Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-11-12
02:13:08
 Re: Wanting to get started with the Plus/4

1. My opinion is that overheating is just an overrated humbug: open a Plus/4 and touch the ICs, you will agree the black box is one of the coldest machines in its genre. The real deal is the residual charge once the mahcine has been shut down, and the consequential damage MIK pointed out, in case of cable detaching.

2. Absolutely true, do it.

3. Although they're the same in the 99,9999% cases, I would swear they could react different in veeery rare cases of extreme coding ;)

4. There are tons of those SD2IECs, some are for Plus/4 too, but there's no specific hardware for it, so pick up your prefer one and let's go.

5. I'm aware that some experienced guys like e.g. The 8-bit Guy has just presented the machine with the 1551 as main disk driver, but that's not the truth: the 1551 is a splendid dedicated piece of hardware, but the real standard remains the classic 1541. Even on this site, you can see how much software offers a 1541/1551 choice to work, mainly because of the notable diffusion these machine had in Germany, but absolutely don't think at 1551 as the undisputed weapon into our arsenal ;)
Just to pick up your own example: our Pets Rescue game loads so fast not just due the 1551, but thank to bubis and BSZ who developed the fantastic Bitfire+4 trackloader; I by myself have performed all the main prerelease tests with my 1541II :)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024