Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2019-03-20
11:21:39
 After nearly two years, Plus4Emu...

After nearly two years, Plus4Emu has been updated. Check out what's new on the GitHub Homepage.

Posted By

bubis
on 2019-03-21
11:28:00
 Re: After nearly two years, Plus4Emu...

Thank you István!

Have to tell you that I have done some very wild TED hacks recently and Plus4Emu emulated them all faithfully.
It still amazes me how deeply you went into investigating this machine. Plus4Emu rocks!

Posted By

Luca
on 2019-03-21
12:14:34

Aaaah, a very good news! Thank you!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2019-03-21
15:04:18

Thumbs up!

Posted By

edhellon
on 2019-09-16
10:40:41

Has anyone tried running it on macOS? I've compiled it from source (pretty much default options) and it runs at about 23% speed on my MacBook Pro making it pretty much unusable as is...

Posted By

SVS
on 2019-09-17
15:01:22

Many thanks István happy happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2019-09-17
15:09:29

Unfortunately, I cannot really help solving MacOS issues, as I only use Linux and Windows, but bad performance like that is most often caused by OpenGL or audio related problems. To test the former, try running the emulator with the -no-opengl option. Audio issues could be solved by selecting a different device/API, or changing the latency and buffer parameters, or if nothing else helps, disabling audio output.

Posted By

register
on 2019-09-17
15:34:52

Hi IstvanV how do you build the Windows version? Do you cross-compile it from Linux or build on Windows using Mingw? Building all the dependencies seems to be pretty time consuming.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2019-09-17
15:59:34

Hi, for the Windows version I used the following MinGW packages (32 and 64 bit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a336x3bs1p0gv3t/mingw_w64-x86.7z?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ex0zxz7e6bmcb9r/mingw_w64-x64.7z?dl=1

These are old, but should work, and include all the library dependencies. I cross-compiled with Wine, however, building natively on Windows should be possible, too. To install one of the above packages, just extract it under C:, and add (for the 64 bit version) C:\mingw64\bin to the PATH environment variable. You also need Python and SCons, once those are installed and set up, a command like shown below builds everything:

scons win64=1 -j 4

Change win64 to win32 for a 32 bit version, the -j 4 is for parallel building (4 processes, obviously the best number depends on the CPU). There are some other options listed at the beginning of the SConstruct file.

The most recent Git sources (just updated) include a few fixes for building with Python 3, and environment variable related errors on Windows.

Finally, to create the installable Windows package, you need NSIS 2, and run makensis.exe on plus4emu.nsi under "installer".

Posted By

Lavina
on 2019-09-17
17:16:17

Would be cool to have an IPAD PRO version. At least I'd have a reasonable use for that tablet....

Posted By

bubis
on 2019-09-18
08:38:40

Thanks Istvan for the windows build details.

Edhellon: I don't know much about the Mac world, but my current boss uses Parallels Desktop to run Win10 on his laptop and you can use it with Linux too.

Posted By

edhellon
on 2019-09-18
08:47:36

Thanks for the tips. It was originally compiled w/o OpenGL support (Scons has trouble testing it on macOS), I think I managed to compile with OpenGL support (not quite sure TBH and had to patch the source here and there) and the performance was the same. Is there a way to know whether it's using the OpenGL driver? My suspicion is that it's so slow due to FLTK's window rendering being slow for whatever reason. I'll try running it w/o audio as well. So much work for wanting to see a few demos not on YouTube happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2019-09-18
13:21:04

OpenGL is the default, unless it is disabled at compile time, or with the -no-opengl command line option, or (unlikely) if creating an OpenGL window fails.

The Windows version does work with Wine, at least on Linux where I tested it.

Posted By

edhellon
on 2019-09-20
06:21:23

Switching off the sound fixes the performance issue (but leaves me with no sound obviously happy). Enabling or disabling OpenGL does not make any difference in performance. At least I know it's not FLTK (or OpenGL) but the sound driver for some reason... I may try to look into that. Thanks for the tips!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024