Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-05-19
 TED noise generator

In case you are curious about in the inner workings of the TED, this might be of interest for you:

Taking advantage of espresso, I managed to "guess" the noise generator circuit from a sample provided to me by Attila. The analysis showed, that the sample with just off by 3-4 bits.

The TED noise generator consists of an 8-Bit linear feedback shift register with taps on bit 7,5,4 and 1. One of the shift register bits is directly connected to voice output. An 8-Bit LFSR generates a pseudo random sequence with a period of 255. Due to the short period, the "randomness" of the signal is not very good and you get audible repetitions. This is not how you should design a noise generator...

Circuit and C-Code shown below.

Credits go to Levente for sampling the signal and to Attila Grósz for supplying it to me. Keep up the good work with YAPE!

Tim
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Circuit:

____    ____    ____    ____    ____    ____    ____    ____
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| 7 <|--| 6 <|--| 5 <|--| 4 <|--| 3 <|--| 2 <|--| 1 <|--| 0 <|--+--> OUT
|____| |____| |____| |____| |____| |____| |____| |____| |
| | | | ______ |
| | | |___| | |
| | |___________________________| | |
| |___________________________________| XNOR |o-+
|___________________________________________________| |
|______|

#include "stdio.h"
void main(void)
{
int im=1;
while (1)
{
im=(im<<1)+(1^((im>>7)&1)^((im>>5)&1)^((im>>4)&1)^((im>>1)&1));
printf("%i",(im&1)?'1':'0');
}
}

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-05-20
 Re: TED noise generator

Very nice work! I wonder if this will be incorporated into YAPE. Now if we only new the REST of the TED this intimately wink (I took the liberty of adding a <PRE> tag around the circuit to preserve the formatting.)

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-05-20

Thanks for adding the Tags .. I was not aware of them being there, could have saved some time I spent on attempting to fix the circuit in the proportional font wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-05-20

It's already in! happy Unofrtunately there are a number of newly introduced bugs in 0.46 so I need fix it a little.

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-05-20

BTW, as many bugs as you'll fix, the TEDsound doesn't fart now! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024