Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2021-04-09
08:20:59
 3D calculating

Do you know any PC routine able to calculate the bitmap of the frames of a simple 3D rotating solid? I attempted to reuse my little rotating logo patterns but they do not work for non-CBM apps.
Say a 16*16 or 25*25 figure.
Thank U!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-04-09
08:48:44
 Re: 3D calculating

"Calculate the bitmap" is a misty concept to me, you should just take X screenshots of your S faced solid rotated by 2*pi/X*S (single or multiple axes).

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-04-09
10:42:29

Create your 3D model in Blender and render it to pictures from a number of viewpoints.

Posted By

seff
on 2021-04-10
02:19:38

Here is a sample Python routine that draws a line strip. When you press 'q', it will quit.
You could modify it for 320x200 raster and save the bitmap for each rotation:

1. draw a line strip
2. save the current frame-buffer as a bitmap
3. rotate the camera or your object

It's in Python3 on Linux, no need for any compiler.

from OpenGL import *
from OpenGL.GL import *
import glfw

width = 320 * 5
height = 200 * 5

def draw_object():
# draw a line strip
glBegin(GL_LINE_STRIP)
if True: # to create an indent in Python
glColor3f(0.0, 0.9, 0.0)
glVertex2f(0.5, 0.5)
glVertex2f(0.4, 0.4)
glVertex2f(0.3, 0.3)
glVertex2f(0.5, 0.4)
glVertex2f(0.1, 0.5)
glVertex2f(-0.3, -0.4)
glVertex2f(0.3, 0.3)
glVertex2f(-0.9, 0.2)
glEnd()

def draw():
global width
global height

# draw my object
draw_object()

def process_input(window):
if glfw.get_key(window, glfw.KEY_Q) == glfw.PRESS:
glfw.set_window_should_close(window, True)

def main():
global width
global height

init_status = glfw.init()
if not init_status:
print('Cannot initialize glfw\n')
exit()

window = glfw.create_window(width, height, 'Triagle', None, None) # create window
if not window:
glfw.terminate()
print('Cannot create window\n')
exit()

glfw.set_window_pos(window, 480, 100)
glfw.make_context_current(window) # create opengl object and link it to window
glfw.swap_interval(1) # force swap interval

version = glGetString(GL_VERSION)
print(version)

while not glfw.window_should_close(window):
fb_size = glfw.get_framebuffer_size(window) # get current window width and height
width = fb_size[0]
height = fb_size[1]
glViewport(0, 0, width, height) # everytime the windows is resized - update viewport
glClearColor(0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 1) # set clear color
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT) # clear screen

draw()
process_input(window) # check keys

glfw.swap_buffers(window) # swap buffers
glfw.poll_events() # listen for window events

glfw.destroy_window(window)
glfw.terminate()
return 0

main()

Blender is a good option too, but then again you'd have to learn how to program/operate the piece of software.
IMHO OpenGL is a more programmatic approach to 2D/3D visualization.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-04-10
11:49:22

@Seff: Oh, so it is a problem that you have to learn operating a programme but it is not that you have to learn programming OpenGL. Interesting. I wouldn't have thought. wink

Posted By

seff
on 2021-04-10
16:00:25

@gerliczer it's just my point of view. I like Blender though. It's only that OpenGL is so simple when you relate to Plus/4.
For example two buffers: with Plus/4 you could have two video RAMs and swap them back and forth, say $2000 and $4000 every two frames to compensate on slow CPU operations. You'd keep on drawing your stuff in the back-buffer meanwhile the TED is working on the front-buffer.
Then you'd have to program your primitives to draw lines, circles, polygons, etc. Then you'd have to create matrix transformation operations. This means to create look-up tables with pre-defined sine/cosine functions to offset speed. These functions would not be in radians/degrees, but you would have to define your own metrics in 256 steps for 360 degrees to make it fast.
I tried to implement SRGP (low level OpenGL) on Plus/4 in 1994 and I gave it up in favor of 16/32-bit systems.
Plus/4 has been a great learning machine and still is a beautiful machine to program in 2021.

The bottom line is that to me OpenGL is very intuitive and fundamentally very close to Plus/4. Blender is a state-of-the-art graphics tool-set, but the learning curve is very steep. OpenGL is just closer to my heart and soul if you will...

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-04-18
01:37:43

If you are interested in that kind of stuff, TRSE just got the library for 3D. Here it is displayed for C64 and BBC, but there are plans to extend the support to other machines, so I guess it will be available at some point for Plus/4 too.

Youtube C64
Youtube BBC

It looks to me that it does what you wanted, but the drawing of lines is realtime, not with bitmaps.

Posted By

seff
on 2021-04-18
05:39:56

@zzarko nice!

Posted By

George
on 2021-04-18
10:28:45

@zzarko: