Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-01-15
16:47:48
 YAPE SDL cartridge emulation

After looking at VICE, plus4emu and YAPE SDL sources, I have found that YAPE SDL could be the easiest to hack in banking cartridge support. I have tried to load an existing cartridge file into YAPE SDL, but it doesn't seem to work, as nothing happens. If I restart the emulation, also nothing happens, like I hadn't loaded ROM image at all.

I have tried my own image, and also a Viduzzles CRT file fom here (the game I actually have on original cartridge), none of them work. So, does YAPE SDL supports cartridges at all? The version from Github is 0.70.2. I have placed a few printf statements in the code and the file is actually loaded.

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-01-15
18:46:05
 Re: YAPE SDL cartridge emulation

Also, whoever fixed my 264 collection links, THANKS!!! I didn't knew that it could be formatted like that, but now I know.

EDIT:
I have also tried to run my generated cartridge in plus4emu, but for some reason it freezes when I want to start the game. I have tried to run the code in its debugger, but when going step by step, the code works. The same cartridge image works on real Plus4 and on YAPE 1.1.8.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-01-15
19:45:34

Yoooou're welcome happy

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-01-16
12:52:56

I have finally managed to hack Plus4Emu to work with banking EPROM cartridge. Source will be available soon, after some more testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNOaaOBLZqs

Now the testing of the cartridge will be much faster happy

EDIT: If someone wants to experiment, I have posted the patch here:
https://github.com/istvan-v/plus4emu/issues/4

I have no idea how this could be compiled on windows, so if anyone wants to try to make that version, please do.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2021-01-16
10:52:39

looks promissing!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2021-01-16
13:25:03

Loading a cartridge from the GUI in yapeSDL only works in C64 mode for now. However, you can manually edit the yape.conf file in your home directory to add the cartridge and it should be loaded on startup.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-01-17
03:30:17

EDIT: If someone wants to experiment, I have posted the patch here:
https://github.com/istvan-v/plus4emu/issues/4

Is that how development under git should work? I thought it is done either by pull requests of forking and modifying.

On a related note, do we know how IstvanV can be contacted nowadays? He's missing for quite a long while now.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2021-01-17
13:04:55

Update: I posted a patch on Github as I realized it indeed didn't work grin I'll add an interface as well if I find the motivation.

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-01-18
12:10:41

@gerliczer: What I made really is a hack, not a proper way to implement a new cartridge in Plus4Emu, that is the main reason I didn't bother with forking or asking for a permission on that repository. However, the hack is good enough for cartridge development.

@Gaia: Wow, thanks, I'll check out the code!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024