Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-03-12
17:26:11
 Old-school Six-pack

Logge's 1st DemoPlus/4 World is definitely the most complete archive of any and all Plus/4 software. Our slogan could be "If it's not here, it doesn't exist!" (But... that would be a dumb slogan, since we're aware that a lot of stuff is missing...) Anyway, today we've added a nice six-pack of old-school demos that were completely missing from our archives. A quick run-down: Newest Demo, Emi +4 4, The Best Hellmachine-Logo, Nils Holgersson Demo, Nemesis, Logge's 1st Demo. I'm sure a few of them will be new for most sceners.

Huge thanks to MCG for sending them to us! If you enjoy old-school demos, read on.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-03-12
17:26:11
 Re: Old-school Six-pack

Full disclosure: 3 of these were sent in 8 years ago :-/ I've slowly but diligently been working on processing all the stuff that was sent to us, and I'm back to 2013. There's really no justification here so let's just move past that.

I also want to mention that MCG's stuff has been slowly getting uploaded in a piecemeal fashion. If there are any regular visitors among you, you might have noticed these under the New Stuff section. The thing about those, I simply can't write a news entry for every couple of programs that get added - and I assume this would get very tedious very quickly anyway. It would be nicer perhaps, if all of these huge packs (like 50+ programs) were added all at once. However, it's so time-consuming... Each program has to be looked at; and usually when that happens, I find something else that needs to get taken care of. So really, the only way forward is to just do at least one or two programs per day, until it's all done.

And that's just me. I'd like to also mention that Ulysses777 has been uploading magazine type-ins recently. (BTW, some of you might not know, but if you're logged in it is now possible to add programs to the database, upload the program files and upload the screenshot for them. Previously this had to be done by someone with FTP access.) Additionally, Seff has been sending in new programs as well, see this forum thread. So, to wrap up this train of though: new stuff gets added all the time, if you don't watch the New Stuff section you might miss it. Have ideas? Let me know how to make this better.

Anyway, the point of this post was to take a look at a few of these demos in more detail. Because... demos are special!

We've turned up EMI +4 4 (uh, that naming is going to get messy) and The Best Hellmachine-Logo from TPSH. (BTW, "Hellmachine" is a literal translation of Pokolgép, a Hungarian metal band.)

Nemesis (had to avoid calling it Nemesis Demo since we already have one like that) is from GSL, a rare release IMHO.

Newest Demo - ugh, the naming... This demo is not sure about what to call itself. It's not great TBH, the LSS guys can't seem to figure out how to turn on multicolor. Also, parts of this demo appear in Land Mix. Code reuse FTW!

Nils Holgersson Demo is from two unknown sceners named Sword Soft. A title plus three pictures - hand drawn? If so, they are not bad IMHO. I was surprised to see this, never hard of it. (The title refers to a TV series that played in Hungary.)

Logge's 1st Demo is another oddity for me, never heard of it, don't remember this scener or the demo being mentioned in any mags. Anyway, it's not forever archived :-)

Thank you for reading my ramblings, Csabo out.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-03-12
19:32:34

These are the news I love the most, well done! Noises from an ancient era! Actually, GLS could have been in a group's attempt with Cannibal and TSC to form Coyotes...

Posted By

seff
on 2021-03-13
01:31:08

Csabo I just wanted to thank you (and the whole team) for maintaining and keeping up the Plus/4 World. It's a huge collaborative effort and it shows.

It's got to be tremendously tiring and tedious to process all the new arrivals. It's hard, because one has to screen the new piece of software, double check if it already exists, get a screenshot and write down a short description. I think some of the work could be off-loaded and pre-processed. Maybe we could fill in a form with the new title's name, description, add png screenshot, prg/d64 and upload. Then it would sit in a queue for validation.

This is by far the most comprehensive archive of C=264 software in the world. It's challenging to find something new. But then again, we're building a virtual technology museum and a heritage site for future generations, from Z1, Enigma, ENIAC, UNIVAC, C64, C264, Amiga to AWS and Azure supercomputers.

Thank you very much!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-03-13
06:00:31

About the mysterious group "Coyotes":

- in the last part of First GSL Demo, the author greets SCF tagging him on a bitmap, which will be later known as "The Brain" in the C64 scene: could he be the real "Brain"?

- again in First GSL Demo, there's a T.C.C. logo, does it ancestrally refer to "Coyotes", something like "The Coyotes Crew"?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-03-27
12:32:08

5 more rarities from MCG:

* Sinus Demo
* Tetris-Demo/TDD
* Tour De France
* Walk This way!
* Welcome/LSS

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-03-27
14:33:08

Walk This Way! by TCB, not The Codebuster/TCB?

Wow, they really come from a very distant era :o

EDIT: mh, what appears as evidence, is the lower quality of this one, compared to the TCB's digidemos of the same year...mmm...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-04-06
17:48:47

To those who care about old-school scene demos... It's quite unbelievable, but thanks to MCG we found some demos from... Coby: Hip-Hip Hurra and Mucsi: Salt'N Pepa. Several other demos, utilities - check the New Stuff page.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2021-04-07
10:52:00

I'm so disappointed! There is no Nils Holgersson title music as i expected in Nils Holgersson Demo sad

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-04-07
12:56:49

Chronos it could have been worse, the Italian opening is so sad it could make any kid run away from the tv set grin

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-04-07
14:50:41

The italian version is awesome.. Maybe thanks to not understanding any word there! happy

This is the German version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrCKqGdN4M&list=PLgMVBcgeWH-b-NaOZ10J3qb38oSXjhxhg

Sorry for being offtopic..

Posted By

Chronos
on 2021-04-07
16:18:21

The Hungarian and German version almost identical, even the slogan is the same, but the italians composed a fully different song.. Weird grin Anyway, one of my favourite cartoons back in the days, and i bet this was a secret plan of nippon manga factories to plant this style in our brain (The other one was "Csip Csup Csodák" or "Mrs. Pepper Pot" grin ..and it worked!

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-04-07
17:58:19

"Csip Csup Csodák" earworm.. grin Whatever that means.. grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-04-07
18:11:16

Heh, Italy has a very long tradition about Animes, because they became the saving anchors for many of the hundreds of little broadcasters born the days after the market's opening to privates: anime series of classic duration (26 or 52 episodes) were broadcasted continuously to fulfill the weekly schedules. That's the reason why the Italian kids have watched between 1/4 - 1/3 of the whole immense japanese production.

Being based on European novels (Alf Prøysen), series like Mrs. Pepper Pot were generally used by the Japanese producers in order to gain a "soft" access toward new foreign markets. The 130 episodes of "Supūn Obasan" (Spoon's Auntie, in Italy "Lo strano mondo di Minù") boasts the opening and ending sung by the unreachable princess of the Italian anime songs, Cristina D'Avena, and the lyrics are full of "mammamia", for the joy of any non-Italian grin

Posted By

Chronos
on 2021-04-08
04:00:07

Mad: It means rougly "mini miracles" grin

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-04-08
16:16:53

Wow! :D This italian stuff rocks too.. Nice that they had an so big Anime "scene" in Italy.. In Germany we only had a "anime saturday" it was custom for all germans (at least for me.. sometimes..) to stand up at 4 to watch all the stuff.. Later there was more stuff even on weekdays but if I remember right that was after the late 80s..

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-04-08
17:59:40

Mad right here in the Plus/4 scene, I learnt years ago that in Germany Captain Future is one of the most appreciated ancient Jap/EU cooperation animes of the era (several series were cooperation works in order to match the European tastes, like Ulysses 31), and I've appreciated all the SIDs covering the German opening, which I first met...brutally converted on Plus/4! grin Btw Captain Future's Italian song is one of my favourite ever, due to the fantastic orchestral addons inserted by the wise hand of the Maestro Vince Tempera, and I usually scream it loud while driving grin

But now, let's go back intopic! Csabo has found TCFS Demo (Part 11), an alternative part 11 to the ancient TCFS Demo and TCFS himself can't remember what it is happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024