Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-08
 [16KDemoCompo] Lavina and his site disappeared!

Try yourself: the GOTU HP is unreachable, and we can't contact with him!
I still have a copy of my entry, maybe we should resend all of them?

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-10
 talked with Lavina

Hi Luca!

I managed to talk with Lavina on phone at the weekend (+3644315714). He said that he remembers only one entry for the 16K compo whitch is yours and Csabo has probably an entry too. happy According to his opinion it is not a problem if we send our entry for an other compo.
Anyway he changes workplace and that is way he is inaccessible by the net.

I will hopefully finish our demo this night! happy

bubis

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-10
 no

Sorry his phone num is +3644417668.

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-10
 Only 2?

I was remembering there was also a TLC entry...auff...

Levente, did you finished your demo?
Csabo, can you send your entry to me? I'm very curious...

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-10
 Csabo

Csabo has an unfinished one but he doesn't want to finish it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-03-10
 Re: Csabo

I guess I could be persuaded to finish it. Lavina said back then that once he would announce a deadline, he would leave like 2 months left. So because of that I never finished it, I figured I would do it once the deadline comes... Which never came.

Aww, it makes me so sad when we talk about this compo. I used to be so enthusiastic about it, I kept encouraging everyone to code, and kept bugging Lavina about the deadline. But no matter how we look at it, this compo is a disaster...

I'm not really interested in that other compo, so if you guys want to videotape + release yours that's fine. Maybe when I finish mine, we could put all three bundled together or something.

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-10
 Finish it, Csabo!

Finish the demo, then we'll release all the stuff (3, exactly wink) with a short text infofile.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-03-10
 Maybe *I* should have a demo contest?

Just an idea..... but what to give out as a prize? A printed certificate? A game? Some chips (CPU, TED)?

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-11
 Prize?

Dunno James, the compo died before we'd known happy
Really, no one asked for....we're so much happy to code some demos...

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-04-17
 Democompo

Ok, guys, I see some enthusiastic students here. So, You wanna compete? Ok, let's compete. There is the deadline, 01. sept. 2003. there is my homepage back on track, and the rule is also given (must work on original c16.) The scene will vote.

Satisfied? No? Ok. I will also code.

So, guys, try to beat me! wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-17
 Re: Democompo

Allright, a deadline in sight! I'm officially back to developing my demo. Last night I finally fixed a bug that has been there for months. I'm also making it NTSC compatible, which is really difficult. The point of any demo is to show off the machine's full capabilities. However, because the NTSC machines generate the frames faster, you cannot do as much as on the PAL machines. So there has to be extra code for each effect to take care of NTSC machines...

Lavina, you still have to me more specific about the rules. E.g. NTSC compatibilty should NOT be mandatory. Also, what about loading more parts from a disk? You just said "it has to work on an unexpanded C16". If one loads more code from the disk, you can compensate for the lack of memory... So just say in the rules that it has to be a one-file demo.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-04-17
 of course

it has to be one file. no loading.

What about decrunching, by the way? happy happy happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-17
 Re: Crunching

As long as it works within the C16's memory, compression or any other memory manipulation should be fine. My demo will be compressed for sure.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-04-17
 ok

but compression also should work only in the range till $3fff

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-18
 I may try to beat you

Well, september is far enough. I try to make something for the C16. But I don't promise I will!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-04-18
 go to my site

I updated my site, go and check it out.

http://www.nexus.hu/plus4

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-22
 Re: updated

What was updated? The compo rules were not.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-22
 Re: Update

Sure they were! The compo rules are now clearly stated under the "Contest" section. Two major points were added (which were known, or at least assumed previously, but not made official): it has to run on an unexpanded C16, that is, you can only use the memory below $3FFF. Plus, no loading extra parts or data from disk... happy

I guess what we will end up proving with this compo that the original, stock C16 was a very capable machine, but very few people took it to its limits.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-22
 re: update

Sorry! My browser cache...

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-24
 two effects

I've invented at least two effects in the last few days that works on the C16 so it becomes more and more possible that I will make a demo for this compo. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-24
 Re: two effects

Good to hear that, bubis! I'm glad you're hacking away at it.

You can do anything on the C16 though! Bobs, vectors, plasmas, FLI, DYCP, DYPP, scrollers, logo-movers, tech-tech, rasters... Whatever. For things where you would need tables, you can just do the actual calculation so the effect would have to be slower/smaller.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-24
 rules: drive

Can I use the drive as a secondary cpu?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-04-24
 Re: Rules

I'm not making the rules, but I'd think no. Even though not all of these little details are clearly specified, don't you have a feeling of what this compo is all about? Just demos for a C16. Imagine going to someone who just has a standard, lonely, underused, dusty Commodore 16 in their home, hook it up to a TV, and running these demos... They would be amazed of what the machine is capable of...

Whatever you are thinking about - the effect using the drive - do it anyway! But for this compo, you know, keep it simple... That's what I think.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-04-25
 re: rules

Ok, you are right! Stock c16 + (max) tape. happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-04-25
 Tape device

Too bad it did not have a CPU, right? happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-05-07
 once and for all....

What I meant is that the demo should work within the 16K territory, as on the Commdore 16. Of course the available free ram is smaller than 16k, but you adress the below $1000 territory also. Now go and code.

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-05-07
 SIDcard?

SIDcard should be a sort of demo-works-with-it-but-without-it-too stuff...
Hence, I wonder ye olde demo I coded (!?) for this compo would be accepted...or not?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-05-08
 sid

Luca! Your part qualifies. You were the first to send, so you deserve a special award anyway. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-05-12
 To Lavina

Did you keep my demo?
Otherwise, I'll resend it to you...

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-05-13
 luca part

I think I have it, but keep it ready until september... happy

Back to topReply to this topic