thing about it is its error messages, which are different (shorter) than the 1541.

Actually I may have a problem in Star Commander because of it. (When I delete a file, Star Commander always deletes it, then tells me the file is write protected and cannot be deleted). This MAY be because of it's weird error messages, I'm not sure. I've been in touch with the author, but he couldn't confirm it so far...

Anyway, why do you ask? happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-06-29

Csabo,

Maybe we should document these error messages...... if a program looks for DS that's fine but if it's matching on DS$ like Star Commander is doing, then there could be problems.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-06-29

Why error strings are shorter? Maybe (possible) to have more space for *other* (new) routines in ROM? What did tell the author?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-06-29

Why don't you guys dump the ROM of the drive? It can be done from software. If you wish I can send a program that does the job, your only job is to save the results to a floppy disk and transfer it to PC, so a comparison can be made.

Posted By

Ferrie
on 2003-06-29

I was looking for a drive and someone offered me this rf501-c drive. I didn't know what to think of it. Thats why. I think i'll just go with a standard commodore drive.
anyone interested?

Cheers

Posted By

Crown
on 2003-06-29

Talking about 1541 compatible clones and ROM dumping, if someone has an Ocean OC-118 (if I remember the model and number) which is also a 1541 compatible drive and was available around here, then its ROM should be also dumped.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-06-29
 Re: Ocean drive (was RF501-c Drive)

I have van Oceanic drive with JiffyDOS 5.0 (so the PRINTD DS$ command says), and I am going to make ROM dump soon. I expect it though to be almost identical to the 1541 ROM.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-06-29

Atilla, after you dump, please compare to the known aftermarket ROMs at ftp://arnold.c64.org/pub/utils/roms/ ..... and if it's different than the JiffyDOS there then it should be sumbitted.

I do not know if the Ocean used the 1541 JiffyDOS or a specific variant just for Ocean drives.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-06-30
 Re: ROM Dump

Why don't you guys dump the ROM of the drive?

I wanted to, but don't know how. Balázs sent me a program that would do it, but it's for the C64 so I couldn't use it. Let me know where I can get a ROM dumper, and I'll be happy to do the RF501C.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-01

OK, I'll test the program I've made to dump the ROM once again and send it to you over. It's a simple BASIC program that uses the "M-R" command of the drive.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024