Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2003-04-30
 Mobile C16

Hi All,

I have just ordered a new phone and it has Java games on it. This got me thinking about how cool it would be if Mike's Minus4j would work on a mobile and somehow be able to load C16 tapes. I'm sure it would be possible but not sure if a phones processor would be up to it?

Just a thought.

Aaron

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-30
 Re: Mobile C16

That would be awesome! Although the resolution of a cell phone display might be too small. I wish one of the emus ran on a Palm (or even a PocketPC). I have an old Palm III, which has 160*160, and it's not that fast. However, the new Tungsten is 320*320, and it has a newer, faster processor, so who knows...

Posted By

cfulcher
on 2003-06-09

Any of you guys tell me the best Emu to use and were to get some games of the net to play on it. Im looking for Kikstart and Treasure Island in particular. Any help would be great. could ya email me some news Cheers

colin.fulcher@argyllcollege.ac.uk

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-10

hm, maybe I don't understand something here... This is the main site for games 'n' stuff for the +4! the best emu can be downloaded from here: yape.plus4.net

The prg-s you mentioned are on this site: just visit the GAMES link up there under the COMMODORE PLUS/4 logo.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-09-23

Look what I've found:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4961/powerp4/

The thing is, the guy seems to have abandoned his project a long ago before even releasing anything to the public.

Posted By

Mike
on 2003-09-23

Since I currently write games for mobile phones I thought Id answer happy

Current J2ME is far too slow, even under a JIT engine, the CPU's just werent able to keep up. I tried Minus4j on a 64Mb, 206Mhz StrongARM, iPAQ (COMPAQ) running Jeode(I think), and it was running at around 14fps. Im sure this could be sped up, but Im not sure how much.

However... many phones are also running epoc, which allow "C" development, theres already a spectrum emulator and a C64 one running on some older nokia's. (the big one that folds in half).

As phones get quicker, this will become possible, but not quite yet.

The newer 400Mhz PDA's should be able to handle this though. Cant remember the names of them though..

Current J2ME phones will run at around 5fps if your lucky. It would be fun to take over Minus4 into J2ME except that there is no way to get good screen access. The only way to set/clear pixels is to PLOT them...BAD move...

The Nokia 7650 has some good screen extensions, but I dont have one of them.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-23

Currently the Tungsten C is the only handheld from Palm that runs on 400 Mhz. The rest (newer ones) are 144 Mhz. I just got a Zire71, so I'm a very happy camper! happy happy happy I asked both Attila and Crown whether there will be a Plus/4 emulator for the Palm... No definite answers though so far. We'll see. But it would be sooo cool though!

I think 14fps would be just fine. You can get used to it... It would be perfect for playing adventure games wink Still better than not having anything.

Posted By

Mike
on 2003-09-23

Oh... and for those after a CHEAP and FAST pda..

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=74877

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=37730

A sub 200 quid one... 300Mhz...(Battery life is around 12 hours!!)

http://dellware.euro.dell.com/dellstore/dellware/config/default.asp?s=uktra&cu=uktra&sbc=none&b=DUKLOSKU-210-12423

and a 400Mhz one...

http://dellware.euro.dell.com/dellstore/dellware/config/default.asp?s=uktra&cu=uktra&sbc=none&b=DUKLOSKU-210-12425

When I finally upgrade my casio, Im getting one of these happy

Posted By

Crown
on 2003-09-23

This Mhz thing is so misleading.... I have an Ipaq 3630 running on a 206Mhz Intel Strongarm cpu.
I've also had the chance to play around the last few days with an HP Ipaq 5550 (400Mhz Intel Xscale), the current flagship product, and I'm not impressed.
I haven't done any benchmarking, but my subjective feeling was that the 5550 responded slower, it could be tough that this was caused by the fact that somehow the touchscreen of the 5550 is quite insensitive, I just have to use a gentle touch on the 3630s surface while on the 5550 sometimes I really had to push the stylus hard at the screens to make the contact register.
Also on screen updates I still see lag on the 5550.

Mike you should try them out all, when you upgrade, specs is not everything with these machines.

The Zire71 is such a great bargain ! You get a pretty good all around Palm, it has high resolution screen, has a built in camera which makes quite OK pictures, and can also function as an MP3 player if you add an SD card to it. I've bought one for my girlfriend replacing an old Palm m100 and it was worth every cent.

I've seen the Tungsten C in action as well, that's something worth considering if you favor Palm over WinCE. It was really fast, the screen is really high quality, and the keyboard tough tiny, but seemed usable.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-09-24

It sounds like you think 12 hours battery life is a good thing... happy

My Palm Vx survives for 2 weeks without recharge happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-24

I second that. That's probably true in general for any Palm vs. WindowsCE based handhelds, the battery life is just uncomparable (Palm is better). I hope this won't turn into an M$ issue, but I would recommend Palm OS over WindowsCE (aka. PocketPC). Palm OS is very good! WindowsCE on the other hand... Do you really want to see "This program has performed an illegal operation and your handheld will be fried" type of message? happy

That's why I'm so sad that there's already a C64 emulator out there for the Pocket PC, but nothing for the Palm yet.

Posted By

Mike
on 2003-09-27

Well.... the "palm" is a bit crap really.... And I agree, 12Hours isnt that good - although Im assuming thats 12h "constant on", rather in stand by. By my psion lasts months - theres also a speccy emulator for that happy

I have gotten a shot of a Nokia7650, so Im gonna play with putting me emu on there, and see how fast it goes. However, please remember that it won't be good for adventures, due to lack of keyboard! happy

(PS. My casio only lasts for 6hours on...which is crap... but at least its got a backup battery, unlike the compaq wink )

Posted By

Mike
on 2003-09-27

http://www.wildpalm.co.uk/zxboy.html

Oh well.... speccy emulator on the 7650 (native)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024