Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-07
15:25:17
 The BASIC 10 Liners 2021 compo...

The BASIC 10 Liners 2021 compo is off to a good start: RoePipi submitted two C16 games called Good Monkey and Two Canaries Fighting. Check them out!

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2021-02-27
15:25:26
 Re: The BASIC 10 Liners 2021 compo...

With my 3rd 10-Liner contribution this year, a programming tool had to be built: PUR-120 EXTREME-256 input environment for BASIC 10 Liner Contests, which allows writing up to 251 characters long BASIC lines, so we can enter the bigger categories!! My first PUR-120 game is Spread, Reproduce, Fight which I programmed as a test. Well, we already had some serious fights at home! grin

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2021-02-28
18:05:47

Lumydctt - BASIC line-long challenge

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2021-03-01
09:24:16

Hi Charlemagne, I definitely want to try out lumydctt but my Win10 (Pro x64) has problems with its KERNELBASE.dll. The same happened 1-2 years earlier when I tried to run it. I will reinstall it soon (lived 2018-2021) as it has some other problems, too. I plan to develop more machine code stuff as well, and the built-in assembler is a bit... plain. So I need your IDE!! happy

Well, let's see what you did there in these screenshots, I like them anyway! happy

1. I don't understand what this warning sign means, but $10DB-$10FF are just filler bytes! I like to start my code at a round address! happy

2. Yes! This is what I want! Import my machine codes into lumydctt and work on them further! happy

3. Don't forget that PRINT itself counts as 1 byte, and the space char between the line number and the first token effectively doesn't exist! Of course, you can get another byte or two avoiding BASIC's tokenizer, but there's that 255-byte hard limit (including the chain and the line number) by the interpreter.

Also, about your message: No, I don't have a real machine. I did, but I especially fear booting up old hardware. So I'm interested in the computer logic itself, the structure, the limits, the environment.

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2021-03-01
16:04:26

Hi RoePipi,

1., 2.: "warning sign" = you need to delete those lines in order to run correctly. (LUMYDCTT reads the raw bytes from PRG and tries to understand it OR tries to understand the little BASIC program before the real assembly code, I do not remember exactly.)

3.: I have not tried how long a BASIC line can be in LUMYDCTT, but I know LUMYDCTT does not know the limit... happy Have a closer look at the next screenshot:
PRG format

As you can see, the "next line address pointer" is an unsigned word (0..65535), so only the people imagination is limited... happy

I do not understand why some of people cannot run LUMYDCTT, for example SVS... I do (and did) a lot of tests on very wide range of computer configurations and different operating systems. Did you read that part of Help System of LUMYDCTT is about hardware and software recommendations? (help.html -> "System requirements")

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2021-03-01
16:18:20

> As you can see, the "next line address pointer" is an unsigned word (0..65535), so only the people imagination is limited...

Have you tried it out? I browsed the ROM LIST around $8bbc a bit, I can't see any problems with it, but... my memories about creating >255 chars long lines are crashing the interpreter to a halt. Of course, I'd be the happiest programmer to put everything in one line! happy

> Did you read that part of Help System of LUMYDCTT is about hardware and software recommendations? (help.html -> "System requirements")

Yep, and I don't know what to do about it. On a fresh Win10 it just runs fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2021-03-02
05:16:33

Max 255 characters in a BASIC line

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2021-03-02
06:46:04

The question is... Should we hack it? happy

(Naah, 251 is plenty... On 88, I had to break lines where I just started to enjoy things, but 3x that is plenty... Now I have problems seeing how many screen lines are part of a BASIC line, especially when intermediary ones start with numbers...)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024