Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Trypticon
on 2022-01-09
12:50:45
 New games from Japan

There's a Japanese YouTube channel called Retro PC showing games of a developer with included links for downloads, most of it for Japanese platforms, but there are also C16 ports:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHBAD3w-lMgN_fLF1hOAd1Q/search?query=c16

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-09
13:08:17
 Re: New games from Japan

Nuooo, fantastic news! Gonna handle the whole stuff, but the very first one I've tested is a clone of the historical cult game Bosconian! surprised

EDIT: Inufuto seems to do what Fabrizio Caruso did it too: develope a general language in order to port the same game on several different machines, and in the former case they're quite some exotic ones indeed! Of course, no scrolling has been inolved, and there's a large re-use of the same graphics (and somethimes music too...) and have simple mechanics with the same commands interface (Joy1, IJKL, cursors), but it's a very notable effort nonetheless, and both style and playability of the single games have that "crunchy" taste of the Japanese classics. I find all of those goames all lovable...and remember to play'em on a NTSC machine ;)

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-01-09
14:58:44

Wow, nice finding!

Especially Aerial looks to be a fun game for me, little similar to the classic Scramble, but with new angle of shoot and with boss fight happy (not to mention it has music too, Scramble's sound became a little tiring after some time)

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-09
15:11:32

@MMS: to say the whole story, all those game by Inufuto are heavily inspired by some coinops' classics from the 80ies, especially from the Namco's side: Aerial is a Konami's Scramble as you noted, but with the mechanics of Namco's Sky Kid; Ruptus comes straight from the classic Bosconian; Lift (Inufuto) has some resemblances with Mappy, Bootskell is a Pengo and so on...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-01-09
15:25:52

It's funny that if you search for the author's name, you get all the various system-specific forums where someone finds out that he dropped a bunch of games happy

Posted By

Trypticon
on 2022-01-09
19:21:12

Yeah, those games not necessarly expose the capabilities of a machine, but they have a certain old school appeal and the sheer amount of ports is impressive. Apparently, Tetris is considered the most ported game ever, but this is because the way it's counted with all the different companies involved which isn't quite the same as Inufuto's stuff.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-01-10
01:27:47

Very cool to have games from the land of the rising sun! happy

Posted By

George
on 2022-01-10
15:00:04

Great find!
I like the music and i think i can recognize a DigDug (one of my favourite games of all time) and a sky kid clone.
Impressive for how many machines he converted the game "Aerial" (for example). Many of them relativley unknown here (Pasopia 7, Sharp X1).

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-01-10
20:46:21

Great find! I really love the graphics of these ones. Seems the programmer is active since ages already!

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-01-11
15:13:04

I tried Aerial, and found to be a fun game, that increases the difficulty over the time.

It has a rather good hitbox too. Still, I had the strange feeling I am testing a BASIC game, it was pretty slow, I had to set the YAPE speed to 300% to get the same music as on the YT video. If you check the YT video, you can see the cursor blinking speed.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-11
15:37:17

@MMS as you could have seen from the Youtube video, the game works on NTSC machines. I initially assigned the "PAL only" tag to those 9 games, but Csabo has preferred to put "PAL & NTSC" because, though not actually playable, he said that the games don't crash due the format and this makes'em PAL compliant anyway.. Briefly: play'em NTSC wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-01-11
18:53:42

They are "PAL & NTSC", there's no ambiguity there. Also I added a "cheat" for all 9 to fix the PAL timing issue, so you can play them on PAL easily enough.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-11
19:22:01

@Csabo: good, this theme offers us the possibility of dissolving some shadows on the definitions. Those games have timings clearly adapted to run on NTSC systems, as seen on the author's video, but if I've got it, assigning the right tag is another matter, not necessarily linked to the previous feature. Hence, if there's no direct and deliberate video format assigning, which could point to NTSC or PAL, it should be considered "PAL & NTSC". Is this the actual reason behind the choice?

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-01-12
14:47:05

@Luca: thanks for the clarification. I will try it out!

Still, I have one question: from where it is visible, that it is an NTSC machine? Maybe the little strange border color?

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-12
16:19:13

@MMS: beg your pardon, are you referring relatively to the video of Aerial? If I've understood what you've asked, yes: both the video proportions (see the borders at the start) and that particular purple as $ff19 (check with the emulator, the palettes are different for the two video formats) indicate that this is NTSC, which also is a natural choice for a Japanese developer. And most of all, it works with no visible fixes, as suggested by Csabo to make it work on PAL too.

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-01-14
14:12:04

@Luca, yes, it was the question, thank you!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024