Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2020-11-09
14:50:02
 Wonderfull OpenC16cart>how to burn eprom?

I bought some OpenC16cart PCBs. A friend wants to burn eproms for me.

The OpenC16cart switches between four 16kb/32kb roms by A14/A15 jumpers.

With one 64kb eprom you can store 4 16 kb roms (lo rom)
With two 64kb eproms you can store 4 32kb roms (lo+hi rom)

My question is: how to burn the roms on eprom? Just in blocks of 16kb one after another in a single binariefile?
Is it necessary to keep certain memory positions in mind (like I read about the $8000-$FFFF area).

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2020-11-11
04:03:22
 Re: Wonderfull OpenC16cart>how to burn eprom? No reaction?

No reaction? I found some threads about eprom burning, so I suppose there is expertise in the house.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-11-11
08:22:39
 Re: Wonderfull OpenC16cart>how to burn eprom?

I know this doesn't help answer your question - but at least it might give you peace of mind that your message has been seen: I know absolutely nothing about burning EPROMs. Sorry happy

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2020-11-11
08:46:51

I plan to give it a go with a modified Stange Odyssey cart but I'm still deciding on the EEPROM writer as I'd also like to write Atari 2600 carts.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-11-11
10:08:03

@Retroshire: I think, it would help those with relevant knowledge in helping you if they knew what is it you are having problem with. Specify the problem accurately, please. Do you want to burn existing cartridge images to EPROM? What images and how do you expect it to work? Do you want to write auto-starting EPROM program? Do you have problems using your EPROM burner? Something else?

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2020-11-12
05:17:37

This is what I hope to get at the end, 3 cartridge with the following programs:

OpenC16cart I

1 x 27c512 eprom, lo rom only:

Dual data copier (16kb)
Diag 264 (16kb)
Turbo 16 (16kb)
Vidpuzzles (16kb)

OpenC16cart II

1 x 27c512 eprom, lo rom only:

Strange Odyssey (16kb)
Atomic Mission (16kb)
Pirate Adventure (16kb)
Jack Attack (16kb)

OpenC16cart III

2 x 27c512 eprom, lo+hi:
Script Plus 16kb + 16kb
Calc Plus 16kb + 16kb
Tutor 16kb + 16 kb
Logo 16kb + 16kb

On the OpenC16cart there are two jumperselectors, on A14/A15:

ROM Image # A14 A15
1 L L
2 H L
3 L H
4 H H

So you select and autostart one program at the time.

The problem is that I don't know how to burn these CRT images on EPROM. Is it just one after another, or are there specific memoryadresses? If I understand it well, you have to merge the files in one .bin. Is there a CRT header to remove and how to do it?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-11-12
09:27:38

I cursorily checked the Jack Attack cartridge image for you. That is a single 16 kB raw image without any headers. If you want to use it, it would be most probably best to map it to ROM position C1 Low with those jumpers. Which I don't know how could be done as I'm not familiar with that OpenC16Cart thingie. I will not check the other images but my wild guess is that those will work the same.

I read a bit about OpenC16Cart. For the 16 kB ROMs you have to use only the LO ROM socket. For the 32 kB ROMs you have to use both sockets. The A15 and A14 jumpers will select which 16 kB slice of the 64 kB ROM will be paged into the given ROM page, low or high. If you want the 16 kB programs, take the images, simply concatenate them, burn it to the EPROM and place the chip into the LO ROM socket. The jumpers will select the active quarter of the memory. If you want the 32 kB programs, you have to split them into high and low halves (if it isn't done already), and put the low part into the EPROM going into the LO ROM socket and the high part into the EPROM going into the HI ROM socket. If you put more than one 32 kB programs into the cartridge then use the same concatenation method as in the previous case but care should be taken to populate the LO and HI ROMs with the program slices in the same order so the same jumper configuration could enable both parts for ease of use.

Posted By

C=Owl27
on 2020-11-14
01:55:14

I just used Dos to combine the 16k bins into one 64k bin.
That did the trick.
I was planning on making a tutorial with pics using a Minipro.
But in my case one of the four did not work.
I can not get the Basic 7 to work.
Has anyone successfully burned Basic 7 to a chip?

However the other three programs worked fine.

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-11-14
03:00:10

Retroshire I didn't answered on this topic because I had my wanna-burn-my-own-EPROMs in the past, with alternate lucky – more failures than successes i suggest you to follow the line of 2games, which is the tangible result of a similar thread on the German's most known forum (link in its notes), where to read step by step hints to program EPROm stuff in the working way wink Spoiler: some very useful .asm sources ready-to-use inside!

Plus, let me introduce you the known Plus/4 proper software dediacted to EPROM burning, here.

Posted By

C=Owl27
on 2020-11-15
05:01:59

Thank you Luca for those links.
I know I am still very much a novice at this Eprom programming.
I found it hard also finding information about this subject.
But piecing together what I found I made a little tutorial of the steps I took to burn a chip.
Again I am a novice but these steps worked for me anyways.
I would post the tutorial here but I seem to have lost that ability to use the img code in my post... again.
https://www.deviantart.com/chickengeorge88/journal/Commodore-Eprom-Programming-Tutorial-861253208

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2020-11-17
14:56:08

Thank you all for the replies. My friend burns the eproms for me, the way I understand after reading all this. Next week I will receive them and try. So, hopefully with some succes.

Nice tutorial C=owl

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024