Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2016-01-22
12:05:22
 Convert a GoatTracker tune to TED ?

Hi,
Is there a way to convert a C64 GoatTracker tune to TED ?
not a replayer but well a converter...
Thanks

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-01-23
11:50:37
 Re: Convert a GoatTracker tune to TED ?

I don't know GoatTracker unfortunately, but assuming it plays "normal" SID music, the answer is yes.

First off, you can just run the exact same code as on the C64, and call it SID support happy SID cards exist for the Plus/4, and it's not unheard of to have SID-only music in Plus/4 releases. One step better than that is to copy the $D400-1F area to $FD40 and $FE80, as more SID cards support reading from there.

Otherwise, you can use a converter, there's lots. Search the forum, there was a discussion about them recently. "Freq. converters" will play your SID tune using the TED's square waves (obviously it will sound quite different), "wave converters" will play "digi music" (much closer to the original but takes orders of magnitude more CPU).

Finally, another option is to write (or ask someone to write) dedicated TED tunes. There's now TEDzakker and KnaeckeTraecker, lots of folks use those, or there's my LOD player (also fast and full featured, source and many working examples available).

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-01-23
16:01:59

Just some little additions …

As Csabo mentioned above, in plus/4 scene lingo the two types of converters are called "freq. converters" and "wave converters". These may not be the most accurate terms but these are the established ones.

For SID support: Even better than just copying $D400-$D41f is to modify the original player to access $FD40-$FD5F (or $FE80-$FE9F) directly. Otherwise, you might introduce some unwanted effects. Furthermore, some SID cards do not support the original C64 clock frequency. So the music will have a different pitch when played on plus/4.

There is also another (though rarely applied) technique: SID tunes can be "pre-converted" with a special frequency converter. Thus, you and up with a really fast TED-player. However, I don't know if there's a dedicated program for this job. And I recall only one program using this method: Vector Victory converted by Csory.

Another option which I haven't seen (or heard wink ) very often: You can also use a freqency converter (or in this case: rather a SID to TED converter) and leave out the frequency conversion part (which takes some cycles) and modify the frequency table in the original (SID) player instead. This requires some knowledge of the original player, though. It's used in most parts of Magic Inspiration.

Posted By

4-Mat
on 2016-02-07
14:19:41

For Cosine's "Ted Storm" musicdisk I wrote a converter from GoatTracker .sng format to my driver, basically because I didn't want to write the music in source. But it only handles the first two channels and you still have to make the instruments in the source.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024